• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Curse of Santonio

madinsomniac

Reaction score
After the latest Diontae flap, speculation about trading him after the season is once again is picking up…
This opens the possibility of the continuation of perhaps the most interesting asset chain quirk in steelers history… the Legacy of Santonio Holmes..

Holmes, as you all know, was the final First round pick of the Bill Cowher era in 2006.
By 2008 his attitude and off field incidents had prompted rumors that the Steelers might move him in the offseason, but after one of the greatest Super Bowl catches ever, the team retained him one more season before finally having enough and dumping him on the Jets for a fifth round pick …

Here is where it gets weird… they traded the fifth round pick to the cardinals for the return of CB Bryant McFadden and a sixth round pick…

And that pick became on Antonio Brown… who went on to become the superstar WR that Antonio never became… but eventually his off field antics became too much, and he was dealt for a third and fifth round pick…

The fifth round pick became Zack Gentry. A fine backup TE… but the third was used on one Dionte Johnson.. another WR who flashes skill but may be the third straight guy in this chain traded because of attitude and off field stuff..

If that happens, then whatever pick they get should immediately be used on the best character guy in the draft ..,( preferably not another wr) lol… to lift this weird almost curse like coincidence… three straight guys from the same original asset, all ending up as trade fodder for similar reasons 🤦🏻‍♂️

so if DJ is traded this next season does it break the cycle or add to the cycle?

They're not trading DJ until/unless they have someone on the team that can run routes as well as he does. Doesn't matter that he either drops a pass every once in awhile. Doesn't matter that he runs backwards and losses yards he already had. Doesn't matter that he sulks. Pickens hasn't flashed that improved route running we all heard about and Austin hasn't shown any ability to get open other than on routes that allow him to use his speed ("go" routes mostly).
DJ's ability to get open creates opportunity for other players AND, other than Muth, he's the guy that Pickett targets most often.

so if DJ is traded this next season does it break the cycle or add to the cycle?
If tgey use whatever pick they get on him on a wr, that wr immediately becomes possessed by the “Young money” demon and starts getting immature and crazy… apparently it can be contagious to other wrs nearby too.. 🤣

Pretty sure the curse can only be lifted by either using the pick or comp pick we get for Dionte one day on a non skill position, where the crazy doesn’t really affect them, having Swann Stallworth and Ward perform an exorcism, or throwing ten “ Hail mary’s” to the affected receiver in the same game 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Pretty sure the curse can only be lifted by either using the pick or comp pick we get for Dionte one day on a non skill position, where the crazy doesn’t really affect them, having Swann Stallworth and Ward perform an exorcism, or throwing ten “ Hail mary’s” to the affected receiver in the same game 🤣🤣🤣🤣
A fat punter could work

The “CURSE”

Explains why we are where we are. Coach Tomlin is misunderstood / coaching is lacking / Playoff wins are scarce all due to the CURSE.

Until the CURSE is lifted, we will remain in a vicious cycle of under-achieve.

Salute the nation

The “CURSE”

Explains why we are where we are. Coach Tomlin is misunderstood / coaching is lacking / Playoff wins are scarce all due to the CURSE.

Until the CURSE is lifted, we will remain in a vicious cycle of under-achieve.

Salute the nation
Tomlin looked like he had stayed out of the new men in black's way. I am hoping he continues to take that route. Spend the time coaching up the players and keep those fingers out of the cookie jar.

puff, puff, pass

Santonio was traded because he liked Mary J, and at the time players like Josh Gordon were missing seasons because of it. After one failed test, he was a liability under those rules.

AB became a cancer, and no team got production from him, minus Ariens, who didn't want him, but still couldn't get him to behave for a complete season. Steelers as a Family organization, could not retain a person like that.

DJ is getting crucified for a bad play. Why is the media jumping on him? Because it is low hanging fruit. It's easy to have an opinion on a guy that took a play off. Until that moment, he showed the most consistency of not taking plays off. I can show you 3 plays where GP slowed his routes last game, and he gets a pass.

This is a teachable moment. DJ is still relatively young, and he was able to address the team. Let's watch him moving forward. Will he be more focused? Will he play harder? If so, this instance ends up being a positive and we get to enjoy a better version of DJ than we have seen in the past. I, for one, will be rooting for him.

Thanks Stryker. It pisses me off to see Pickens waltzing around on most run plays; he needs a steady diet of Hines Ward game tape.

These are also teachable moments.

Thanks Stryker. It pisses me off to see Pickens waltzing around on most run plays; he needs a steady diet of Hines Ward game tape.

ADD in fellow teammates pulverizing him during practice. Show him what happens when you take a play off...............................................................

Salute the nation

That's interesting. Because from what I've seen, Pickens' laziness shows up mostly on his route running. More often than not, when focusing on what he was doing in the run game, I see a player that is blocking down field. (Note, I don't claim to have an view of the entire field. No All 22 here. So, I'm limited to TV feed)
Nothing like the effort we saw from DJ on "the play". Forget that he didn't do anything after the fumble. As Clark and others noted, he neither blocked his man, nor did he run him off. If he had done either his man wouldn't have been able to recover the fumble and gain yardage as easily as he did. DJ says "that's not who I am as a player". You are what you put on tape.

Santonio was traded because he liked Mary J, and at the time players like Josh Gordon were missing seasons because of it. After one failed test, he was a liability under those rules.

DJ is getting crucified for a bad play. Why is the media jumping on him? Because it is low hanging fruit. It's easy to have an opinion on a guy that took a play off. Until that moment, he showed the most consistency of not taking plays off. I can show you 3 plays where GP slowed his routes last game, and he gets a pass.
Santonio also had dick picks all over the internet.

