• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Team Leadership Issues - Need Solutions

maowv

Contributor
Reaction score
No reason to rehash the mess. We all see it. We all know it. Behavior on this team has been pathetic. Discipline has been lost. Accountability is nonexistent.

I've said many times, I think Mike Tomlin is probably a good guy and is a decent football coach. Like any coach, he is good at some things and terrible at some things. Clock management, accountability and discipline are not his strong points. Rather than complain about it, let's look at what he can do to fix it.

I have one very strong suggestion that I wish I had access to share with Mike Tomlin. This is something that can be fixed if the people involved should choose to fix it. And I think they have the resources on this team to make it happen. We have all offseason to fix it, here is my suggestion (not that anyone cares).

We have a resource on this team that perhaps no other team in the NFL has and it is tailor made to help Tomlin with his weakest area of management. Alejandro Villanueva.

Tomlin, Ben and Villanueva should spend some quality time together very soon. Maybe even include Art II in this meeting so that a directive comes from ownership. Why those folks? Hear me out.

Tomlin as coach has to be in charge. Ben as franchise QB is the default leader of the team - just has to be that way. Villanueva? Why Villanueva?

Alejandro Villanueva spent 4 years getting the best leadership education available at the United States Military Academy at West Point. Then he went on to serve as an Army Officer leading young men. He was a leader in the 75th Infantry Regiment - the Rangers - a group where leaders shine or they do not last. He served as a leader of men in combat. Not just any men but Rangers. Many of us on here are veterans. Some even veterans with service in such units and under officers who are academy grads. You know the quality of leadership and the personal character traits common among such leaders.

Tomlin and Ben can, and should, learn from the education, training and experience of Alejandro Villanueva. Learn leadership principles. Commit to implementing those principles. I strongly suggest the team make Villanueva one of the team captains for next season. Empower him to position of authority of his teammates and invite him to take a leadership role. Ben has to step up also. He has to become a vocal and accountable team leader and one that is active in holding teammates accountable. His career is coming to an end. What does he want for his final years? These 3 can make a difference.

Can they reach everyone? No. When you identify a guy who doesn't want to be a part of the team then you move them in any way possible. Cancers in the locker room cannot be permitted to continue. I realize pro athletes are different from young soldiers but people are still people. I use my personal military experience as a building block for my life, for my business all the time. What I learned from true leaders is not the Army that people think of on television with constant yelling and screaming. I was fortunate to serve under leaders who got more out of me than I thought I was capable of by motivating or inspiring me to want it for myself. I don't see that taking place with this current Steelers roster.

This is bigger than AB. This is bigger than L. Bell. This is a failure by a lot of people simply because of a void of leadership. Keep AB/trade AB? Not going to matter until you identify, develop and employ some leadership in that locker room.

Some leaders are born. Some leaders are made. We have one on this team and it's time this team benefits from what he has already proven to be.

Crazy idea? Maybe. It would require placing egos aside for the greater good. Possible? I certainly hope so.

When you have to tell someone you are the leader then you aren't the leader. I've been in leadership positions since I was in my mid-twenties. Today I'm almost 49 (about the same age as Tomlin) and gathering Tomlin, Ben and Villanueva around the campfire to see if Tomlin can work out a way to save his job by having them tell the team to let Tomlin lead defeats the purpose. Leadership doesn't work that way. You either are or you ain't the leader.

We're not talking hypotheticals so we have to deal with reality. Tomlin isn't getting fired this off-season so they either develop some leadership or they continue as-is. Since doing nothing is unacceptable, and since Tomlin and Ben are still going to be in the default leadership positions next year my suggestion is that they learn, develop and commit to some proven leadership principles.

Doing nothing but complaining about the lack of leadership is not the answer.

It appears that Tomlin's problem is that he is a leader...

Art Rooney II won't make necessary changes

New year. Same old Pittsburgh Steelers.

Some of us hadn't even finished lunch on Day 1 of 2019 before the first Steelers off-field controversy of the new year.

This year's Steelers collapse is just the latest waste of talent under Tomlin's stewardship. Furthermore, Brown's behavior is yet another in a long line of high-profile headlines illuminating the weekly circus act inside the Steelers locker room. Tomlin's inability to control the chaos off the field has reached epidemic proportions.

