• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Make Huge Mistake Not Handing Mike Munchak Blank Check

The Pittsburgh Steelers have hired former Carolina Panthers and Los Angeles Chargers offensive line coach, Pat Meyer to lead the big guys up front. Meyer was in charge of a Panthers offensive line that was 20th in rushing yards per game in 2021. The Steelers were 30th so I guess that’s an upgrade?

We all can hope for the sake of the offense’s success in 2022 that this unit up front makes a drastic improvement. With a quarterback situation that is in limbo, the rushing attack is going to need to be effective if the Steelers want a chance to compete in the AFC. The real question remains: did the Steelers reach out to former offensive line coach, Mike Munchak for this position? Munchak most recently held the position for the Denver Broncos and was not retained after turnover in the coaching department.

Najee Harris is a bright young star and the offensive line will be a focal point of the off-season for Mike Tomlin. It is baffling to me that, unless Munchak is planning to retire or has no interest in coaching anywhere, the first call wouldn’t have been to the guy who transformed and led one of the best offensive lines in the NFL from 2014-2018. Meyer has an underwhelming track record and while the hire could have been much worse, it also could have been a whole lot better. The Broncos have averaged 120 yards on the ground per game the last two years while the Steelers have averaged an embarrassing 86.9 yards each game. The Panthers were at about 107 in the last two seasons.

This is the most critical piece, other than a formidable quarterback, to staying competitive. An atrociously underperforming offensive line must make huge strides in 2022 or it could be ugly. Tomlin should have handed Munchak a blank check, moved his family out to Pittsburgh and whatever else he wanted in order to get him to commit to the Steelers. A rushing attack doesn’t just eat the clock and keep many of the stud quarterbacks on the sideline. It also opens up the play action in order for whoever is at quarterback to gain confidence in Matt Canada‘s offense.

The Steelers had incredible success when Munchak led the group and he only left to be closer to family, not because he wasn’t doing his job. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. For some reason, though, it wasn’t a perfect fit in Tomlin’s mind. Munchak has proven he can lead the offensive line in Pittsburgh and thrive while doing so. This one may come back to bite the Steelers in the butt. Munchak should have been the target.

Are you happy with the Steelers decision to hire Meyer? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
He will not come back and work for Mike tomlin.
Tomlin is turning us into the bungles. Munch couldn’t get out fast enough

He will not come back and work for Mike tomlin.
Tomlin is turning us into the bungles. Munch couldn’t get out fast enough
wait the Bungles now? Super Bowl Guys or the Bengals of yesteryear *******.

New poster immediately comes in and focuses on Tomlin. If you are going to troll atleast choose a team that actually is trash now.

Sure Genius….he only had one on his staff for 11 years. He even had two HOF coaches one year. So he’s been uncomfortable for a long while. Looks like the boarding school you went to these last few months was a waste of money.
Well, in fairness it turns out Tomlin told the best def coord in the history of the game to sit down & stop calling the defense...

So maybe he isn't too comfortable with not looking like the smartest guy in the room.

Well, in fairness it turns out Tomlin told the best def coord in the history of the game to sit down & stop calling the defense...

So maybe he isn't too comfortable with not looking like the smartest guy in the room.
C’mon Wig even if one has soured on Tomlin that’s a reach in the rationale department. Chin had Coach LeBeau for 5 years and he admitted he called plays on D as well. In fact didn’t someone post an article a couple weeks ago that Cowher called himself the DC when he was HC?

Sorry, but that is a really poorly written piece. It’s click bait with little substance at all to it.

only pissiN I have been doing lately is on the Luxury S10

You, You're that guy. I've been setting traps, set up video cameras, even gaurd dogs ONLY to have you evade them............. You sure you got the right LUXURY S10 ?

Smile a little, laugh a lot......... all good Blitz

Salute the nation

I hope I’m wrong but I personally could see this team lead by Nike Tomlin become the Bengals of yesterday while the bengals become the steelers of years past.
Tomlin bas already become the first coach in 50 years to go 5 years with Steelers and not win a playoff game.

Call me crazy but I’m concerned

I hope I’m wrong but I personally could see this team lead by Nike Tomlin become the Bengals of yesterday while the bengals become the steelers of years past.
Tomlin bas already become the first coach in 50 years to go 5 years with Steelers and not win a playoff game.

we are doing Scrooge, right? Ghosts

Probably should call you crazy. There was that 9 year period from 85-93 when they made the playoffs once and went 1-1 (1989). That included Cowher’s first two years. That was 37 years ago. That’s one playoff appearance in 9 years. It felt like the late 60’s all over back then. Since 93, Cowher and Tomlin both haven’t made the playoffs 5 times.

See Stats are fun. You can categorize them to fit any narrative.

Probably should call you crazy. There was that 9 year period from 85-93 when they made the playoffs once and went 1-1 (1989). That included Cowher’s first two years. That was 37 years ago. That’s one playoff appearance in 9 years. It felt like the late 60’s all over back then. Since 93, Cowher and Tomlin both haven’t made the playoffs 5 times.

Especially if you make them up. 85 to 93 the Steelers made the playoffs once? Cowher's teams made the playoffs his first 6 seasons. That includes 92 and 93. And there was that season, I believe 89, when we got destroyed by the clowns and benglas the first 2 weeks, and ended up beating Houston in the playoffs.

Sorry Ike, I'm pretty sure Cowher set or tied a record for consecutive play off appearances by a rookie head coach. He made it 6 consecutive seasons.

Salute the nation

Especially if you make them up. 85 to 93 the Steelers made the playoffs once? Cowher's teams made the playoffs his first 6 seasons. That includes 92 and 93. And there was that season, I believe 89, when we got destroyed by the clowns and benglas the first 2 weeks, and ended up beating Houston in the playoffs.
Thanks Jim, yeah I erred on that (was thinking no playoff wins). The family was at Three Rivers on that January in 93, so you would think it was ingrained.
Sorry Ike, I'm pretty sure Cowher set or tied a record for consecutive play off appearances by a rookie head coach. He made it 6 consecutive seasons.

Salute the nation
Yeah Drink, props to Jim. Its Just comical, how statisticians try form a narrative amongst decades regarding a flat ideology, when the changes throughout those decades were constant. The only stability amongst the changes was the coaches. Three of them. How many other franchises can say the same regarding wins and championships except the cheats from Foxboro?

Thanks Jim, yeah I erred on that (was thinking no playoff wins). The family was at Three Rivers on that January in 93, so you would think it was ingrained.

Yeah Drink, props to Jim. Its Just comical, how statisticians try form a narrative amongst decades regarding a flat ideology, when the changes throughout those decades were constant. The only stability amongst the changes was the coaches. Three of them. How many other franchises can say the same regarding wins and championships except the cheats from Foxboro?

Yeppers Ike, I read your post and made my coment then scrolled to next post and seen Jim's post and said double take, Yiiikkeees !!.

I read and as I'm reading I make my quotes / coments only to find a little further down the page someone has already posted..

I work early and can't read till way end of day so I'm kind of in the tail end of things.

I appreciate all your insights along the way, thank you Ike.!!!

Salute the nation