• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Own Streak For Most Consecutive Seasons Without a Losing Record, And It Isn’t Even Close

I guess it is how people view that .500. Some fans might be ok with it and some might be disguised with it. I tend to hover somewhere in the middle. But that drops when I think about having a HOF QB year after year. But if I think about regular season wins vs like losses it goes back to that somewhere in the middle way of thinking.
And that's also a fair enough answer. I didn't supply the info with any agenda in mind other than that folks would have it and make their own decisions. Personally, I like Tomlin. Not enough that it makes me blind to the shortcomings that he's displayed. And, as someone noted earlier, maybe it's time for the Steelers to have a fresh voice and for Tomlin to be a fresh voice somewhere else. I'm not expecting great things this year (if they happen, I'll be pleasantly surprised). I was surprised at how well the first 11 games went last year and then surprised again by how it fell apart (like watching a slow motion train wreck).
All that to say, I'm about middle of the road in my thinking too. We'll see

Does any person on earth believe that Mike Tomlin could take a team with Neil O'Donnell at QB to the Super Bowl, or a team with Kordell Stewart at QB to not one but two AFC Championship games?

Bill Cowher had Roethlisberger at QB for three seasons, not 14. In those three seasons, his teams went 34-14 in the regular season and 5-1 in the playoffs, with two AFC Championship appearances, 1 SB appearance and 1 Super Bowl win. Suggesting that Mike Tomlin is remotely close to that is absurd.

It all comes down to whether you want regular season wins or championships. Regular season wins are nothing more than positioning yourself to make the playoffs. If and when you get there, you need to be able to win. Tomlin has not shown the ability to win in the playoffs, since being given control. He had success EARLY, when he did not have full control. He will get credit, as he should, since he is at the top. Therefore he must also take the blame for the squandered years. Some people are great managers, by surrounding themselves with good people, while not being able to do the jobs themselves and accepting that. Some people have too big of an ego to do that. Tomlin, I believe, falls into the later category.

I truly hate the Cowher/Tomlin comparisons. This though seems to fit the discussion....I remember how it felt when it seemed every year Cowher would get us to the AFFC game and we would have a big let down. He got us over the hump eventually. We trended upward. Tomlin with the last 10 years seems to be trending downward. Even with the very talented rosters he had. In the end it is what your HC does with the talent. Tomlin has failed miserably with arguably some of the most talented teams in the NFL. Change isn't always a bad thing. Even Cowher walked away.
Why comparison of Cowher and Tomlin is difficult is the building. Cower operated on a shoestring budget and Lost top quality players all the time. Tomlin has gotten everything he needs

I give that record an * because the Browns and Bengals are in our division which is pretty much 3 guaranteed wins a year.

So we are the Bengals now ? We can send to count play off appearances here.

I give that record an * because the Browns and Bengals are in our division which is pretty much 3 guaranteed wins a year.

Does that include play offs as well ?

Salute the nation

Why comparison of Cowher and Tomlin is difficult is the building. Cower operated on a shoestring budget and Lost top quality players all the time. Tomlin has gotten everything he needs
That’s so very true about the shoe string budget Cowher was working with. I remember when we list Leon Searcy then Neil O’Donnell, Yancey Thigpen to name only a few. Billy kept winning though exception of a couple down seasons. Couldn’t even keep Plex! Then Rooney started paying his guys toward end of Cowher era.

That’s so very true about the shoe string budget Cowher was working with. I remember when we list Leon Searcy then Neil O’Donnell, Yancey Thigpen to name only a few. Billy kept winning though exception of a couple down seasons. Couldn’t even keep Plex! Then Rooney started paying his guys toward end of Cowher era.
I think Plex was more a kind of guy they lose now. Not sure what he is maybe character questions. Get what you can out of him and let him get his big paycheck elsewhere. Chad Brown, Woodson, Thigpen, Greene, Searcy and O'Donnell ( though I'm iffy on him) should have been carreer Steelers. They were often getting first contracts only out of star players then.

Does any person on earth believe that Mike Tomlin could take a team with Neil O'Donnell at QB to the Super Bowl, or a team with Kordell Stewart at QB to not one but two AFC Championship games?

Bill Cowher had Roethlisberger at QB for three seasons, not 14. In those three seasons, his teams went 34-14 in the regular season and 5-1 in the playoffs, with two AFC Championship appearances, 1 SB appearance and 1 Super Bowl win. Suggesting that Mike Tomlin is remotely close to that is absurd.

As everybody's favorite Head Coach might say "the proof is in the pudding".

I think Plex was more a kind of guy they lose now. Not sure what he is maybe character questions. Get what you can out of him and let him get his big paycheck elsewhere. Chad Brown, Woodson, Thigpen, Greene, Searcy and O'Donnell ( though I'm iffy on him) should have been carreer Steelers. They were often getting first contracts only out of star players then.
Oh man Hot Rod should have never,ever been allowed to leave here. That ******* Tom Donahue made the statement “We’re not the Salvation Army”. *******! I’m also with you on Chad Brown.

If you go back 50 years, yinz should go all the way back to the start of the franchise so as to not be cherry picking stats
we were the hot mess express until right where yinz start pulling stats from
I can only live in the glory days of the 70's for so long and it damn sure would be nice to get back to something that even resembles what a force we were then

If you go back 50 years, yinz should go all the way back to the start of the franchise so as to not be cherry picking stats
I can only live in the glory days of the 70's for so long and it damn sure would be nice to get back to something that even resembles what a force we were then

The MERGER was 1970, modern era of football. We all know the before then but everyone compares from 1970 forward. I hear what you are saying but even STEELERS non-fans pick 1970 (the MERGER) to compare all teams to those stats as team stats. I can't remember for sure but I think it was the dolphins who held the most wins for some time and everybody was fine with that 1970 start so why change now.....?

AGAIN I hear what you are saying but am adding my 4-bits worth.

Salute the nation

Era 1
The MERGER was 1970, modern era of football. We all know the before then but everyone compares from 1970 forward. I hear what you are saying but even STEELERS non-fans pick 1970 (the MERGER) to compare all teams to those stats as team stats. I can't remember for sure but I think it was the dolphins who held the most wins for some time and everybody was fine with that 1970 start so why change now.....?

AGAIN I hear what you are saying but am adding my 4-bits worth.

Salute the nation
I look at it as about 4 different eras

Era 1: pre merger up to 1970- we sucked

Era 2: pre salary cap 70-94- we owned 70s 4 SB wins

Era 3: salary capped but haven’t pussified yet era 94- 2010ish...all about the parity

Era 4: the pussifcation era- Goodell trying eliminate contact and accelerate everything “offensive” including his bobbing and slobbin’ all over Kraft’s noggin...throw out everything from this era due to mass collusion

Era 5: the absolutely unwatchable era...we’re on the cusp of this era beginning sadly.

If you go all the way back then the Browns won championships too.

Ron I recognize those Stains Championships as being more legitimate than the Cheatriots in the Bellicheat years..while not SBs at least they earned the awards.

The merger and the cap both drastically changed the league.

Ron I recognize those Stains Championships as being more legitimate than the Cheatriots in the Bellicheat years..while not SBs at least they earned the awards.

The merger and the cap both drastically changed the league.

You could ad to that the CHEATRIOT scandals have added as well. It changed how many look at football as opposed to past integrity.

Salute the nation