• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Radio Network Host, City Of Pittsburgh Media Icon Stan Savran Dies At 76

SteelerNation.com News

Forefather
Admin
Reaction score
The city of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers fans and fans of every Pittsburgh sports team lost a beloved legend on Monday. Hall of Fame person, and Pittsburgh media icon Stan Savran passed away at the age of 76. Savran, originally born in Cleveland, Ohio would come to Pittsburgh in 1976 after bouncing around multiple cities after graduating from Miami University (Ohio).

READ MORE

I really am going to miss his signature voice and his Steelers Post Game radio show after gameday. He made it public knowlege on his show that he was battling cancer but I didn't think he was as sick as he was while he was doing his radio show with Charlie Batch. May he Rest In Peace!

Rip… Stan, Guy… love the show
One of the great programming screw-ups of all time was when KBL canceled Sportsbeat before the 2005 NFL season when the Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl.
R.I.P. Stan, love the show.

Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P.

Truly will be missed.

Salute the nation

Oh man this is truly sad! I really will miss Stan who was a great commentator and a nice person. I knew he was fighting cancer but didn’t realize it had progressed this far.
RIP Stosh! You will truly be missed!

Last edited:
RIP Stan.

Anyone else remember Stan hosting a Penn State highlight show that aired on Sunday mornings back in the late 70’s and early 80’s? I think it might have been called “The Penn State Story” I googled it but couldn’t find anything.

Huge loss for Pittsburgh sports and the city in general. Last of the old school, gentlemanly Professionals. RIP Stan.

Huge loss for Pittsburgh sports and the city in general. Last of the old school, gentlemanly Professionals. RIP Stan.
They don't make them like Stan anymore. He got it and the fans got him. A perfect sportscaster in the perfect city for him. Stan was all class and did business the right way.

Just learned today that Mr. Savran was originally from Cleveland.

Good things do come out of Cleveland.

That would make 3.

Savran
Noll
The Steelers Logo

I think I, and many here, would like the inside info on the Cleveland logo thingy.

Re-FRESH the O’l memory……… thingy

Salute the nation

I am trying to group my most painful losses of Steelers related people who have passed away… from my adult life… the ones that really impacted me emotionally.. like I highly respect coach Noll, but I was mostly a kid when he was coaching and he was a virtual recluse after that… so while his passing was sad, it didn’t hit me like Dan Rooney, who I mean I have a lump in my throat even now thinking about him… or even Franco, who while I missed his playing days, that guy was still so entwined with the team and city that it was emotional when he passed.. especially how he passed right before his big ceremony

In no particular order I have
Dan Rooney
Franco
Cope
Tunch
Justin Strelzczyk

And now Stan Savran is added to the list…

It’s probably going to start getting really long soon too… man i need a drink…

I am trying to group my most painful losses of Steelers related people who have passed away… from my adult life… the ones that really impacted me emotionally.. like I highly respect coach Noll, but I was mostly a kid when he was coaching and he was a virtual recluse after that… so while his passing was sad, it didn’t hit me like Dan Rooney, who I mean I have a lump in my throat even now thinking about him… or even Franco, who while I missed his playing days, that guy was still so entwined with the team and city that it was emotional when he passed.. especially how he passed right before his big ceremony

In no particular order I have
Dan Rooney
Franco
Cope
Tunch
Justin Strelzczyk

And now Stan Savran is added to the list…

It’s probably going to start getting really long soon too… man i need a drink…
Only natural you get older and the passings are newer and feel like they hit home harder. I did a tribute video once that a family liked from a passed Steel Curtain member. Was happy that it brought them comfort.

Good list I will add coach Drake.

Dan, Franco, and Cope probably hit me the hardest. I actually got to meet Myron so that always was a special moment for me. Don't even remember what we talked about it has been so long. He signed my terrible and just had a great personality is what I remember from that day.

I was not following football news much if at all during the summer and didn't hear that Stan had passed. Last week I feared he had passed after not hearing him on the post game and did a Google search. Really sorry to see that headline which cut like a knife.

Stan had a great way of cutting through the hype and hysteria and leveling everything down to reality. It was great therapy to listen to his take after an ugly loss and he'd also not let you get too high after a win they may not have totally deserved or the score didn't tell the entire story.

He'd also put the callers who obviously didn't know what they were talking about in their place if they got out of line.

I go back to the mid 90s when I first become a DirectTv subscriber and bought the sports pack which allowed me to beam in KBL and a show called SportsBeat. The Internet was in it's infancy at that time so the best I could do for Steeler news was a subscription to the PPG and Steelers Digest. If I was lucky the SD would arrive before the next game. So for a huge out of market fan of all things Pittsburgh sports, this was like finding gold buried in the back yard. My favorite segments were when Stan and Guy would do the occasional show from listener's back yards during the summer. It might have been every Friday. Good times...

RIP Stan...Love the show!!!

Last edited:
Found a great radio clip where Guy called into the Cook and Joe Show to remember Stan. For old fans of SportsBeat like @mightyguru, there's some great history there.

https://www.audacy.com/937thefan/sports/guy-junker-remembers-his-friend-stan-savran

Stan-Savran-7976ecd5-4b34-48cb-8079-1c9f4908aa1e.png

Last edited: