• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Make Huge Mistake Not Handing Mike Munchak Blank Check

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have hired former Carolina Panthers and Los Angeles Chargers offensive line coach, Pat Meyer to lead the big guys up front. Meyer was in charge of a Panthers offensive line that was 20th in rushing yards per game in 2021. The Steelers were 30th so I guess that’s an upgrade?

We have named Pat Meyer as our offensive line coach.

— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) February 15, 2022

We all can hope for the sake of the offense’s success in 2022 that this unit up front makes a drastic improvement. With a quarterback situation that is in limbo, the rushing attack is going to need to be effective if the Steelers want a chance to compete in the AFC. The real question remains: did the Steelers reach out to former offensive line coach, Mike Munchak for this position? Munchak most recently held the position for the Denver Broncos and was not retained after turnover in the coaching department.

Najee Harris is a bright young star and the offensive line will be a focal point of the off-season for Mike Tomlin. It is baffling to me that, unless Munchak is planning to retire or has no interest in coaching anywhere, the first call wouldn’t have been to the guy who transformed and led one of the best offensive lines in the NFL from 2014-2018. Meyer has an underwhelming track record and while the hire could have been much worse, it also could have been a whole lot better. The Broncos have averaged 120 yards on the ground per game the last two years while the Steelers have averaged an embarrassing 86.9 yards each game. The Panthers were at about 107 in the last two seasons.

This is the most critical piece, other than a formidable quarterback, to staying competitive. An atrociously underperforming offensive line must make huge strides in 2022 or it could be ugly. Tomlin should have handed Munchak a blank check, moved his family out to Pittsburgh and whatever else he wanted in order to get him to commit to the Steelers. A rushing attack doesn’t just eat the clock and keep many of the stud quarterbacks on the sideline. It also opens up the play action in order for whoever is at quarterback to gain confidence in Matt Canada‘s offense.

The Steelers had incredible success when Munchak led the group and he only left to be closer to family, not because he wasn’t doing his job. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. For some reason, though, it wasn’t a perfect fit in Tomlin’s mind. Munchak has proven he can lead the offensive line in Pittsburgh and thrive while doing so. This one may come back to bite the Steelers in the butt. Munchak should have been the target.

Are you happy with the Steelers decision to hire Meyer? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I don’t think this does anything to disprove the theory that Munchak wanted out for other reasons… he was a no brainer unless he didn’t want to be here or they didn’t want him back

I really get the feeling that he didn't want to work under this current leadership team, and they don't want him on theirs.

I said this in the other post about this hire. Munchak apparently left to be near his family. His family is still in Denver so why would he come back to Pittsburgh. People act like he was definitely coming back when it probably never even entered his mind. Sure, there could be other things involved but we have never seen or heard anything so him not coming back should not be a surprise.

If he wanted to be here he would have stayed. And i still think there was more to him leaving than just family. He was just to classy to ever say it.

Man all this speculation Munch not wanting to come back because of Tomlin is lazy. He’s only said it several times on record after his contract ended that he had a chance to coach and be near his daughters and grandchildren. One is near Denver, the other is in CA. He hasn't accepted any other offers from anyone (yet) and it’s likely he will retire from coaching as well as he enjoys being close to his kids. He’s only been coaching for almost 28 years, after PLAYING 11 years. Close to 40 years, seems like a long time to pick up and move again. Surely there are those other idiosyncrasies that Tomlin has that can be revisited instead of including Munch in a narrative.

Man all this speculation Munch not wanting to come back because of Tomlin is lazy. He’s only said it several times on record after his contract ended that he had a chance to coach and be near his daughters and grandchildren. One is near Denver, the other is in CA. He hasn't accepted any other offers from anyone (yet) and it’s likely he will retire from coaching as well as he enjoys being close to his kids. He’s only been coaching for almost 28 years, after PLAYING 11 years. Close to 40 years, seems like a long time to pick up and move again. Surely there are those other idiosyncrasies that Tomlin has that can be revisited instead of including Munch in a narrative.
Well, since the article was an almost subtle "Tomlin Hit Piece", you can't reasonably expect the responses to be anything but heaping on.
I mean:

" Tomlin should have handed Munchak a blank check, moved his family out to Pittsburgh and whatever else he wanted in order to get him to commit to the Steelers"
I was unaware that Tomlin wrote, OK'd and signed off on checks for the Steelers organization. Would have thought that would be the owner.

And let's be clear, Munchak took an OL that had THREE first or second round picks and made them better. Three top picks, a veteran UDFA who had already been punching above his perceived value and showed no sign of slowing down (Foster). It wasn't that great of leap to think he could do something with that group. Where he did do a great job was developing Al and Beachum. But, for the most part, he was given the assets to succeed up front and he did his job.

I agree totally.. a good line coach worth his weight in gold.. good teams have good line coaches and don’t waste high picks on offensive linemen. rooneys are too cheap noll, cowher, now tomlin doesn’t matter Steelers always have the cheapest coaching staffs. 49ers looking for best young minds in the game Steelers be looking for retreads, desperate men starving for a pay check one step up from being a hobo!

Dang gummit!!! You're messin' up the agenda with your truth juice!!!🤣

Well, since the article was an almost subtle "Tomlin Hit Piece", you can't reasonably expect the responses to be anything but heaping on.
I mean:

" Tomlin should have handed Munchak a blank check, moved his family out to Pittsburgh and whatever else he wanted in order to get him to commit to the Steelers"
I was unaware that Tomlin wrote, OK'd and signed off on checks for the Steelers organization. Would have thought that would be the owner.

And let's be clear, Munchak took an OL that had THREE first or second round picks and made them better. Three top picks, a veteran UDFA who had already been punching above his perceived value and showed no sign of slowing down (Foster). It wasn't that great of leap to think he could do something with that group. Where he did do a great job was developing Al and Beachum. But, for the most part, he was given the assets to succeed up front and he did his job.
More...

I agree totally.. a good line coach worth his weight in gold.. good teams have good line coaches and don’t waste high picks on offensive linemen. rooneys are too cheap noll, cowher, now tomlin doesn’t matter Steelers always have the cheapest coaching staffs. 49ers looking for best young minds in the game Steelers be looking for retreads, desperate men starving for a pay check one step up from being a hobo!
So should they have gone after the lady OL coach in SF??? I can already hear the moaning and gnashing of teeth had that happened...

I wanted Mike Munchak more than anything - I really thought that he would be the key to our turnaround - to overcome Tomlin's seeming lack of ability to develop players - or to acquire coaches that can.

I wanted the 'Nicola Tesla' of offensive line coaches.
The Steelers gave us Thomas Midgley Jr.

Last edited:
Rumor is you asked for too much money.

And they said I don't think we want a guy named "Blitz" to be overseeing the protection of our QB.

I say cope needs to reach out for an interview and ask all these questions to munchak

Kind of like he did with Loudermilk.................................?

Salute the nation

No crying if they overrode him and threw Green back at center. 😁

Could be both as Blitz is known for "Crying & Moaning",............................. sometime even pissiN

Salute the nation

I don’t think this does anything to disprove the theory that Munchak wanted out for other reasons… he was a no brainer unless he didn’t want to be here or they didn’t want him back

Yep and this time him being with his family had nothing to do with it, nor did it when he left. Tomlin isn't comfortable with Steeler coach wearing a gold jacket.

Yep and this time him being with his family had nothing to do with it, nor did it when he left. Tomlin isn't comfortable with Steeler coach wearing a gold jacket.
Sure Genius….he only had one on his staff for 11 years. He even had two HOF coaches one year. So he’s been uncomfortable for a long while. Looks like the boarding school you went to these last few months was a waste of money.

Word is Munchak has decided to not coach in 2022. Taking sabbatical.
If that’s true, where is the link. We need to send it to Coach and paint it on his forehead.

I do think Munch left for reasons unsaid partly and partly to be closer to his family.

WHY on earth did the STEELERS not reach out ? Maybe they did but we don't know as it wasn't released or made public but that also points to him leaving for more than family reason.

In any event welcoe the ne OL coach and lets see what he can do with this young group.

Salute the nation