• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Anti "Sky is Falling" Thread

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
Same old bitching after a loss (tie), figured I'd try to start a thread to bring some of you back off the ledge.

Yes it was a **** game by many, rather than rehash the obvious, here's some things that stood out to me:

-Hunter is not a #3. His timing with Ben was off all game and it seemed like he was never where Ben thought he was going to be. He's a solid #4 but I'd like to see Washington take over the #3 job...he has more upside.

-Despite 6 turnovers, we still had the chance to win it if not for random fluky ****.
1) Boz never misses those.
2) The punt DEFINITELY hit Chubb on the head...no idea how the announcers could say "it appears to hit him but the call should stand"...ummm what?
3) Conner is going to be a stud but that fumble was game changing. He will learn from it though and the weather also played a part.

-One of the worst ref performances...an actually dramatic game was almost unwatchable because of it. Sooooo many penalties and so many shouldn't have been called. Missed the ball touching Chubb on the punt even after a review.

-Turtle ball is just asking for a loss. Conner was running well but when we were changing up the play calling. Going run run run is not a recipe for success when the defense knows it's coming...I don't care if it's Conner, Bell or Walter Payton running the ball. I think if we just ran the normal offense until the 2 min warning, we win the game.

-Despite the turtle ball issue, I thought play calling was much improved on both sides of the ball. The RPO's on offense worked well and hopefully they continue. I only recall 2 bubble screens and even A QB SNEAK! The D had great pressure most of the game except when they inexplicably went 3 man rush at the end of regulation which led to a TD. Just stop doing that...please.

-Watt really likes playing the Browns on opening day. Holy hell he was a beast. We can only hope he continues the rest of the season but so far so good on his switch to the other side. And saved the game with the block. He should get the game ball.

-Loved Conner running the ball and I don't think the Steelers missed Bell at all, everything that went wrong I can't see Bell making a difference except for Conner's fumble and Conner will learn from it...I'll give him a pass on the fumble being his first start and in **** weather. But he did it all just like Bell is saying only he can do. I would have liked to see Ridley or Samuels in there for a handful of plays to give Conner a breather and for a change of pace but if not for the fumble, Conner would have gotten my game ball and was every part the dual threat Bell had been in the past.

-BIG props to the D, the Browns are not pushovers. They have a completely new offense and spent big money bringing in Tyrod, Landy and Hyde plus have Gordon back and a big playmaking TE. Haden went down and directly led to a TD since Sutton got toasted. Although he did make up for it later on with a pick. Loved the press coverage, solid tackling and PRESSURE. Heyward and Tuitt healthy together is huge...at least one of them was getting pressure almost every play.

-Dupree had a strip sack but was unremarkable for the rest of the game. Watching him constantly run himself out of the play is so frustrating.

-Ben was ****. Looked like a guy who was playing his first preseason game, not regular season game. No way around it for a guy who had 5 TOs. Although I would say 2 of them weren't on him. One because Myles Garrett blew up the play for the strip sack and the other because the ball went right through James hands. Let's just hope Ben got it out of his system like he did against the Jags last season. Love or hate Ben, he has a game like this every season...it's just reality. Wouldn't surprise me if he threw for 4 TDs next week. And despite the ****, he still led the team to a very make-able game winning FG attempt.

-Love the swagger from Burns but damn dude, keep it controlled. A little discipline goes a long way. Penalty aside, didn't hear his name much at all, which is a good thing for a corner.

-Dirty Red is a beast on special teams. Loved watching him get jacked up on the sideline for his quick tackles on returners.

-Berry, come on man. Sub par performance from him. We got lucky when the Browns fair caught his "best" kick that was easily returnable.

-I think we underestimated how good Myles Garrett is coming into the game. Dude was a #1 pick for a reason and he showed why. He was a difference maker for them and gave Al fits. Without Garrett, we put up another touchdown or two and win easily.

In summary, the Browns are definitely improved. We still didn't lose even though everything that could have went wrong did. To not lose despite 6 turnovers and 150+ penalty yards on the road is unheard of actually. Hopefully the coaches and players use this as a learning experience because there were flashes of greatness (Conner, Watt, scoring TDs on 3 plays in a row) that were understandably overshadowed by the bad and sometimes fluky plays.

A win against KC next week is the only thing that will cure the blah feeling of this game but for now, I'm keeping the faith.

Ill agree there are positives

But this team needs a wr other than brown to scare d out of tripling him... Bryant was a **** up but his huge play potential scared the bejesus out of teams enough to always dedicate a safety deep on him... browns played most of the game 1 s deep on brown and no one else made them pay

But this team needs a wr other than brown to scare d out of tripling him... Bryant was a **** up but his huge play potential scared the bejesus out of teams enough to always dedicate a safety deep on him... browns played most of the game 1 s deep on brown and no one else made them pay
Washington will get better, Ben and Juju and Brown will get back on the same page.

