• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Teacher asks why she is paid so little, posts salary on Facebook

To me, bad teaching and burnout is entire the result of teacher's unions and bad parents. And neither of those things seem to ever be blamed or addressed.

IMHO---this is a huge concern....and a much bigger issue for America today than the union...

My oldest daughter and wife work in public school systems...and if you heard some of absolutely sickening and sad stories about the physical/emotional condition of children and how they are sent to school daily, and then the total non-commitment, lack of involvement, and absolute disregard for their children's well being and education...it would literally break your hearts, and make you very, very concerned for the future of our nation.

Those hourly breakdowns are weak. Teachers have to spend time after school grading papers and tests, preparing lessons, etc. that wasn’t factored in,

Teachers (1) are given approved materials for their subjects, INCLUDING homework and testing materials (unlike the rest of the working world), (2) need to spend time working on lesson plans, tests and homework assignments the first couple years and after that have a tremendous data base for future years, (3) are in fact given "off" periods DURING THE WORK DAY to work on homework, tests, etc., while the rest of the working world IS NOT.

Any teacher with 2-3 years' experience has a tremendous data base for assignments, homework, lesson plans as of day 1. The "free periods" are enough to take care of the rest.

Teachers (1) are given approved materials for their subjects, INCLUDING homework and testing materials (unlike the rest of the working world), (2) need to spend time working on lesson plans, tests and homework assignments the first couple years and after that have a tremendous data base for future years, (3) are in fact given "off" periods DURING THE WORK DAY to work on homework, tests, etc., while the rest of the working world IS NOT.

Any teacher with 2-3 years' experience has a tremendous data base for assignments, homework, lesson plans as of day 1. The "free periods" are enough to take care of the rest.

Sorry but this is not true. my son in law is an 8th grade social studies teacher in Mobile AL, He gets to work at 7 am and leaves at 5pm and that is when he isn't coaching basketball for about an extra 800 bucks a year. I went and visited them last weekend, he worked most of the time, as far as benifits his insurance was so much our daughter stayed on her own health insurance.

I personally know people that work at walmart stocking shelves that make more money.

Sorry but this isn't true. I teach 7th grade science and have a M.A. degree. The state changes the curriculum every few years. This year they took all the biology section (which is my field) out of 7th grade and put it into 6th and 8th grade. So I'll have to change all my materials out this summer.

Also I make up my own homework, tests and lesson plans. We get nothing from the school or the district. Also we have to keep up our credentials up so that means we take courses during the summer. We also have mandatory meetings with administration during off days. The union here is weak. You can be dismissed if the principal wants you gone. It has nothing to do with tenure or test grades.

Next people don't realize that I pay as much for insurance as the private sector. I also pay almost $400 a month just for my retirement, which I'll never see all of it. Don't believe me look up PERS retirement system. I'm baffled at how many people think they know so much about a field they're not in. I get to school (after I drive a bus from 6:40 - 7:15) and leave after 4.

I have 5 degrees and work with a lady who teaches 8th grade English with a Phd. I'm sure there are bad teachers. But the real issue is the kids. I could tell you stories that would curl you toes. I've had parents tell me that their child is in 7th grade now and that it is "Party time". She shouldn't be worried about home work. I've smelled marijuana on students (12 years old).

I am not of the opinion the "product" is **** because of the pay scale. .
Neither am I. Just observing that, even in the public sector, pay scale does reflect the value provided. Regarding bad parents, they **** a lot of things up, but they are not the problem either. That's a cop out.

There are two professions you couldn't pay me enough to do. Be a teacher or cop. The way parents and kids are now is outrageous. One time this group of girls probably 8-10 years old were picking on another girl outside our place. My gf walked out on the porch and told them to knock it off and this one girl called her every name under the sun threatened to beat her up and what not this is coming from a 10yr old. Then 2 days ago my gf picked my daughter up at the bus stop and one of the other parents backed up into her. It wasnt hard or anything, but the girl never ever got out of her car.... people have 0 respect and no accountability anymore.

You need to find another profession. Shouldn't be tough with 5 degrees.

I love what I do. The students need good teachers even if their parents aren't doing their jobs. It isn't all the student's fault. At least I can give them an opportunity to succeed. This is why even in bad public schools you'll find people that are highly qualified to do other jobs still teaching. Like I said, there are some bad teachers but most teachers are highly qualified in their field.

Just one more thing. The U.S. spends more per capita on students than almost any place in the world. The Dept. of Education should be abolished. Education is top heavy. Our state superintendent makes $300,000 a year. In our county we have numerous employees that I don't even know what they do. Every time I go to the Education Dept. they are sitting around drinking coffee.

I love what I do. The students need good teachers even if their parents aren't doing their jobs. It isn't all the student's fault. At least I can give them an opportunity to succeed. This is why even in bad public schools you'll find people that are highly qualified to do other jobs still teaching. Like I said, there are some bad teachers but most teachers are highly qualified in their field.

Just one more thing. The U.S. spends more per capita on students than almost any place in the world. The Dept. of Education should be abolished. Education is top heavy. Our state superintendent makes $300,000 a year. In our county we have numerous employees that I don't even know what they do. Every time I go to the Education Dept. they are sitting around drinking coffee.
I misinterpreted your comment. I've been fed up with the public school system for a while, and it does seem like the system blames everyone but themselves for the **** job they do. I trace a lot of it back to common core. I've had many meetings and that is the root of a lot of the problems.

I misinterpreted your comment. I've been fed up with the public school system for a while, and it does seem like the system blames everyone but themselves for the **** job they do. I trace a lot of it back to common core. I've had many meetings and that is the root of a lot of the problems.

Common Core was a disaster. It is being replaced at the state level in many states. I don't like the public school system because of all the red tape and wasted money. It should be decentralized and given back to the states. There is a reason why 40 years ago the U.S. had better schools.... there was no DOE with a $68 BILLION budget.

Common Core was a disaster. It is being replaced at the state level in many states. I don't like the public school system because of all the red tape and wasted money. It should be decentralized and given back to the states. There is a reason why 40 years ago the U.S. had better schools.... there was no DOE with a $68 BILLION budget.

Hey, Teacher:

Leave that kid alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Regarding bad parents, they **** a lot of things up, but they are not the problem either. That's a cop out.

I don't know about your area but in my area it's not a cop out. We have swaths of parents here who are on drugs, in prison, abusive or completely absent. We have large numbers of 5th graders running the streets days and night and hanging out with adult drug dealers....not to mention the number of 6th, 7th and 8th graders. We have had 5th and 6th graders dealing drugs in school and bringing knives to school. Some of them have not been home in days and nobody has even checked on them to see where they are. And I work in a small, rural Ohio school. I cannot even fathom how bad it's gotten in large urban areas. Believe me. it's bad. Many kids only come to school because it's the one place they can be warm and be fed, it's not to learn. They are too busy surviving to care about learning.

Even scarier, the groups of well adjusted students who come from loving families are sitting in class next to hardened street kids who are already on their way into the juvenile detention system and most likely prison later in life.

Last edited: