• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Team Leadership Issues - Need Solutions

Just understand Tomlin is a mediocre coach and accept that we are comming up on an era of irrelevance like we had in the mid 80s.

Reactions: xjx
They should hire John Cooper. The Lightning only lost one game in December and they played a lot more than 4.

For me all this is on the Rooney's. They've been checked out for a while as all this goes on. I'm not buying the Tomlin won't discipline thing. AB's agent called Tomlin Sunday morning and said AB would play. Tomlin told him, no, he won't. For this particular stretch before the game that's all he can really do. Now, once they meet, he has another opportunity to deal with him from there. Thing is, the owners and GM are involved in all that as well. If I'm the Rooney's ALL of them would have been summoned to my office today and given the ultimatum. It's my team, and I pay your ***** to represent me. Knock the **** off, or else.

For AB they can suspend him at the start of next season for conduct detrimental to the team. He has years left on his contract, he has no leverage. At some point, sometimes folks need to be shown who pays them again. I'd keep him out an extended time, half a season or so. If that doesn't fix him, he's a dumb *** and I shop him before the deadline. Tomlin would get his too, the collapse at the end of the season was unacceptable. GM wise, it would be made clear where our problems lie, and where I expect the cap money we saved to be spent. If he can't figure out how to do it, find someone who can.

The Steelers are teetering on becoming a joke of a franchise in a very short time. If the Rooney's don't give a damn enough to try and stop it, nothing any of us thinks matters a damn. They're all an embarrassment right now.

I get the idea that AB is out for himself and not the team, and is lacking leadership in his life.

But here’s what I don’t understand. What more does he need to “feel appreciated”? Employers show appreciation to employees via their paychecks. That’s the point of them. I feel like Don Draper “that’s what the money is for!” And AB is compensated HANDSOMELY. I just don’t get it

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Are we sure this **** show will still attract top HC talent who really want to win championships?

Are we sure this **** show will still attract top HC talent who really want to win championships?

Stable organization that holds onto coaches longer than it should. Seems pretty attractive to me, with solid job security.

Maybe the young guys need to take over. JuJu, Watt, Connor seem like the leader types the team needs. The Vets have let the team down.

Maybe the young guys need to take over. JuJu, Watt, Connor seem like the leader types the team needs. The Vets have let the team down.

It isn't their job to police Brown. They can't make him show up at practice when the HC allows him to come and go as he pleases.

Reactions: JMM
It isn't their job to police Brown. They can't make him show up at practice when the HC allows him to come and go as he pleases.

Exactly, it's almost impossible for another player to lead a selfish me first guy any ways. Ben or Cam, or anyone else can't punish AB for anything, they can't fine him, or suspend him, that has to be the Head Coach. You can't lead guys that won't follow or by into the team.

Reactions: JMM
I wonder if AB has woke up yet from his hangover and wondered what the hell he was thinking? Doubt it...

This is what Bellichick does only he looks for smarts above everything else dependent on position of course, if he has smart guys he can out scheme any of the other 31 . Tomlin is too enamored with athletic ability because he sucks at x's and o's and brings in too many knuckle heads that are great athletes. Ask Dan Synder circa 2000 how that philosophy works out.

No, Bellichick uses Ernie Adams to intercept the play signals from the other team, interpret them on the fly and then whisper them down to either Tom Brady or the defensive captain of the week. Shockingly the Cheats almost always have an ideal play either dialed up or audibled to at the line.

Weird! If Hoody has a player that's a problem, he dumps that player because he doesn't NEED talent like other teams do. He's got Ernie Adams.

If I were Art Rooney V. 2.0 I would call Tomlin in and tell him if the Steelers don't win the SB next year, he's fired. He can plan on making room in his office or the trophy case at the end of next season, it's entirely up to him.

Then I'd call AB and say "Son, get that stick out of your *** and let's get another trophy. You want to feel unappreciated? Try sitting and waiting for 5 or 6 or even 10 years to get into the H.O.F. because you were never able to win a SB with all the talent you had around you."

If I were Art Rooney V. 2.0 I would call Tomlin in and tell him if the Steelers don't win the SB next year, he's fired. He can plan on making room in his office or the trophy case at the end of next season, it's entirely up to him.

Then I'd call AB and say "Son, get that stick out of your *** and let's get another trophy. You want to feel unappreciated? Try sitting and waiting for 5 or 6 or even 10 years to get into the H.O.F. because you were never able to win a SB with all the talent you had around you."

That’ll fix the problem! Seriously, I think both of the solutions are a bit pie in the sky. There are fr two many variables in play to just “demand a SB,” and There’s a lot going on with the AB situation that “a talk,” isn’t going to fix.

I do think Tomlin’s #1 priority has to be to clean up the mess that his players have created. I’m not naive enough to believe that he just sits idly by and does nothing (that’s another simplistic narrative), but it’s obvious that what he’s done isn’t working.

For me, the biggest issue is the amount of drama that is making it to the media. Every team has drama (even the Patriots). Whether it’s because the Steelers are under a microscope, or because there are too many leaks, this **** gets played out in the media too much. THAT is what’s causing all the distractions. Gotta lack that shot down.

The thing that I used to hear is that the locker room was a “band of brothers.” Obviously that’s not the case anymore, and EVERYONE (including Tomlin) must be committed to getting back there. Anyone who’s not onboard with that needs to be gone.

AB cares about stats and money, the quicker everyone realizes that, the better.
He'd take a 115 catch 1700 yards 15 TD season and no super bowl over a 90 catch 1000 yard 7 TD season and Super Bowl win every day

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

2 more years of this.

So what kind of leadership solves AB getting mad over not being named team MVP?

So what kind of leadership solves AB getting mad over not being named team MVP?

This is a star driven league. Anyone who thinks coaches are actually “in charge,” is sorely mistaken. When it comes down to brass tacks, ownership and fans will generally support the star over the head coach, until someone says “enough is enough.” I think we’re probably bordering on reaching that point with AB (similar to what happened with Harrison last year). Being HC is a far tougher job than most people think

I really believe that it is typically an older veteran who will be more effective in telling a malcontent to shut the f$&k up, than a coach. I wonder if that isn’t part of the tiff between Ben and AB. Did he try to call AB on his attitude, and AB took his mall and went home? Not out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:
This is a star driven league. Anyone who thinks coaches are actually “in charge,” is sorely mistaken. When it comes down to brass tacks, ownership and fans will generally support the star over the head coach, until someone says “enough is enough.” I think we’re probably bordering on reaching that point with AB (similar to what happened with Harrison last year). Being HC is a far tougher job than most people think

I really believe that it is typically an older veteran who will be more effective in telling a malcontent to shut the f$&k up, than a coach. I wonder if that isn’t part of the tiff between Ben and AB. Did he try to call AB on his attitude, and AB took his mall and went home? Not out of the realm of possibility.

Anyone that thinks players are in charge are sorely mistaken. The fact is that Belicheat is in charge of the pats****. There is NO question about that. The only places where the HC has no power are places that are hell holes like Cleveland and Bungleland. Tomlin has plenty of power. He decided not to use it. Now it's gotten out of hand.

Player aren't in charge of other players and there is nothing they can do with AB. Well I guess they could have voted him MVP and not hurt his feelings.

I'm telling you, there's absolutely NO downside to Rooney calling Tomlin in and saying "You don't get a SB trophy next year, you're gone."

Tomlin would be as focused as he possibly COULD be.

I would have had that meeting Sunday evening.