• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Terry Bradshaw Isn’t Confident Mason Rudolph Is The Answer For The Steelers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This is the first off-season in a long time, 18 years to be exact, that the Pittsburgh Steelers and Steeler Nation are uncertain of who their Week 1 quarterback will be next season.

In a recent appearance on The Rich Eisen Show that was published late last week, Hall of Fame Steelers QB Terry Bradshaw gave some thoughts on current Steelers QB Mason Rudolph. Needless to say, he doesn’t seem to have much faith in the 5th year player.

When asked about what the Steelers should do to replace Ben Roethlisberger, Bradshaw went on to tell Eisen:

“I don’t think they have the answer on the bench. Mason Rudolph out of Oklahoma State, they got him in the second round, he’s had his chances, I didn’t see much from him. Maybe he has to play a full season and they’ve got to build something around him.”

While Bradshaw didn’t completely trash the idea of having Rudolph be the starter for the Steelers, he definitely made it clear he didn’t believe was the answer.

He did go on to say that no matter who the quarterback is for the Steelers in 2022 that the team needs to put pieces around him to be successful. His quotation below is what he said in that regard:

“I don’t care who’s playing quarterback. Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, doesn’t matter to me. The guy Mahomes, doesn’t matter. If they don’t have the talent around them, you’re not going to see their talent. If you don’t protect him and give him a running back and give him wide receivers where they can function and their talents show, it’s not going to work.”

Bradshaw makes some solid points there as the Steelers do have major work to do this offseason. They need to review their offensive line and wide receivers this offseason to see who gives their new starter the best chance to succeed. They also need to potentially find a new offensive line coach if they don’t think Chris Morgan is ready for the job. Mike Munchak anybody?

Let us know below what you think of the Steelers quarterback situation as we head into the offseason and what you would like to see them do!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I personally think that MR will start, and surprise some people. I also don't think that we will say "Man, we hit the jackpot with this guy!!" Hope I'm wrong there.

And the organization had a first round grade on Rudy. I find that truly amazing but they had a first round grade on Terrell Edmunds too. I find that truly amazing.
I agree with Terry on this one about Rudy. Not an NFL starter and most likely a career backup.

I think Rudolph can be serviceable. And honestly, that's ALL I think the Steelers FO should be looking for this coming year. Put some ******* pressure on the offensive line to solidify and become an actual asset.

We've had more than enough of the coaches and FO just assuming a H.O.F. QB can/will cover up any deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball. What a ******* waste of Roethlisberger's career. Over the last 10 years or so of his career, the Steelers added exactly TWO blue-chip stud offensive linemen. They got lucky with a pretty decent pickup in Alejandro, but otherwise the only real investment in the line came in the form of Pouncey and DeCastro. And one could argue that DeCastro was good, but not great. And honestly, it took Pouncey years to finally get the injury bug under control.

Still those 2 guys and Villenueva were pretty much the only real bright spots on the offensive line for the better part of #7s career.

So please. Make the offensive and defensive line a priority. I'm begging you.

Again, in '19 when Mason started the season, his completion percentage was amazing. True, they were running that ******* short pass/long handoff offense, but he was really pretty effective with it until defenses realized "Hey. They are NOT going to throw the ball more than 4 yards!" Then the entire ******* thing fell apart and it never did get back on track even when Ben returned. For whatever reason (I have my suspicions) the coaches decided they were going to ******* STICK with the short YAC game.

Mason was really (imo) doing alright. Not amazing, but alright until he was brained by Garrett. After that I think he was really gunshy. Hopefully he is past that now and can make a few plays. If Canada sticks with this ******* garbage offense though, there's no ******* POINT in bringing in another QB to throw the ball 9 feet in the ******* air. It's just pointless to spend money or draft picks on that ****.

Bradshaw should be the last guy to judge a QB after only 11 starts. Terry would have been runout of town on a rail for his first two years in todays climate.
He is correct in stating whoever it is needs help with filling in the gaps.

I do tend to agree with his assessment and he did say maybe he needs a full year, maybe he harkened back to his first days. That said, who here knew during Ben's first game that this is our QB...It was like someone flipped a switch from night to day. Haven't seen that with Rudy but I also have no problem giving him that full year while they rebuild the lines, etc...It's going to be a tough stretch but at least we have a known good running back to help take some of the load off.

And the organization had a first round grade on Rudy. I find that truly amazing but they had a first round grade on Terrell Edmunds too. I find that truly amazing.
I agree with Terry on this one about Rudy. Not an NFL starter and most likely a career backup.
For as many times as they said this I've neve believed them. What team passes up a first-round talent at QB twice?