So positives:

Switz army knife on returns.
Big Red on STs. -which is why he won't be cut for those who wish that upon him.
AB- Nice TD and the one pass was short, otherwise we might have been talking about a win.
Watt- Turn down for Watt!
Conner overall minus the fumble.
The secondary minus a hickup from Burns and a few Sutton toasts.
The run D. I thought overall was solid.

Lot of work to do, but such is the early season Steelers norm..............

Thats the thing. This team never knows anything. They always have to be told something. What coach worth a damn needs to be told not to run every damn down with a two TD lead with a damn near whole quarter left? This team has not been smart for years. I would bet anyone right now that this team will be nowhere near the Super Bowl. It does not take much to see that. Even at their best, they are not a Super Bowl team. They simply can not be consistent, focused, or whatever you want to call it long enough. No way we sweep the Ravens and Bengals. No way we beat Jax and New England. Count those losses. Add in a few more **** shows along the way. I see 8-8.

Agreed. Aside from Juju's long catch and run, it was mainly dumpoffs to Outlaw and Conner. Hunter is not a #3 in this league. I'd rather throw Washington out there since he has more upside.

Thats the thing. This team never knows anything. They always have to be told something. What coach worth a damn needs to be told not to run every damn down with a two TD lead with a damn near whole quarter left? This team has not been smart for years. I would bet anyone right now that this team will be nowhere near the Super Bowl. It does not take much to see that. Even at their best, they are not a Super Bowl team. They simply can not be consistent, focused, or whatever you want to call it long enough. No way we sweep the Ravens and Bengals. No way we beat Jax and New England. Count those losses. Add in a few more **** shows along the way. I see 8-8.

I think you mean 8-7-1 ;)

I see 12 -3-1

Which my original prediction was 12-4.

If there are any positives it was on the Defensive side of the ball....namely TJ Watt. Bud Dupree balances it out though by SUCKING more & more each and every season! BRING BACK UNCLE JARVIS!

Reactions: MTC

This is supposed to be an anti- sky is falling thread...I only want to read anti-sky is falling stuff!

Reactions: MTC
If there are any positives it was on the Defensive side of the ball....namely TJ Watt. Bud Dupree balances it out though by SUCKING more & more each and every season! BRING BACK UNCLE JARVIS!

iOle!

This is supposed to be an anti- sky is falling thread...I only want to read anti-sky is falling stuff!

So once upon a time,

In a galaxy far far away.
A little green guy by the name of Yoda teamed up with a group of people known as the saiyans.
The epicness of the jedi and saiyans made sure no skies were to fall ever again.

I just don't know why people are surprised. The Browns have talent, and they played that talent in the preseason. These guys played a lot, and the Steelers offense never played together. I just think the idea of not playing guys more in the preseason is a stupid one. You gotta play football.

By the same token, could you see this board if Ben or Brown got hurt for the year in the preseason? It is truly a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Regardless, this is what you are going to get when one team plays and the other doesn't in the preseason.

After a 4 hour drive back from watching the game with my son in Michigan gave me time to reflect.
First of all I really think the sky is falling group is really missing something today, despite 6 turnovers in really wet weather and a week of drama from the RB who shall no longer be named and two HORRIBLE calls by the refs we still almost won a game that we should have folded like a cheap suit in after all of that. Tomlin in my mind coached a hell of a game keeping these guys heads up after a lot of **** in this game and distraction this week. As much as I love him the one person who seemed least ready for this game was Ben and that I do blame on coaching in the preseason while not wanting him to get hurt either.

I would like to think this game shows how resilient adn never give up this group will be this year and showed major improvement in the secondary.

The game changed when Joe Haden went out. hopefully he is back next week. we actually had a competent defense there for awhile

After a 4 hour drive back from watching the game with my son in Michigan gave me time to reflect.
First of all I really think the sky is falling group is really missing something today, despite 6 turnovers in really wet weather and a week of drama from the RB who shall no longer be named and two HORRIBLE calls by the refs we still almost won a game that we should have folded like a cheap suit in after all of that. Tomlin in my mind coached a hell of a game keeping these guys heads up after a lot of **** in this game and distraction this week. As much as I love him the one person who seemed least ready for this game was Ben and that I do blame on coaching in the preseason while not wanting him to get hurt either.

I would like to think this game shows how resilient adn never give up this group will be this year and showed major improvement in the secondary.

