• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Anti "Sky is Falling" Thread

Same old bitching after a loss (tie), figured I'd try to start a thread to bring some of you back off the ledge.

Yes it was a **** game by many, rather than rehash the obvious, here's some things that stood out to me:

-Hunter is not a #3. His timing with Ben was off all game and it seemed like he was never where Ben thought he was going to be. He's a solid #4 but I'd like to see Washington take over the #3 job...he has more upside.

-Despite 6 turnovers, we still had the chance to win it if not for random fluky ****.
1) Boz never misses those.
2) The punt DEFINITELY hit Chubb on the head...no idea how the announcers could say "it appears to hit him but the call should stand"...ummm what?
3) Conner is going to be a stud but that fumble was game changing. He will learn from it though and the weather also played a part.

-One of the worst ref performances...an actually dramatic game was almost unwatchable because of it. Sooooo many penalties and so many shouldn't have been called. Missed the ball touching Chubb on the punt even after a review.

-Turtle ball is just asking for a loss. Conner was running well but when we were changing up the play calling. Going run run run is not a recipe for success when the defense knows it's coming...I don't care if it's Conner, Bell or Walter Payton running the ball. I think if we just ran the normal offense until the 2 min warning, we win the game.

-Despite the turtle ball issue, I thought play calling was much improved on both sides of the ball. The RPO's on offense worked well and hopefully they continue. I only recall 2 bubble screens and even A QB SNEAK! The D had great pressure most of the game except when they inexplicably went 3 man rush at the end of regulation which led to a TD. Just stop doing that...please.

-Watt really likes playing the Browns on opening day. Holy hell he was a beast. We can only hope he continues the rest of the season but so far so good on his switch to the other side. And saved the game with the block. He should get the game ball.

-Loved Conner running the ball and I don't think the Steelers missed Bell at all, everything that went wrong I can't see Bell making a difference except for Conner's fumble and Conner will learn from it...I'll give him a pass on the fumble being his first start and in **** weather. But he did it all just like Bell is saying only he can do. I would have liked to see Ridley or Samuels in there for a handful of plays to give Conner a breather and for a change of pace but if not for the fumble, Conner would have gotten my game ball and was every part the dual threat Bell had been in the past.

-BIG props to the D, the Browns are not pushovers. They have a completely new offense and spent big money bringing in Tyrod, Landy and Hyde plus have Gordon back and a big playmaking TE. Haden went down and directly led to a TD since Sutton got toasted. Although he did make up for it later on with a pick. Loved the press coverage, solid tackling and PRESSURE. Heyward and Tuitt healthy together is huge...at least one of them was getting pressure almost every play.

-Dupree had a strip sack but was unremarkable for the rest of the game. Watching him constantly run himself out of the play is so frustrating.

-Ben was ****. Looked like a guy who was playing his first preseason game, not regular season game. No way around it for a guy who had 5 TOs. Although I would say 2 of them weren't on him. One because Myles Garrett blew up the play for the strip sack and the other because the ball went right through James hands. Let's just hope Ben got it out of his system like he did against the Jags last season. Love or hate Ben, he has a game like this every season...it's just reality. Wouldn't surprise me if he threw for 4 TDs next week. And despite the ****, he still led the team to a very make-able game winning FG attempt.

-Love the swagger from Burns but damn dude, keep it controlled. A little discipline goes a long way. Penalty aside, didn't hear his name much at all, which is a good thing for a corner.

-Dirty Red is a beast on special teams. Loved watching him get jacked up on the sideline for his quick tackles on returners.

-Berry, come on man. Sub par performance from him. We got lucky when the Browns fair caught his "best" kick that was easily returnable.

-I think we underestimated how good Myles Garrett is coming into the game. Dude was a #1 pick for a reason and he showed why. He was a difference maker for them and gave Al fits. Without Garrett, we put up another touchdown or two and win easily.

In summary, the Browns are definitely improved. We still didn't lose even though everything that could have went wrong did. To not lose despite 6 turnovers and 150+ penalty yards on the road is unheard of actually. Hopefully the coaches and players use this as a learning experience because there were flashes of greatness (Conner, Watt, scoring TDs on 3 plays in a row) that were understandably overshadowed by the bad and sometimes fluky plays.

A win against KC next week is the only thing that will cure the blah feeling of this game but for now, I'm keeping the faith.

Good post. A bit more to add.

1 ) How come the coaches didn't give Bit Al help in the form of a TE or FB? He was having a tough day. Where was the coaching adjustment?

2 ) Berry sucks. Tomlin kept the wrong punter. Wile had 4 inside the 20 yesterday and just two punts returns in 6 kicks.

