• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

teacher “sick out,” closes schools

Greece gave everyone benefits like that of US teachers. How'd that work out?
No, people in Greece didn't want to pay taxes. And that's what happens. American public school teachers are some of the most under paid in the world among the most developed nations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teachers shouldn't be a part of a Union. They should be a part of a professional association like doctors, lawyers and nurses. The Association should only take job action if the standing of the profession is under attack or education itself is threatened. Now those are obviously broad terms that take into account things like wages and working conditions. Teacher Associations should be more about the overall education partnership with government and the taxpayer. They should have no part in the political world. No association fees should fund political parties.

No, people in Greece didn't want to pay taxes. And that's what happens. American public school teachers are some of the most under paid in the world among the most developed nations.

As if people in countries other than Greece want to pay taxes. So a retirement age of 55 is feasible, just tax people accordingly? I associate early retirement with disciplined savings in a 401k. You associate it with taxing people?

Forget what American teachers are paid, it's the benefits that are ridiculous. How many of the other developed counties have 8 1/2 months of school? Bring up year-round school with an American teacher and you better be ready to duck.

Its easy to get rid of unions. Treat your employees great. Costco has no Unions because they treat non-management staff very well and work hard to make them feel as though they have a stake in the company. Walmart on the other hand, bottom feeds and makes people feel lucky to have one of the shitiest jobs on the market.

I've heard this before, but not sure I buy it as stated. If it were true, seems like Costco would be putting Walmart and Sams out of business. They'd have plenty of workers applying for jobs and they could put in anywhere, have an instant job force worth of that pay and benefits.

My biggest issue with the Unions, etc. that want Walmart out of business and demand that Walmart pay better wages is this: Start your own company that provides the same goods and pay what you say Walmart should pay. Make your prices the same as Walmart or change the to be priced according to what you need to make the amount of money you think Walmart should make. Either you or Walmart will be out of business within a year or two.

Start your own company that provides the same goods and pay what you say Walmart should pay. Make your prices the same as Walmart or change the to be priced according to what you need to make the amount of money you think Walmart should make. Either you or Walmart will be out of business within a year or two.

This is the answer and it comes in the form of private or charter schools. Take the money spent on education, give it to the parents and let them choose where their child gets the better education.

School choice is expanding rapidly and the unions are fighting it tooth and nail. The concept is basic....

In 2011, Arizona broke new ground by becoming the first state to offer education savings accounts (ESAs) to eligible families.

Education savings accounts enable families to have a proportion (90 percent in the case of Arizona) of the money that would have been spent on their child in their public school deposited instead into a parent-controlled savings account.

Families can then use those funds to pay for private school tuition, online learning, special education services and therapies, individual courses at their local public school or charter school, and private tutoring, among other things.

Families can even roll over unused funds from year to year, and can roll funds into a college savings account. Five states now have education savings accounts in place, including Nevada, which in 2015 became the first state to enact a near-universal option.

Creating school choice options in the states has been a welcome change for families. A growing body of empirical evidence suggests school choice can significantly improve academic attainment outcomes for participants, and can have positive impacts on academic achievement. School choice also confers positive benefits to the public school system, which responds to the competitive pressure placed on it by surrounding private schooling options.
http://click.heritage.org/ymRMYKpr0s0eTHq0P600130

As if people in countries other than Greece want to pay taxes. So a retirement age of 55 is feasible, just tax people accordingly? I associate early retirement with disciplined savings in a 401k. You associate it with taxing people?
In Greece, Italy, and Spain, taxes are so high that tax evasion has become the national sport. If they lowered the tax rates but collected from a broader tax base, the government would have both a stronger economy and more tax revenue. See the Laffer Curve.
Greece's other problem is that the country simply does not generate a lot of wealth due to anti-business laws and tax policies of the government.

In Greece, Italy, and Spain, taxes are so high that tax evasion has become the national sport. If they lowered the tax rates but collected from a broader tax base, the government would have both a stronger economy and more tax revenue. See the Laffer Curve.
Greece's other problem is that the country simply does not generate a lot of wealth due to anti-business laws and tax policies of the government.
Exactly. Wife is Greek. Her family goes there in the summer. Go to the doctor, pay him in cash. Need any kind of service pay it in cash. Even their property taxes are a barter system. Its a joke. Also have to remember that Greece isn't exactly flush with natural resources. Can only grow so many olives and grapes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. Wife is Greek. Her family goes there in the summer. Go to the doctor, pay him in cash. Need any kind of service pay it in cash. Even their property taxes are a barter system. Its a joke. Also have to remember that Greece isn't exactly flush with natural resources. Can only grow so many olives and grapes.
When I was in Rome we all bought bus passes for a week that worked on the buses and subway both. However on the buses no one checks them when you board. It is a 135 Euro fine if the transit police spot check and you don't have one, but I never saw that happen. I suppose if you lived there and rode the bus every day it would be worth it to not buy a pass and just pay the fine once in a while and I gotta think that's what most people do.

In my family if something is chaotic and completely disorganized we call it Greek Market Place. I don't like going places I can't speak the language anyways, but I don't know if we will ever go because I hate disorganization like that. One guy pays X amount for something and 15 minutes later someone pays less or more. I'd be like F' that.