• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tackle Position Could Make or Break Steelers Offense

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
All off-season, we’ve heard how the kryptonite to this year’s Pittsburgh Steelers team would be its offensive line. There are no starters remaining from the 2018 team. Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro are both gone, and this is a completely new offensive line.

Despite the turnover, the inside of the line doesn’t seem to be what people are talking about. ESPN analyst Louis Riddick, who was just on our own Steeler Nation Podcast, said in the interview his concern was the tackle spot. He believes the Steelers need to start ”capturing the line of scrimmage and impose their will” on opposing teams in the run game, and he is worried about them doing that mainly due to the pedigree of tackles of starting left and right tackles, Chukwuma Okorafor and Zach Banner.

In relation to them, Riddick stated that everyone is talking about how skill players such as Chase Claypool, Najee Harris, and Diontae Johnson are going to do and help the team, but how Banner and Okorafor do will truly determine how everything else goes — and how far this team can go. He himself said if he were in Pittsburgh’s position on draft night, he likely would have not taken Harris (the team’s first round pick), and tried to invest earlier on in the offensive line.

Riddick has faith that the staff has hope that the players will all be better overall this year. With new offensive line coaches and an urgent emphasis on the run game, he thinks there’s a chance that will help get not just Banner and Okorafor on the same page and playing better, but the line as a whole. He believes run blocking is easier and will help them gain confidence and get better with run blocking.

In regards to the tackle spot, team general manager Kevin Colbert also spoke on the tackle spot this past week. He said that the fact that Okorafor gets to be a starting left tackle will greatly benefit him. Last season him and Banner competed for right tackle, which Banner won. A Week 1 torn ACL from Banner thrust Okorafor into the starting role for the final 15 games and lone playoff game. He performed admirably, but like the rest of the line was definitely not up to snuff for a team with championship aspirations. Colbert said that Okorafor was scouted as a left tackle, and believes he can perform better in that role. He backed this up by saying if the competition had been for left tackle instead of right, he believes the results would have been different, and that Okorafor would have been the starter.

This vote of confidence is definitely encouraging. This and the fact that both get to play a position that coaching and management believes suits the other better, is definitely a positive going into the season for the young line. Banner of course hasn’t had too much opportunity to flash what he can do at right tackle.

At the end of the day, it’s up to these two to block the outside noise and focus on being the best versions of themselves they can be. They both have seemed up to the task, and seem to have upbeat attitudes, and even a potential chip on their shoulder approaching the opportunity ahead of them:

Keep that same energy – don’t switch up how you’ve been acting because of new developments. Do what you were doing before you found out .
🗣
pic.twitter.com/LtNaKevowr

— Chukwuma Okorafor (@Chuks__76) June 28, 2021

Keep going…

— Zach Banner (@ZBNFL) July 14, 2021

Banner’s rehab was well documented and the work he put in to be ready for camp is definitely noteworthy. He looks ready to use that dedication and put it towards punishing opposing defensive linemen this season. All of this combined seems to have both of the young tackles ready to thrive off the pressure, and do their best to dominate for Pittsburgh in 2021. Like Reddick said, this team will likely go as far as these two, and the rest of the offensive line can get them.

Are yinz confident in the Steelers starting tackles for 2021? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

All off-season, we’ve heard how the kryptonite to this year’s Pittsburgh Steelers team would be its offensive line. There are no starters remaining from the 2018 team. Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro are both gone, and this is a completely new offensive line.

Despite the turnover, the inside of the line doesn’t seem to be what people are talking about. ESPN analyst Louis Riddick, who was just on our own Steeler Nation Podcast, said in the interview his concern was the tackle spot. He believes the Steelers need to start ”capturing the line of scrimmage and impose their will” on opposing teams in the run game, and he is worried about them doing that mainly due to the pedigree of tackles of starting left and right tackles, Chukwuma Okorafor and Zach Banner.

In relation to them, Riddick stated that everyone is talking about how skill players such as Chase Claypool, Najee Harris, and Diontae Johnson are going to do and help the team, but how Banner and Okorafor do will truly determine how everything else goes — and how far this team can go. He himself said if he were in Pittsburgh’s position on draft night, he likely would have not taken Harris (the team’s first round pick), and tried to invest earlier on in the offensive line.

Riddick has faith that the staff has hope that the players will all be better overall this year. With new offensive line coaches and an urgent emphasis on the run game, he thinks there’s a chance that will help get not just Banner and Okorafor on the same page and playing better, but the line as a whole. He believes run blocking is easier and will help them gain confidence and get better with run blocking.

In regards to the tackle spot, team general manager Kevin Colbert also spoke on the tackle spot this past week. He said that the fact that Okorafor gets to be a starting left tackle will greatly benefit him. Last season him and Banner competed for right tackle, which Banner won. A Week 1 torn ACL from Banner thrust Okorafor into the starting role for the final 15 games and lone playoff game. He performed admirably, but like the rest of the line was definitely not up to snuff for a team with championship aspirations. Colbert said that Okorafor was scouted as a left tackle, and believes he can perform better in that role. He backed this up by saying if the competition had been for left tackle instead of right, he believes the results would have been different, and that Okorafor would have been the starter.

This vote of confidence is definitely encouraging. This and the fact that both get to play a position that coaching and management believes suits the other better, is definitely a positive going into the season for the young line. Banner of course hasn’t had too much opportunity to flash what he can do at right tackle.

At the end of the day, it’s up to these two to block the outside noise and focus on being the best versions of themselves they can be. They both have seemed up to the task, and seem to have upbeat attitudes, and even a potential chip on their shoulder approaching the opportunity ahead of them:

Banner’s rehab was well documented and the work he put in to be ready for camp is definitely noteworthy. He looks ready to use that dedication and put it towards punishing opposing defensive linemen this season. All of this combined seems to have both of the young tackles ready to thrive off the pressure, and do their best to dominate for Pittsburgh in 2021. Like Reddick said, this team will likely go as far as these two, and the rest of the offensive line can get them.

Are yinz confident in the Steelers starting tackles for 2021? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
Banner is a concern health wise no matter how we flip it. Hoping a T is brought in last minute off the final cuts. Would like some more experience at the position.

Should not rely on Banner. The guy has been very mediocre when healthy and couldn’t even stick with a horrible Browns team a couple years ago. Backup ok but not as a starter. Slash is correct. They better try and bring someone in here.

"everyone is talking about how skill players such as Chase Claypool, Najee Harris, and Diontae Johnson are going to do and help the team"
5ffbe55e82452c1574d6b335

"He backed this up by saying if the competition had been for left tackle instead of right, he believes the results would have been different, and that Okorafor would have been the starter."

Stymied as to why then the coaches did not have a competition for LT with Okorafor considering they all they had on blindside was whipped-butter Villanueva there?

Definitely where coaching is going to come in. If I was going to guess the line will be faster, more athletic and aggressive. However, there will be some serious problems in pass pro.

Should not rely on Banner. The guy has been very mediocre when healthy and couldn’t even stick with a horrible Browns team a couple years ago. Backup ok but not as a starter. Slash is correct. They better try and bring someone in here.
Well how's the rookie looking? The DB depth and the OL are gong to make this a long season.

Ok who left the door open.😁

Oko looks like he means business if they let them hit in the run game, take out a few knees so to speak, I think the tackles will be fine but depth could be the problem the offense will only go as far as line takes us. this is a total "heart transplant" for sure

I will venture to say this current OL, this season's OL (offensive line) will be ranked higher than the 2020 OL. We will have more than 5-play Fitchner calling the plays. We have a legitamit 3 down back and on OC who appears to be willing to use multiple threat backs simaltainiously and that wil help the OL a lot.

I know we have to let the season play out and see what we've got but I'm looking 1/2 full and the chicken littles can dodge the sky.

Salute the nation

I don't know his sources, but Geoff Schwartz believes Moore will start at LT.

Based on the reports I've read out of camp, this is a scary thought right now.

I don't know his sources, but Geoff Schwartz believes Moore will start at LT.

Based on the reports I've read out of camp, this is a scary thought right now.

**** Yea !!!

Now Mr. Moore,........... "make it so"

Salute the nation

Moore looked good - like a mauler on the inside cut runs for Najee.

When Oh Canada! started the out-in-space ****, Moore ******-up the play trying to get the lead out of his *** to get to the defender on the wide receiver screen pass.

Same same w/ Green. On the first Najee run - the inside zone read that Green made on the LBer was perfect! It was like Green was shot out of a ******* gun, turned his back and sealed that LBer off! Then when the call was a handoff off-tackle and the box was stacked, light-in-*** Green went mano a mano and got pushed back around at the point of attack.

Najee did great in the middle of the OL. Then he looked like he just could not turn the corner on that pitch play.

I was like damn. Right off the bat there is Oh Canada! putting a got-damn spotlight on each of our crucial player's strengths and weaknesses. I would just politely invite him to NEVER, EVER ******* call those plays ever again. you mf'er. <yells in an old-man voice> "get a real goddamn gameplan"

Moore looked good - like a mauler on the inside cut runs for Najee.

I liked him too. He had some whiffs, but also showed some flashes. And who's #62, Brandon Walton? I didn't pay attention too closely, but looks good in tight spaces and showed some nastiness. I think we're going to like this new OL coach.

I loved when he said something to the effect of "we're going to run through your ***".

i loved all the calls and execution which played to Green and Moore's strengths. But i ******* hated the calls which shined a bright light on our player's weaknesses.

All's i can say is:

Capture-77.png

It literally could break big Ben into retirement