Plus, the Steelers have failed to maximize a talent-laden roster featuring the most prized possession in football: a Hall of Fame quarterback.

What Tomlin has done — orchestrating a 12-year career without a losing season — suggests he has done nothing to deserve being fired. Yet, over the last 10 years, Tomlin has missed the playoffs almost as often as he has made them with just six postseason appearances. In only three of those seasons have his teams enjoyed playoff victories.

Given the talent, that record suggests replacing him is overdue.

Rooney's sensibilities won't allow him to fire Tomlin. He holds the Steelers' reputation of maintaining a coach too dear. But if the payoff of keeping a generational talent such as Brown happy is needed to pull the trigger, maybe Brown's demand is a blessing in disguise.

https://triblive.com/sports/-topstor...mething-big-he

I read that this morning, very interesting. I find it hard to believe Art II wont demand some changes be made on that coaching staff. No, Tomlin will remain but he has to be wanting changes to be made to defensive coaches and ST coach.

I normally don’t comment too much on Tomlin because I know he won’t be fired and I’ve be taught and actually do believe “ be a part of the solution not a part of the problem.” As crazy as it sounds I do believe in this board and I do believe it does signal to the powers that be the true feeling of the fans at large. They all say they don’t read these boards but they do. We all know Tomlin is in deep we have flubbed way too many draft picks, and on a team that refuses to use free agentcy to make up for those mistakes puts a lot of pressure on the coaches. Now throw on the drama of players like bell and brown and Ben it’s a lot to shoulder. I’m going pull for Coach Tomlin because another thing I believe is adversity can and does define us and maybe just Coach Tomlin has reached that point where he is challenged to the point he must reach inside and find a way to fight back against odds and the naysayers, pull himself up and win. What’s what has always interested me about sports: it isn’t played on paper it’s played on the field a field dreams for many, a field of mightmares for others. Well see if Tomlin can do it go steeeeelllerrrrsss!!!!!

We're not talking hypotheticals so we have to deal with reality. Tomlin isn't getting fired this off-season so they either develop some leadership or they continue as-is. Since doing nothing is unacceptable, and since Tomlin and Ben are still going to be in the default leadership positions next year my suggestion is that they learn, develop and commit to some proven leadership principles.

I agree this is a leadership problem but the only way to solve leadership issues is to find the right leader. Trying to take a guy in his 12th year as a HC and trying to rally players to his defense isn't going to fool anyway. Leadership just doesn't work that way. Tomlin is who he is. Nothing is going to change that.

You want results or do you just want to move some chairs around on the deck? The fact is that Tomlin has lost the team. He hasn't figured out how to discipline the team or certain players. He's allowed a few players to run roughshod over the entire team and coaches. Are they going to fire him? No. But trying to figure out how to make him into something he is not won't work either.

one way to start is by drafting guys that don't need be lead or coddled as much, like Watt. Go back to drafting guys that love the game and love to win, instead of just looking at talent.

if the payoff of keeping a generational talent such as Brown happy is needed to pull the trigger, maybe Brown's demand is a blessing in disguise.

I don't want Tomlin back but firing him to cater to a player has a hissy fit and stops showing up for work doesn't seem like a great message to send.

I still believe my suggestion below greatly assists the entire organization, and allows us to move forward with the least about of disruption,and at the same time solve the leadership void.
After all, Villeneuva said himself that Munchak is one of the best leaders he has ever served under..

Offer Tomlin the position of Director of Football Operations and promote Munchak to Head Coach.

one way to start is by drafting guys that don't need be lead or coddled as much, like Watt. Go back to drafting guys that love the game and love to win, instead of just looking at talent.

I hear ya...but very difficult dimesion to measure, identify, and find enough of these guys that fill your current needs on the field.

AB did not start out like AB. I saw him close up from the beginning.

I remember at Latrobe he stayed a long time in his second year. hanging out front shooting the ****. Humble, polite. focused.

He changed. And along the way they played ******* patty cake with him when he would act up.

This coach's way of doing things breeds drama.

Reactions: wig
AB did not start out like AB. I saw him close up from the beginning.

I remember at Latrobe he stayed a long time in his second year. hanging out front shooting the ****. Humble, polite. focused.

He changed. And along the way they played ******* patty cake with him when he would act up.

This coach's way of doing things breeds drama.

It's what happens when you don't win dancing with the stars...

I disagree to some extent. The first round picks have pretty much been character guys with some flaming out talent wise after the first every team will consider talent over character. There has to be a balance of the two.

IMHO, locker room "leadership" is probably way overrated in this era of athletes. Everyone wants to do his own thing. I would think if it came down to making money and being set for life the vast majority of athletes, especially in the NFL, would take it.

Tomlin set this snowball in motion. It's about the size of a 747 and halfway down the mountain, if you think Tomlin is now going to run down get in front of it and steer it in another direction..........splat.

Tomlin set this snowball in motion. It's about the size of a 747 and halfway down the mountain, if you think Tomlin is now going to run down get in front of it and steer it in another direction..........splat.

Jump in front of it dweebs see if you can stop it.

This is what Bellichick does only he looks for smarts above everything else dependent on position of course, if he has smart guys he can out scheme any of the other 31 . Tomlin is too enamored with athletic ability because he sucks at x's and o's and brings in too many knuckle heads that are great athletes. Ask Dan Synder circa 2000 how that philosophy works out.

Leadership comes from the HC. Anybody that's every played pee wee football to HS football to college knows this. Nobody questioned who the boss was when Noll was talking. Hell I've listened to them talk about how they didn't even understand what he was trying to say... but he's the leader. It's good to have leaders on the field. But on the field leaders like Bradshaw or even Ben are there for putting an emphasis on working hard and doing your job. The HC is responsible for what happens in the culture of the locker room. Good leaders aren't ****** with much. There are always some ******* that wants to buck the system. That's when the HC steps in deals with it. If he deals with it correctly then other realize that isn't a good idea.

Looking at the Steelers the HC is out to lunch. He's allowed temper tantrums, throwing buckets on the sidelines, slapping a coaches hands away, lying to Harrison about playing time, and basically not taking care of the culture. Now the owner needs to step in and deal with this mess. Rooney should fire Tomlin and find a leader of men. If he doesn't have the balls nor the will power to control his own team then he needs to step down and let someone else run the team. Find someone with a passion for Steeler football that will find a good coach and instill the Steeler culture into the locker room.

Art Rooney II won't make necessary changes

New year. Same old Pittsburgh Steelers.

Some of us hadn't even finished lunch on Day 1 of 2019 before the first Steelers off-field controversy of the new year.

This year's Steelers collapse is just the latest waste of talent under Tomlin's stewardship. Furthermore, Brown's behavior is yet another in a long line of high-profile headlines illuminating the weekly circus act inside the Steelers locker room. Tomlin's inability to control the chaos off the field has reached epidemic proportions.

Plus, the Steelers have failed to maximize a talent-laden roster featuring the most prized possession in football: a Hall of Fame quarterback.

What Tomlin has done — orchestrating a 12-year career without a losing season — suggests he has done nothing to deserve being fired. Yet, over the last 10 years, Tomlin has missed the playoffs almost as often as he has made them with just six postseason appearances. In only three of those seasons have his teams enjoyed playoff victories.

Given the talent, that record suggests replacing him is overdue.

Rooney's sensibilities won't allow him to fire Tomlin. He holds the Steelers' reputation of maintaining a coach too dear. But if the payoff of keeping a generational talent such as Brown happy is needed to pull the trigger, maybe Brown's demand is a blessing in disguise.

https://triblive.com/sports/-topstor...mething-big-he

Your link doesn't work bro.

https://triblive.com/sports/-topsto...rs-art-rooney-ii-needs-to-do-something-big-he

Got to agree with Benz, we'll be having this same discussion one year from today.

Stillers go to the west coast 3 times next year, it won't turn out well.

Got to agree with Benz, we'll be having this same discussion one year from today.

Stillers go to the west coast 3 times next year, it won't turn out well.

Not with the same coaches in place.