This is pretty much how I’ve been feeling about it. Yes, I didn’t agree with playing turtle ball all second half, but the weather played a huge role in us not having any semblance of a passing game (as well as rust), and It didn’t take a genius to see that the passing game was out of sync from the very first drive. It was a **** show, but this, to me, pales in comparison to the debacle in Baltimore three years ago. Unfortunately, the clowns are going to win a football game at some point again. Not to mention that this was their “super bowl.” Hell, they even made a stupid commercial/video for this game. Yet, they really had no business being in this game, six turnovers and all. However, the defense, I felt, played pretty damn good, sans a handful of plays. Watt looks to be the spark plug for it all, the d line played pretty damn good, Dupree forced some hurried/errant throws and had a strip sack, Bostic made some nice plays in coverage and was all over the field, And the secondary as a whole, played pretty well. The defense was damn solid, and was put in many, many “no-win” situations this afternoon, and continued to give the offense the ball back to put the ****** away. How many times did the clowns get to the 40 yard line, only to go then go nowhere? Especially late in the game, and into OT? Not only that, they played right to the very last whistle, as seen by Watt blocking that kick. There was no quit in them today, and I loved seeing the attitude, with the exception of Burns’ outburst. Of course, if not for a phantom hold called on our ******* nosetackle, we are never in that spot to begin with. Ben had a ****** game, and it was largely to the garbage weather, and shaking off the rust. If the defense plays the way they did today, and Ben shakes the rest of the rust off, this team is going to be fine.

Definately need MORE participation in preparedness. Weather it's preseason or a coach that has a backbone or clue on how to handle people. Bell's assholism is a factor also as it is a DISTRACTION weather anybody says so or not. Cleveland isn't this almighty team everyone here is gushing about. They have improved but still a 6 or less win team. we come out and play down least ways our HOF QB did.BOTH teams played in the same weather conditions. I see us getting wAY better but I don't see the Browns proportionately improving.

Salute the nation

Ben had 3 turnovers driving in scoring range.
Boz missed a gimmie (for him)
We didn't lose the game, though we should have. Want to know why?

This D is legit. It's quicker and we are getting much better pressure than we used to. I think this is the first game in a long time that we didn't give up a 40yd play. That used to be the MO of this team. Tackling is better. Davis looks great roving as a FS. Hilton and Hayden were monsters. Edmunds was making plays on TEs, Tuitt and Heyward owned the LOS, and gave the LBs their best game in years! Bostic with a sack, Durpee with a strip/sack, Williams with pressure and 12 tackles. Wattage, had an epic game for the ages, and these pot pissers are missing, that our Watt is trying to be better than his brother. Today he was. 4 ******* sacks! Who's the last player that got that many sacks in a game for us? Wow man. 11 tackles, and the game tieing FG block. Watt is my next jersey for sure!!!

I thought Hilton and Sutton had good games... Sutton got burnt a little on the td by gordon but hell gordon is a monster. Secondary looked good, watt looked good, munch did a great job getting Connor ready as the running game was solid didn’t really miss a beat. Turning the ball over at the rate we did you will not win in the nfl. Period. Ben stunk

I thought Hilton and Sutton had good games... Sutton got burnt a little on the td by gordon but hell gordon is a monster. Secondary looked good, watt looked good, munch did a great job getting Connor ready as the running game was solid didn’t really miss a beat. Turning the ball over at the rate we did you will not win in the nfl. Period. Ben stunk

And that’s what it boils down to; the damn turnovers. Today was a sloppy game in every sense of the word. From the weather, to hue Jackson’s “we-can’t-even-win-when-we’re-given-one” look after the Watt block. That six turnover number will come down, and were not going to play in many monsoon’s this year.....hopefully. Hell, the last two games that I can think of that we’re as bad weather-wise as today was, were both against the dolphins; Ben’s first career start, which I think was a whopping 10-3 win, and again against the dolphins on Monday night in ‘07, when we blew their doors off and won by a whole 3-0 score. **** weather like this is going to create a total **** game. I know that nobody wants to pin this on the weather, but it absolutely has to be taken into consideration. Also, Jabrill ***** Peppers shooting his mouth off saying that the clowns have been better than us since last year. Funny coming from a tin man who has done jack **** from college through now.

My "anti- sky is not falling" thought....things will start to align this week when the Rats and Bungles tie, the Stains get destroyed, and the Steelers demolish KC.

The Defense was on point ...looked better than they had in a while and the passing defense was much improved...the big mistake that they...really Bank made was losing his cool and basically giving up so much yardage in pentlies that it pretty much allowed the Browns to walk into the end zone...can't give up yardage like that even if you want to punch the guy...

Sent from my SM-G928P using Steeler Nation mobile app