• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Release Peterson

I get the move last year, Peterson just wasn't going to get any better and at his price could not stay.
Andcto some extent a GM sometimes has to remove veteran roadblocks, because coaches notoriously overuse them.

Lets pretend that Kahn thinks CA3, Mims, and Fitzpatrick are all legitimate talents at wr that really just need a chance, or that Rush and Trice are true outside press CBs that are going to vastly outplay their acquisition value ... the absolute last thing you want is an expensive vet character guy with diminishing skills on the team... because that guy is going to get every spare snap everytime...

I think if both of these guys had taken a paycut, they both are on the team and both eat up a ton of snaps like last season... that really isnt what you want from guys aging out who arent high end anymore

Yeah, it's amazing.

It's also amazing that the Steelers signed guys like Peterson, Trubisky, and Robinson to multi-year deals just last season, yet are now piling up dead cap hits like it's snow in Buffalo in January.

I'd like to see them start giving some contracts out to guys who are actually going to play well enough to hang around for a while and earn those deals, so they don't have a shitload of dead wood to clear out next time around.
Didn't we acquire Robinson via trade? Shouldn't he have zero cap hit on us? The Tribisky extension last offseason was idiotic for sure.

Yeah, it's amazing.

It's also amazing that the Steelers signed guys like Peterson, Trubisky, and Robinson to multi-year deals just last season, yet are now piling up dead cap hits like it's snow in Buffalo in January.

I'd like to see them start giving some contracts out to guys who are actually going to play well enough to hang around for a while and earn those deals, so they don't have a shitload of dead wood to clear out next time around.

That’s the thing, Coach TomLin & Co. have seemed to forgotten how to instigate those type OC contracts. The talent seems to be aged out or not as good as described, both being over estimated in their contracts.

We use to get 2nd and 3rd contract player in abundance, but that was a different coaching regime ago.

Salute the nation

If one of their ILB besides Roberts will be healthy get him. I think Mark Robinson made strides. I'd grab a corner or wr.

That’s the thing, Coach TomLin & Co. have seemed to forgotten how to instigate those type OC contracts. The talent seems to be aged out or not as good as described, both being over estimated in their contracts.

We use to get 2nd and 3rd contract player in abundance, but that was a different coaching regime ago.

Salute the nation
In the late 00's the league instituted the current Rookie salary structure and it blew up the way the Steelers did contracts... Cowher reaped tge benefits of the steelers doing 3 year deals with non first round quality guys getting a cheap bridge deal for a second contract because they were rfas not ufas... those days were legislated put of tge league

Dead cap for the pat Pete and A Rob are minimum, contract was structured so the 1st year was cap friendly and there was an easy out on the 2nd year, I have zero problems with those two contracts and how where they handled.

Now Trubisky's, that's another conversation
Robinson's wasn't bad, and cutting him to save $10 million was a no-brainer, but Peterson cost the Steelers almost $3 million in dead cap. If you have zero problems with them throwing away that kind of money on a player like Peterson, then God bless you. But that shlt adds up.

Didn't we acquire Robinson via trade? Shouldn't he have zero cap hit on us? The Tribisky extension last offseason was idiotic for sure.
Yes, I misspoke about that...but the Steelers are still on the hook for nearly $2 million in dead cap. When a trade is made for a guy, the existing terms and cap implications come with it.

Robinson's wasn't bad, and cutting him to save $10 million was a no-brainer, but Peterson cost the Steelers almost $3 million in dead cap. If you have zero problems with them throwing away that kind of money on a player like Peterson, then God bless you. But that shlt adds up.
The team spent 4M in the 1st year, and gave 2M more in guaranteed money to take a flyer on a ex all pro vet. If it panned out it would have been worth it and then some. It didn't, the team spent 6M on a 2nd CB/backup FS when they didn't have any clear #1. 6M on a 2nd CB isn't a bad deal given what the market looks like.

Well....I have to admit. I like this signing when it happened. Not so much during the actual season. At least they didn’t **** around. Realized he wasn’t the guy ,and cut bait.

So if Robinson is next to be chopped (I also did like his signing) does this mean all the praise we heaped on “The Kahn” team last off-season for Free Agency /player acquisitions was unwarranted? No more A+ Grade?

Well....I have to admit. I like this signing when it happened. Not so much during the actual season. At least they didn’t **** around. Realized he wasn’t the guy ,and cut bait.

So if Robinson is next to be chopped (I also did like his signing) does this mean all the praise we heaped on “The Kahn” team last off-season for Free Agency /player acquisitions was unwarranted? No more A+ Grade?
Have to see what they do come Wednesday 😃

If we have to cut 5-10 players ya gotta do it so Cam can make every penny possible, old man Rooney sent a directive

You just can’t mess with a man that won the Steelers a SB trophy, I mean the Walter Payton MoY award. It is even more prestigious in this day and age when playoff wins are an impossibility

If they are allowed to display that tasty trophy in their case it comes with a 2-5 year extension for Cam! With a Brinx truck full of new bonus money!!!

They’re simply freeing up more cash to throw at Cam. Gotta appease the SB mvp, I mean MoY, oops did it again

But it’s not like they’re winning other awards so pay the man

The team spent 4M in the 1st year, and gave 2M more in guaranteed money to take a flyer on a ex all pro vet. If it panned out it would have been worth it and then some. It didn't, the team spent 6M on a 2nd CB/backup FS when they didn't have any clear #1. 6M on a 2nd CB isn't a bad deal given what the market looks like.
No, the team spent $1.3 million in salary for 2023 and paid a signing bonus of $5.85 million. So that's $7.15 mill, not 6. That was good enough for the 29th highest in the NFL among cornerbacks. Did Peterson play anything like a #1 corner? No, it sure didn't pan out.

If we have to cut 5-10 players ya gotta do it so Cam can make every penny possible, old man Rooney sent a directive

You just can’t mess with a man that won the Steelers a SB trophy, I mean the Walter Payton MoY award. It is even more prestigious in this day and age when playoff wins are an impossibility

If they are allowed to display that tasty trophy in their case it comes with a 2-5 year extension for Cam! With a Brinx truck full of new bonus money!!!

They’re simply freeing up more cash to throw at Cam. Gotta appease the SB mvp, I mean MoY, oops did it again

Somehow,……… some of this “laughing stock” could easily come true.

You know, I know and many other’s know this could be Cam’s last possible productive year. His 10.5 sack seasons are far gone and we either play this last year out with a respectful pay-cut extension that is done after this season, or cut him.

The NFL regards the MOY award as it’s highest honor (rightfully so), but that doesn’t obligate contractual pay/extension.

Salute the nation

No, the team spent $1.3 million in salary for 2023 and paid a signing bonus of $5.85 million. So that's $7.15 mill, not 6. That was good enough for the 29th highest in the NFL among cornerbacks. Did Peterson play anything like a #1 corner? No, it sure didn't pan out.
Wasn't it 6M but 7.15M? Not a big difference though, still a #1 corner in the market costs double at least

Somehow,……… some of this “laughing stock” could easily come true.

You know, I know and many other’s know this could be Cam’s last possible productive year. His 10.5 sack seasons are far gone and we either play this last year out with a respectful pay-cut extension that is done after this season, or cut him.

The NFL regards the MOY award as it’s highest honor (rightfully so), but that doesn’t obligate contractual pay/extension.

Salute the nation
I'm afraid in the former football team, now charitable organization, known as the Steelers it likely comes true.

Pay for past production and eat lots dead money down the road>

Help me Obi-won-Khanobi you're my only hope

We just got done paying Tuitt's dead money, got disperse those charity payments somewhere

This is the sad truth