3 ) I disagree with you on Burns, a stupid penalty is not swagger, its stupid. Keep your helmet on.

4 ) Ben was off, he was also off in pre-season. Tomlin should have played him a bit more.

5 ) Let Washington go deep, he's the expert on jump balls and with Ben finding his way, his ball tracking skills and ability to go up and get it is needed.

6 ) I liked what I saw out of Switzer as a return man. He's good in that role.

The game changed when Joe Haden went out. hopefully he is back next week. we actually had a competent defense there for awhile

According to the Trib, he is scheduled to have an MRI this morning, fingers crossed.

Ben had 3 turnovers driving in scoring range.
Boz missed a gimmie (for him)
We didn't lose the game, though we should have. Want to know why?

This D is legit. It's quicker and we are getting much better pressure than we used to. I think this is the first game in a long time that we didn't give up a 40yd play. That used to be the MO of this team. Tackling is better. Davis looks great roving as a FS. Hilton and Hayden were monsters. Edmunds was making plays on TEs, Tuitt and Heyward owned the LOS, and gave the LBs their best game in years! Bostic with a sack, Durpee with a strip/sack, Williams with pressure and 12 tackles. Wattage, had an epic game for the ages, and these pot pissers are missing, that our Watt is trying to be better than his brother. Today he was. 4 ******* sacks! Who's the last player that got that many sacks in a game for us? Wow man. 11 tackles, and the game tieing FG block. Watt is my next jersey for sure!!!

s-l300.png

Legitimate observations. I'll hold my tongue until after the KC game. My take from yesterday's " mistake on the lake" debacle is that this Steelers team collectively is an unfocused bunch of overpaid drama queens.
Sorry, but the Browns despite their uptick in better play still aren't in the same conversation with the talent the Steelers rostered.
Coach better get his and this teams heads and arses wired together quick; the Chiefs won't be celebrating and satisfied with a goddamned FA King "tie" fer crissakes!

Thats the thing. This team never knows anything. They always have to be told something. What coach worth a damn needs to be told not to run every damn down with a two TD lead with a damn near whole quarter left? This team has not been smart for years. I would bet anyone right now that this team will be nowhere near the Super Bowl. It does not take much to see that. Even at their best, they are not a Super Bowl team. They simply can not be consistent, focused, or whatever you want to call it long enough. No way we sweep the Ravens and Bengals. No way we beat Jax and New England. Count those losses. Add in a few more **** shows along the way. I see 8-8.

Ah!....but the Chin always sat on a lead as a vintage Martyball disciple.

2TD lead. Run the ball, chew the clock, move the chains, high percentage passes. Can’t do that when QB is throwing INTs.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

2TD lead. Run the ball, chew the clock, move the chains, high percentage passes. Can’t do that when QB is throwing INTs.

Never mind that the vaunted Onine.... you know the one who were so pissed off and had a point to prove couldnt open any holes when it mattered. Great Olines run the ball even when the other team knows its coming. Impose their will.

Last edited:
2 ) Berry sucks. Tomlin kept the wrong punter. Wile had 4 inside the 20 yesterday and just two punts returns in 6 kicks.

Listen closely Coach and answer this simple question.

Who had the higher punting average?

Listen closely Coach and answer this simple question.

Who had the higher punting average?

I still would like a better option than both of them. But I don't think Wil e Coyote was the answer. Or drafting a punter in 5 and missing out on Allen.

I'd much rather see them falter out of the gate in week 1 than in say, week 11. Washington will come around and get involved in a few weeks. Conner looked good, but I'd have liked to have seen a little bit of a RB rotation and pounding the rock a little more. In that weather and with effectively running the ball already, they could have ground out the clock and set up some play action. But, we'll see what happens next week.

I still would like a better option than both of them. But I don't think Wil e Coyote was the answer. Or drafting a punter in 5 and missing out on Allen.

Still would like our resident clown to answer the question.

Plus also consider who was punting indoors and who was punting in adverse weather?

Thats the thing. This team never knows anything. They always have to be told something. What coach worth a damn needs to be told not to run every damn down with a two TD lead with a damn near whole quarter left? This team has not been smart for years. I would bet anyone right now that this team will be nowhere near the Super Bowl. It does not take much to see that. Even at their best, they are not a Super Bowl team. They simply can not be consistent, focused, or whatever you want to call it long enough. No way we sweep the Ravens and Bengals. No way we beat Jax and New England. Count those losses. Add in a few more **** shows along the way. I see 8-8.

Read title of the thread. Don’t highjack.

Like the high % pass that went right through James hands for a pick?
QB didn't throw a pick when were up 21-7

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited: