• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Wide Receiver Chase Claypool is Poised for a Big Season in 2022

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The 2021 NFL season was an integral one for the Pittsburgh Steelers for many reasons. We watched 18-year veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger end his historic career. We watched the new ‘invigorated’ offense struggle to move to ball down the field. We saw the conclusion of longtime defensive coach Keith Butler’s incredible NFL career. We even saw some potential long-term acquisitions come and go. But hidden in all of these, we watched how some players proved themselves worthy of an extension or larger contract. These came in the forms of JuJu Smith-Schuster on a one-year deal after testing the free agency waters, James Washington and Terrell Edmunds who were each at the final year of their contracts, a make-shift offensive line, a linebacker corps that was still in-flux, and a secondary that was auditioning for a job in 2022. So, with where we sit today, who is in the biggest need of a career season this go-around? Who finds themselves in their respective ‘prove it’ year in 2022? Well, there are a couple to keep an eye on, both on offense and defense. Next up:

Steelers wide receiver, Chase Claypool

Steelers WR Chase Claypool

Steelers wide receiver Chase Claypool is introduced at Heinz Field in 2021. | Twitter: @JSKO_PHOTO

2022 Numbers: Base salary of $1,211,511, cap hit of $1,804,534, dead cap value of $1,186,046

Background:
After trading their 2020 first-round selection to the Miami Dolphins for Minkah Fitzpatrick, Claypool was the first draft pick for the Steelers at the 49th overall spot. I know what you’re probably thinking; Claypool hasn’t necessarily had a ‘bad’ career so far. Sure, he’s heading into his third year in the NFL and has played a big part in an NFL offense, but fans saw some regression in Claypool’s development in 2021. But first, let’s look at his rookie season in 2020. Claypool found playing time in every regular season game and in doing so, posted a stat line of 62 catches for 873 yards, 10 total touchdowns, but fumbled the ball 3 times. If you’re like me, you’d think Claypool’s 2021 season was worse from a statistical standpoint; this wasn’t necessarily the case. In 2021, Claypool tallied 860 yards on 59 receptions, never fumbled the ball, but only scored twice. In addition to his stat line, Claypool was criticized for his lack-of maturity and, shall we say, clock-awareness in crucial moments late in close games. So why does Claypool need to prove himself in 2022?

Claypool has such a high ceiling for a second-round pick. He’s a physical freak, an incredible specimen and obviously has the size to succeed in the NFL; so his say, ‘uncontollables’, aren’t a concern. But with that said, 2022 is going to be a season Claypool has never seen before. First, his techniques and catch abilities. When I think of Claypool making a catch, any catch, in 2021, I think of him landing on his back yet with the ball in hand. We saw Claypool make routine catches look almost acrobatic and caused him to miss possible yards after catch (YAC) on what could have been big time plays. Next is his maturity on the field. I know the word “maturity” is thrown around a lot in the NFL, but it means more in Pittsburgh than a lot of other organizations. With Claypool being one of the oldest (even at 24 years old) receivers, he’ll need to keep a steady head on the field, especially in tight contests. Claypool will need to prove to be mentally tough as much as he is physically tough.

Steelers Chase Claypool

Chase Claypool hauls in a pass against the Tennessee Titans / JSKO_PHOTO

Forecast: In an offense with a new quarterback, Claypool will need to do all he can to help move the ball downfield. In addition, with the absence of Smith-Schuster, the slot receiver position is open and Claypool may find himself playing more inside than he has in his first two seasons. I see this as a boom or bust. Claypool has the clear size advantage in this area, but will need to work on his footwork in order to succeed. But looking at 2022, I simply compare his stat lines I highlighted above. On paper, Claypool’s production was fairly consistent; it was his touchdown count that differed. Yet, we don’t talk about his zero fumbles in 2021 versus three in 2020, or him being 44 yards shy of a 1,000-yard season in 2021. Not to mention, Claypool wasn’t targeted much in the red zone in 2021 as much as he was in 2020. So as I look ahead to 2022, I think Claypool takes a big leap forward. Depending who the Steelers have in the slot, I think Claypool remains on the outside, but will see more double-coverage schemes to account for his size. In addition, recently-acquired quarterback Mitch Trubisky has had a lot of success with Claypool’s skillset in an offense. But seeing he’s posted over 800-yard receiving seasons since he’s entered the NFL, I think he’ll eclipse the 1,000-yard mark in 2022 and will grow as a leader on offense.

What do you think Claypool will do this year? Do you think he’ll prove himself this season? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..