• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Kenny Pickett On Matt Canada ‘“I Feel Like I Do All Of The Great Things That He Wants”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have continued to stack the offensive side of the ball with players, and coaches that offensive coordinator Matt Canada is familiar with. This time with a quarterback that he’s very familiar with, Kenny Pickett . When Pickett becomes the starting quarterback for the Steelers there will be no more excuses for Canada. At that point if his offense doesn’t work it won’t be because he doesn’t have the right players for his system. It will be because his offense just doesn’t translate to the National Football League.

Steelers Select Pickett

SI.com

A New Jersey native, Pickett had originally committed to Temple University back in 2016, but changed his mind after a strong recruiting pitch from then Pitt offensive coordinator, Canada and head coach Pat Narduzzi. But by the time Pickett would ever step on the field for Pitt Canada would be gone heading to LSU by his own choice.

“I’m 100% committed to Pitt. My family and I had a great visit this weekend with Coach Narduzzi, Coach Canada, the players and the entire coaching staff,” Pickett would say back in 2016″

Now the two parties will get to work together, but this time on the other side of the practice fields, and the other side of the locker room. This time at the highest level. A level that will require them to lean on each other to succeed.

“I feel like I do all of the great things that he wants. That’s why he recruited me for his offense. I feel like that’s why I’m in Pittsburgh now, again. I can’t wait to get into it and obsess over the playbook.”

For all of the great things Ben Roethlisberger was, he wasn’t a great study guy. As time went on he hit the film room more, and became more of a student of the game. But for a lot of fans the effort by Pickett behind the scenes off the field will be a breathe of fresh air. Roethlisberger was able to go off of his shear talent, and play making ability, and it worked. But there was always the negative sentiment about his preparation. If he would’ve done just a little bit more in terms of preparation how many more Super Bowl trophies could’ve been in the trophy case.

Steelers Kenny Pickett: “We’re Going To Win A Super Bowl Soon”

Mike Tomlin, and Kevin Colbert both stated that Pickett will have an opportunity to compete for the starting job with Michell Trubisky, and Mason Rudolph, and the quicker he gets an understanding of the playbook the better of a chance he will have to make a push for the job. It would be stunning if he was able to beat out Trubisky considering the Steelers went out and signed him this off-season to presumedly lead the team this year as a rookie develops. But Pickett comes to the Steelers as the readiest quarterback from the draft.

“This is not to take anything away from Mason Rudolph and Mitch Trubisky,” Colbert said. “We’ve got three young quarterbacks. They’ll all be in it to see who becomes the starter. We have three good options.”

The move is damning to their opinion of Rudolph who has been on the roster for four seasons now. If they had any belief at all that Rudolph could be their man moving forward, they would’ve selected a different position last night. Someone like edge rusher Jermaine Johnson, or cornerback Trent McDuffie could’ve helped fill a need at depth on defense.

“We’ve got three young quarterbacks. We’ve got great competition. As Coach [Tomlin] mentioned, they’ll all be in it to see who becomes the starter. But I think now we’ve got three real good options.”

When asked about joining a three way competition for the starting spot, Pickett seemed at ease with it.

“I’m pretty familiar with competing. I’ve been doing it my whole life,” Pickett continued. “So, I know how to be a good teammate and compete at the same time.”

It was already going to be an interesting training camp with Rudolph competing against Trubisky, but now there isn’t going to be a single snap in Latrobe that doesn’t matter. There hasn’t been a legitimate three-way competition for the Steelers starting quarterback job since 1996 when Jim Miller, Mike Tomczak, and Kordell Stewart all had a chance to win the job. Miller ultimately won the spot but was benched by half time of the Steelers first regular season game. Stewart would continue his slash role, but take over as the starter the following season.

Kenny Pickett in a Steelers Uniform

Kenny Pickett photo shopped into a Steelers uniform – Source Unknown for Credit

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I think there is a reason why Canada has never lasted longer than two years in any job he’s had.

Who is Canada? What is it Canada wants? I forgot he brings a new improved offense to the Steelers

What exactly is it that Canada wants? I honestly don’t think he even knows.

Who is Canada? What is it Canada wants? I forgot he brings a new improved offense to the Steelers
If our offense is indeed new and improved, I’ll be as surprised as anyone. Hope there’s some good centers left in the draft.

You'll be singing his praises in less than a years time...patience. He didn't have a QB, now he has two that should be serviceable.

I'm willing to give Canada this year to show us what he's got.
As I've said countless times, his offense and Ben were NOT a good marriage.
That's why the Pickett selection is a bit confusing since he's essentially the same skillset as Mitch, just with smaller hands.

Canada was terrible though. He should have been able to adapt his offense to the players he had and make in-season and in-game adjustments. Most games we won were because Ben took over and they won in spite of Canaduh. We don't have a QB on the team now that can do that so we are stuck with exactly what Canaduh calls. Hopefully, he learned from last year because his lack of preparation, lack of adjustment, and getting rid of the no-huddle offense were just horrendous.

I'm willing to give Canada this year to show us what he's got.
As I've said countless times, his offense and Ben were NOT a good marriage.
That's why the Pickett selection is a bit confusing since he's essentially the same skillset as Mitch, just with smaller hands.
That’s the thing, a good coach works with the talent he has and plays to his strengths. A bad coach tries to pound the square peg into the round hole and force his system onto the team whether it’s suited for it or not. Because, you know, his system is so awesome.

That’s the thing, a good coach works with the talent he has and plays to his strengths. A bad coach tries to pound the square peg into the round hole and force his system onto the team whether it’s suited for it or not. Because, you know, his system is so awesome.
I understand.
However, Canada's offense is predicated on the RPO and the QB being under center for the majority of the plays.
Ben LOATHES being directly under center and wants to be in the shotgun running the hurry up for the majority of plays.
With Ben's resume, and the respect he's earned/time in the league/etc., he can check out of any play called in from Canada.
So I'm sure there's some plays Canada can call for Ben, his FULL playbook is almost worthless.
I have many theories, as we all do, and no citations to speak of.
But there have been comments from Rudolph and Haskins about Canada's full playbook and being comfortable under center.
I think last year was a hybrid year for Canada installing his offense and doing his best to make it work with Ben, who wanted nothing to do with learning a new system.
Like I said, just a bad marriage.
Your square peg round hole analogy has some weight, but that is usually reserved for a young QB that's going to be around for a few years.
Not a QB everyone knew was his last.

Can we all stop with the small hands talk?

The kid has been using them all his life and rather successfully I might add...

Strength of hands is the critical need when guiding and driving an abnormally shaped smooth object through the air accurately..

I understand.
However, Canada's offense is predicated on the RPO and the QB being under center for the majority of the plays.
Ben LOATHES being directly under center and wants to be in the shotgun running the hurry up for the majority of plays.
With Ben's resume, and the respect he's earned/time in the league/etc., he can check out of any play called in from Canada.
So I'm sure there's some plays Canada can call for Ben, his FULL playbook is almost worthless.
I have many theories, as we all do, and no citations to speak of.
But there have been comments from Rudolph and Haskins about Canada's full playbook and being comfortable under center.
I think last year was a hybrid year for Canada installing his offense and doing his best to make it work with Ben, who wanted nothing to do with learning a new system.
Like I said, just a bad marriage.
Your square peg round hole analogy has some weight, but that is usually reserved for a young QB that's going to be around for a few years.
Not a QB everyone knew was his last.

It certainly seemed that way, but then again, I guess I couldn't blame Ben. He knew he didn't have any time and certainly couldn't run from what was coming being that close to the line. Not in recent years anyway.

Exactly right again. Cantada is an obvious waste of space. His play-calling last year did not capitalize on the offense's strengths, and regardless of how many times his schemes continued to fail, he regurgitated them again and again hoping for a different result. I'm certain he'll suck balls again this year and come season's end, in an effort to cover his own incompetent ***, Dopey will either get rid of him or he will be forced to do so.

The kid has been using them all his life and rather successfully I might add...

Strength of hands is the critical need when guiding and driving an abnormally shaped smooth object through the air accurately..
He had 47 fumbles during his time at Pitt.
FORTY SEVEN.
It’s an obvious issue.

His girlfriend is pretty hot, so there is that.
I know there's not many wimmens here but I wear XL gloves and size 12 shoes.
Just sayin'.

You'll be singing his praises in less than a years time...patience. He didn't have a QB, now he has two that should be serviceable.
Good coaches make what they inherit better and find a way to produce despite roster shortcomings, the offense regressed, his motion and deception Tomlin raved about when they hired him fooled NFL defenses for about 2 games...who got better last year on offense? Canada is journeyman hack, 1 year at Pitt. 1 year at LSU, 1 year at Maryland....now he has a 1st rd QB to try to make better.....or ruin

It certainly seemed that way, but then again, I guess I couldn't blame Ben. He knew he didn't have any time and certainly couldn't run from what was coming being that close to the line. Not in recent years anyway.
That's a big part of it. It's difficult to judge Ben and Canada both because the OL was so bad last year, especially the two most important positions LT and C.
I don't see it being a lot better this year, even if they get some new players it will be mostly new again with a new coach again and take half a season again to jell and play well together.
I'd prefer that Trubisky starts since he's a vet and more accustomed to dealing with an NFL quality pass rush.

That's a big part of it. It's difficult to judge Ben and Canada both because the OL was so bad last year, especially the two most important positions LT and C.
I don't see it being a lot better this year, even if they get some new players it will be mostly new again with a new coach again and take half a season again to jell and play well together.
I'd prefer that Trubisky starts since he's a vet and more accustomed to dealing with an NFL quality pass rush.
My thoughts exactly.

Good coaches make what they inherit better and find a way to produce despite roster shortcomings, the offense regressed, his motion and deception Tomlin raved about when they hired him fooled NFL defenses for about 2 games...who got better last year on offense? Canada is journeyman hack, 1 year at Pitt. 1 year at LSU, 1 year at Maryland....now he has a 1st rd QB to try to make better.....or ruin
Yes, but you are putting what you saw on him...how much of it was Ben and what he wanted to do? We all heard Mason come out and basically say the offense was limited because they ran what Ben wanted. Ike Talylor has said the same thing about his time with the team. Ike stated unequivocally that Ben had way too much say in what the offense was.
We'll see what happens, but Canada is praised around the league. I believe.

Yes, but you are putting what you saw on him...how much of it was Ben and what he wanted to do? We all heard Mason come out and basically say the offense was limited because they ran what Ben wanted. Ike Talylor has said the same thing about his time with the team. Ike stated unequivocally that Ben had way too much say in what the offense was.
We'll see what happens, but Canada is praised around the league. I believe.
Yeah you're gonna need to back up your claim of Canada's praise from around the league, unless it's from defensive coaches who enjoyed going against his **** offense last year, I'm sure the Bengals DC is fully in favor of a long contract extension for Canada....

Ike Taylor's time in the league is no authority on last year and the job Canada did.

If Canada wasn't capable of building an offense that worked for Ben then he shouldn't have taken the job as OC last year.