• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers to wear throwbacks this week to honor 50th anniversary of Super Bowl IX

I was 7. All I remember really is watching it through a sometimes snowy screen. We didn't have cable, so you'd have to go out and turn the antenna. Weather would impact that. The worse game for that I remember was the Bills playoff game a few weeks earlier. You'd try to watch..."There went a Steeler helmet...there is a Bills helmet." Had I been older and understood more I would have been losing my mind.

I was 7. All I remember really is watching it through a sometimes snowy screen. We didn't have cable, so you'd have to go out and turn the antenna. Weather would impact that. The worse game for that I remember was the Bills playoff game a few weeks earlier. You'd try to watch..."There went a Steeler helmet...there is a Bills helmet." Had I been older and understood more I would have been losing my mind.
I remember those days well. I lived in the Johnstown area so getting Channel 4 on the antennae was hit or miss. The screens were so fuzzy and at times all you could see were shapes. When I was stationed in England my parents would tape the games and send them to us. I still have them and when I showed my son he couldn't believe we watched it. lol

I remember those days well. I lived in the Johnstown area so getting Channel 4 on the antennae was hit or miss. The screens were so fuzzy and at times all you could see were shapes. When I was stationed in England my parents would tape the games and send them to us. I still have them and when I showed my son he couldn't believe we watched it. lol
I can relate …
Steelers were always on NBC those days..
I grew up in East End of the Burgh.
Unfortunately channel 11 didn’t come in worth a crap most of the time... And believe it or not channel 6 out of Johnstown actually came through better than 11!
Although .. that depended on the wind and weather lol..

We used to go on the roof before we got a rotor for the antenna, and move it by hand until my Pops yelled out the window to stop!

That was very dangerous.. especially in winter during football season! 😛

I was 8 when we moved out of the country and into the city. We had cable but the underground cable would degrade quickly and the tv picture was horrible once that started happening.

I mostly remember the game because my aunt a was huge Tarkenton fan. Everybody else was rooting for the Steelers.

Last edited:
I can relate …
Unfortunately channel 11 didn’t come in worth a crap most of the time... And believe it or not channel 6 out of Johnstown actually came through better than 11!

We used to go on the roof before we got a rotor for the antenna, and move it by hand until my Pops yelled out the window to stop!

We had a long pole down the side of the house and you could turn the pole which would move the antenna. My sister got sent out when sports were on, but I had to go out whenever one of her dumb shows was on.

I can relate …

You're right, it was 11. Channel 4 had Joe Dinardo the weather man, correct? Joe said it would!

You're right, it was 11. Channel 4 had Joe Dinardo the weather man, correct? Joe said it would!
If I recall correctly, channels 11, 2, 4, 35 and 53 with some antenna movement. I recall Chilly Billy on weekend nights, Dad let me stay up to watch scary movies.

I remember a little more from each year as I got older. When they won in '75, I remember Swann's catch. But then went outside and tossed the ball over the wire and tried to mimic that catch. The game is going on, but as an 8 year old, you get lost in throwing that ball over that wire. Diving in the snow. I don't recall when I came back in, but the next thing I really remember is Glen Edwards interception in the endzone to end it.

The '76 season is the season in which I can really remember games. The snow game in Cincinnati that year was so much fun.

When they lost to Cincinnati in late '77, I got to hitting the floor and somehow dislodged the Christmas tree from the stand. I still remember those damn'70s tree drop ornaments touching the floor. Kinda leaning there. I got a whoppin' for that one.

So many good memories of those Steeler teams in those years.

Last one. Opening week of '83, they are playing Denver. I'm in high school by this time, my brother was around 10. He's outside dicking around, doing whatever 10 year-olds do. I'm into the game, but next thing you know I notice he's sitting beside me, shaking. I asked him what his problem was, and he says, "The shed's on fire!" He got to messing with matches, got too close to the straw bale, and set it on fire. I ran out there, a neighbor has a hose over the fence, I ran in and pulled out the mower, I don't recall where the hell my Dad was. My Dad would watch games sometimes, but sometimes not. The whoppin' my brother took was epic.

You're not 50!!!

#ducksfromtomatos
You're right, and I wish I was. I think I was 8 when that game was played. I don't really recall watching a Super Bowl before that game, but I probably did. I think my first real recollection of watching any football game was the Immaculate Reception game.

I was ninth grade.
I guess I'm old but I'm still here.

Besides channels 2, 4, 11 , and 53, there was PBS on 13.
There was one out of Steubenville that we could get with a little snow. I was in McCandless/ Franklin Park area so that helped.

I was ninth grade.

There was one out of Steubenville that we could get with a little snow. I was in McCandless/ Franklin Park area so that helped.

I was on a farm about 9 miles outside of Kittanning toward Rural Valley. We had one of those giant 20 foot tall antennas to catch the games in Pittsburgh.

If I recall correctly, channels 11, 2, 4, 35 and 53 with some antenna movement. I recall Chilly Billy on weekend nights, Dad let me stay up to watch scary movies.

That's cool. I never heard of that show.

I was ninth grade.

Yea, you're right, the PBS channel was on 13. We blew that channel off once out of Sesame Street days. :LOL: