• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Signed LB Myles Jack to Two-Year Contract

People aren't freaking out over this signing because scheme matters. The only position the Steelers can put him in is the Mike position in a 3-4, the very same one he's been hot garbage at. Watt has the Will locked down, and Highsmith is the Sam, and the Sam wouldn't be a good spot for him either because he hasn't been capable of covering anyone for two years now.

Anybody who thinks LBer coverage of TE's will be downgraded by adding Jack apparently does not watch Steelers games. First, Steelers ILBers have not been good covering TE's. Not good at all. Second, the bigger problem has been that Steelers ILBers have been absolutely terrible the past two years at STOPPING THE RUN, a much more crucial role for them in this defense.

Never heard of the guy, but what I've been reading here up to now he looks to be a great addition!
Hope to watch him Jack up some running backs.

I should curb my enthusiasm. I really need to hear what Coach has to say first.

The Steelers have had good luck with linebackers named Jack.

Which reminds me that they also had good luck with players having "Green" in their names...Joe, LC, Kevin, Eric...until Ladarius showed up.

I don't anticipate that happening with Jack though.

Anybody who thinks LBer coverage of TE's will be downgraded by adding Jack apparently does not watch Steelers games. First, Steelers ILBers have not been good covering TE's. Not good at all. Second, the bigger problem has been that Steelers ILBers have been absolutely terrible the past two years at STOPPING THE RUN, a much more crucial role for them in this defense.
I used to be frustrated watching Larry Foote trail his man in coverage, until the last few years when the ILB wasn't even in the frame. If this guy is anywhere close to a Foote/Farrior comparable, then great. Lets find out if Bush can be serviceable with an upgrade beside, or else next man up.

He's better than what we have but far from great.

I love this signing. Should be a significant upgrade over Shoebert (who isn't terrible but he isn't an impact linebacker). If Jack stays healthy then we have Farrior 2.0.
This move should help Bush too as it takes some responsbility off of him, so maybe he can just focus on his position and not calling defensive alignments.

Now, give Witherspoon a contract at CB, find a SS and I'm ready for the draft.

Colbert is going out in style.

I personally wouldn't have mind if they held onto Shoebert. Money and also letting him go early to catch onto another team probably doomed his time here. Bush was absolutely putrid last year. Maybe we draft an Inside LBer to throw into the mix. I trust Tombert to figure it all out.