Mason has shown nothing to make me believe that this team can be a contender…even if we shore up around him.

That being said…Mason, I wish for nothing more than to eat those words and wish you the best.

I personally think that MR will start, and surprise some people. I also don't think that we will say "Man, we hit the jackpot with this guy!!" Hope I'm wrong there.
This is my take on it. I don't think the offense is gonna cliff next year. In fact I expect some things like the screen game to be better. Funny, typical Terry. Makes comments about the guy but doesn't even really know what round he was drafted in.

Again, in '19 when Mason started the season, his completion percentage was amazing. True, they were running that ******* short pass/long handoff offense, but he was really pretty effective with it until defenses realized "Hey. They are NOT going to throw the ball more than 4 yards!" Then the entire ******* thing fell apart and it never did get back on track even when Ben returned. For whatever reason (I have my suspicions) the coaches decided they were going to ******* STICK with the short YAC game.

Mason was really (imo) doing alright. Not amazing, but alright until he was brained by Garrett. After that I think he was really gunshy. Hopefully he is past that now and can make a few plays. If Canada sticks with this ******* garbage offense though, there's no ******* POINT in bringing in another QB to throw the ball 9 feet in the ******* air. It's just pointless to spend money or draft picks on that ****.
He was looking really good when he came on in relief of Duck and would have won that game and put us in the playoffs if they don’t jack his shoulder up as he made a nice pass over the middle. He also looked good in the second half against Cleveland and almost got us that victory to eliminate them. All while playing in the ****** offense Fichtner and Canada have called for the last couple years.

He is correct in stating whoever it is needs help with filling in the gaps.

I do tend to agree with his assessment and he did say maybe he needs a full year, maybe he harkened back to his first days. That said, who here knew during Ben's first game that this is our QB...It was like someone flipped a switch from night to day. Haven't seen that with Rudy but I also have no problem giving him that full year while they rebuild the lines, etc...It's going to be a tough stretch but at least we have a known good running back to help take some of the load off.
Not many start their careers like Ben. Manning looked like **** his first year. Josh Allen was not great his first year etc etc.

He was looking really good when he came on in relief of Duck and would have won that game and put us in the playoffs if they don’t jack his shoulder up as he made a nice pass over the middle. He also looked good in the second half against Cleveland and almost got us that victory to eliminate them. All while playing in the ****** offense Fichtner and Canada have called for the last couple years.
I agree. I will throw in that he was getting better when he got knocked the **** out by the former Seahawk safety in Baltimore. And then the upheaval of the helmet attack and subsequent racial allegations. I think Rudolph will be ok. I'm not expecting the world but they could win 10 games.

I want to say I see some Tannyhill in Pickett. Had some int troubles early, small hands. Both have good mobility. Although Pickett probably doesn't have Tannyhill's arm strength. But everything else seems to line up. Tannyhill coming out had various opinions all over the board. Very similar in comparison IMO.

Tannehill has plenty of warts. I see him as a successful game manager much the same as I could see Rudolph.

I'm cool with a down year with Rudolph for a complete reset. The Steelers currently have $31M of available cap space next year and can free up another $17M if they release Tuitt, Banner (c'mon guys, enough) and Schobert. That's $48M of cap next season and $139M of cap space in 23. This team has a rare opportunity for a complete overhaul instead of a draft rebuild. You have two seasons to filter out which QB you want to take the Steelers forward with a strong team behind him.

Tannehill has plenty of warts. I see him as a successful game manager much the same as I could see Rudolph.
Sure he does. But still those warts are miniscule in comparison. My opinion on Rudy I guess you can say is pretty low. I would love for him of course to prove me wrong.

Not many start their careers like Ben. Manning looked like **** his first year. Josh Allen was not great his first year etc etc.
you can go ahead and bookmark this if you want: mason rudolph will never amount to anything remotely close to Ben, or Josh Allen. To even say his name in the same breath as theirs is absurd. I've already seen enough to know at least THAT much.

you can go ahead and bookmark this if you want: mason rudolph will never amount to anything remotely close to Ben, or Josh Allen. To even say his name in the same breath as theirs is absurd. I've already seen enough to know at least THAT much.
Never said he would. I am only saying that people are not judging him fairly either based on the success he has had in really crappy schemes in his first 11 starts with an offense based on having Ben. No he is very unlikely to be either of those but he doesn't necessarily need to be if we build a line and fix the defense.