DJ didnt make a bad play.. He committed herasy. Its not low hanging fruit.. It's inexcuseable. Period. Doesnt matter what he did before that. The man is a paid professional. Hes not a 4th grader in the local community league. **** him.

They're not trading DJ until/unless they have someone on the team that can run routes as well as he does. Doesn't matter that he either drops a pass every once in awhile. Doesn't matter that he runs backwards and losses yards he already had. Doesn't matter that he sulks. Pickens hasn't flashed that improved route running we all heard about and Austin hasn't shown any ability to get open other than on routes that allow him to use his speed ("go" routes mostly).
DJ's ability to get open creates opportunity for other players AND, other than Muth, he's the guy that Pickett targets most often.
All true, but none of it means he's not replaceable, by a draft pick or other. DJ is NOT irreplaceable. And his latest faux pas just adds to why it may be addition by subtraction to rid ourselves of the "problem child." I've grown weary of his childish act and lack of emotional control, I'm sick of the excuses. Add in his dropped passes and "no thanks." Ship him off the team.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/29/pittsburgh-steelers-diontae-johnson-effort-nfl/

Too bad Hines can't come in and give some of these guys some mentoring, or an attitude adjustment or something. Don't coaches do this anymore?

Anyway, maybe they just need to eat some PEPPERED BACON so they can be happy (instead of sulking) and realize they're living the dream of millions of young men who bust their *** on a HS or collegiate level, and get overlooked going forward for whatever reason.

I don't condone his sand-bagging by any means, but HOW long has the cat been frustrated with this pathetic offense? Was it almost 2 years without a TD catch.

Yea, that MVP status should have been given to BEN ROETHLISBERGER, but we know why that didn’t happen.

The curse of the ’ToniO.

Salute the nation
Sorry don't agree. That was an amazing catch, maybe the greatest in NFL history. And Tone was money that entire drive including when they started driving backed up with the center holding(can't remember name) when on what i think was a deep slant he made another ridiculous catch bringing the ball in off his forearm as he was sliding down. The only other possible candidate for MVP in that game was James Harrison. Up until the point of Harrison's pick 6 the offense had put up a grand total of 13 points against a 9-7 Cardinals team with a mediocre defense, but a great offense. And following up on that the Steelers D did contain that great offense for 3 quarters. All Ben had to do was get the points...couldn't do it till Tone at the very end told him " I want the ball!" Ben was great all that season, but no way he deserves MVP in that game, just no way.

Sorry don't agree. That was an amazing catch, maybe the greatest in NFL history. And Tone was money that entire drive including when they started driving backed up with the center holding(can't remember name) when on what i think was a deep slant he made another ridiculous catch bringing the ball in off his forearm as he was sliding down. The only other possible candidate for MVP in that game was James Harrison. Up until the point of Harrison's pick 6 the offense had put up a grand total of 13 points against a 9-7 Cardinals team with a mediocre defense, but a great offense. And following up on that the Steelers D did contain that great offense for 3 quarters. All Ben had to do was get the points...couldn't do it till Tone at the very end told him " I want the ball!" Ben was great all that season, but no way he deserves MVP in that game, just no way.
Santono Holmes was almost the biggest goat in NFL history.. and not the good kind. He dropped a simple perfect td pass the play before his catch…

And yes.. it’s often been related that the only reason Ben didn’t get it was his attitude towards the media at that point… Santonio getting it was them thumbing their nose at him. Harrison was more deserving than Santonio…

what receiver doesn’t say…”I want the ball”. He missed the easy TD catch as well. BEN threaded that needle more than once.

If you can’t see that BEN contributed to that win, then you could need an eye exam.

ALSO in any other Super Bowl, exact same plays / execution / ect…… the QB gets that MVP..

Respectfully yours’, my opinion SIR.

EDIT: Santonio’s big gain was because the defender slipped and fell,…. He’d better make that catch 100% of the time but more importantly, BEN found him and threw to him. BEN was BIG MONEY when crunch time counted. Sorry but BEN was just as integral as Stonio was, and then some.

Salute the nation

what receiver doesn’t say…”I want the ball”. He missed the easy TD catch as well. BEN threaded that needle more than once.

If you can’t see that BEN contributed to that win, then you could need an eye exam.

ALSO in any other Super Bowl, exact same plays / execution / ect…… the QB gets that MVP..

Respectfully yours’, my opinion SIR.

EDIT: Santonio’s big gain was because the defender slipped and fell,…. He’d better make that catch 100% of the time but more importantly, BEN found him and threw to him. BEN was BIG MONEY when crunch time counted. Sorry but BEN was just as integral as Stonio was, and then some.

Salute the nation
Hey everybody is entitled to their opinion and I respect yours. I love Ben as much as any Steeler fan, but I just don't think he did enough In either of the SBs they won to merit MVP. Of course he contributed..he also didn't do much as far as points for half the game(SB 43)

And just a little side trivia the Steelers had 16 first downs in that game...4 came from Cardinal penalties. Very telling of a BA/Ben offense. A modern NFL top 20 offense averages 20 to 25 per game. The Cardinals had 22 in Super Bowl 43.....so that means Ben and BA produced 12 legit first downs in that game....yeah no MVP.

Last edited:
It's sort of like the cursed tiki necklace from the Brady Bunch. We've got to find a way to break the curse...Can someone lure DJ to a volcano? How about that sinkhole in West Mifflin Penndot is always filling up??

iu

iu