• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The franchise tag is coming...............................

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Monday is "TAG" season for two weeks. We have a couple players that would be considered.

Here is approximation. of position and tag. The designation of tag can change this along with restructures / new / etc of said position number.

Here, then, are the tag numbers for 2023 …

• QB: $32,416,000

• RB: $10,091,000

• WR: $19,743,000

• TE: $11,345,000

• OL: $18,244,000

• DE: $19,727,000

• DT: $18,937,000

• LB: $20,926,000

• CB: $18,140,000

• S: $14,460,000

• K/P: $5,393,000

Salute the nation

Mason going hard for that Franchise Tag.

We don't have a taggable player in free agency. I would bet if we offered Sutton half of the tag value on a deal he would sign. 3-years 27 million with 9 million bonus and I think he's ours. I am a little surprised a deal didn't get reached but I don't think we aren't in the running either. The team is probably hanging on to WJ3 and Witherspoon as insurance policies just in case. They wouldn't keep WJ3 at his salary but they have until March 17th before his 2.5 million dollar roster bonus kicks in. That gives them an opportunity to work both resigning Sutton and trying to work out a deal with WJ3. I would gather his actual value at this point is closer to 4-5 million. Witherspoon really just regressed on his press coverage. He was just not being physical at all. It was like he thought as long as he stayed on his guy he could make a play. But if you watch he never pressed his man towards the sideline so he just left a huge area for the QB to throw to for easy run and pass receptions. He needs to use that sideline as an extra DB and force his guy right up against it making it a harder throw for the QB. It's not inconceivable he can get his play back up to snuff but I wouldn't count on it either. If Sutton leaves CB becomes a top 3 need.

Sutton isn't a CB1, let alone a top CB1. I'd offer him $8 million per, which is a huge raise and a more than respectable offer. Give him 3 years with $8-10 million guaranteed.

Thats why you just dont draft a RB in round one...

They are now considered a "dime a dozen" commodity in todays NFL.
You can get backs of almost an equivalent caliber from the 3rd all the way into undrafted ranks, and this is exactly why first round RBs are a foolish play…before even considering their extremely short shelf life.

But technically if you are talking bang for the buck can you do better. The tag value is based on average FA price I woud assume. It's low because player is used up. You are getting say 1300-1500 yards per year for 5 yards for 23 million total. Not bad really.

Regarding “bang for buck” you can definitely do better by drafting OL

They cost more to sign in FA and have longer careers so sometimes you can get more than 4-5 years out of your investment and these players help both passing and run game more.

Of the top paid RBs there are only 10 guys making 7M per or more, that’s why the lower number for tagging them. They simply don’t get paid because they are a dime a dozen…and only 3 of these top guys were first rounders

This is why 5 years 23M and a first rounder both are quite expensive investments for something that can be had much cheaper in draft collateral and salary

Monday is "TAG" season for two weeks. We have a couple players that would be considered.

Here is approximation. of position and tag. The designation of tag can change this along with restructures / new / etc of said position number.

Here, then, are the tag numbers for 2023 …

• QB: $32,416,000

• RB: $10,091,000

• WR: $19,743,000

• TE: $11,345,000

• OL: $18,244,000

• DE: $19,727,000

• DT: $18,937,000

• LB: $20,926,000

• CB: $18,140,000

• S: $14,460,000

• K/P: $5,393,000

Salute the nation
Watch out, RB.
K/P is gaining on you.
WOW!
EVEN TE gets more!

Najee was a reach in hopes he could single handedly fix a malingering running game so we could go on one last hunt for a championship with Ben at the helm. In my opinion if the 11-0 start the previous season that gave everyone false hope doesn't happen, drafting Najee doesn't happen.

Najee was a reach in hopes he could single handedly fix a malingering running game so we could go on one last hunt for a championship with Ben at the helm. In my opinion if the 11-0 start the previous season that gave everyone false hope doesn't happen, drafting Najee doesn't happen.

And they still went with a generic OL. You need to invest. The gimmick offense got figured out and it's been swimming upstream ever since.

Theoretically it would coust 23 million dollars to get just about everything you could as a player out of Najee Harris. That ain't right.

Again Rbs just aren’t very valuable… because the difference between a great rb and the production you get from a backup is negligible… build an average line, and you basically can plug and play anyone in the backfield and get decent results…

Think about this… in an age when players play 17 games in a season…. The highest active RB isn’t even in the top 40 in all time yardage despite being in the league for 7 years and nearing his drop off point … RB just isn’t a position with value in this nfl

1st round rb. 5 years and a 10 million tag. Disposable player. They gotta do something.
Harris needs to do better than 4.0 YPC for a season before I even consider the franchise tag.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the LB tag include both ILBs and OLBs?

If anyone can't see that if you put a for real line in front if Najee that everything changes....... enjoy your fantasy football.
I like Najee, but your point completely supports the idea that he isn't a guy who hasn't earned a franchise tag.

NextGenStats has him near the bottom of the league once again in yards over expected.

You can see compared to his peers that faced 8-man boxes in the 20-25% range, Harris rates poorly in terms of overall YPC.

Harris has not been a creator consistently so far in his career and on top of that, he doesn't have breakaway speed. He's averaged 4.0+ YPC in just 12 of 34 career games. He's a mid-tier starting running back right now and I have no problem being critical of him because I do the same with DJ, who is at best the No. 20 receiver. This offense has zero playmakers who scare a defense. Combine this with the idea that Tomlin has only shown his offenses are good with elite talent, you cannot count on the coaching staff to scheme these guys into good situations and high levels of production.

When the line blocked Harris ran well. And the offense was completely different. So enjoy your next generation stats. The guy can run, block and catch. When this line comes together he is going to pull down 1400 yards.

When the line blocked Harris ran well. And the offense was completely different. So enjoy your next generation stats. The guy can run, block and catch. When this line comes together he is going to pull down 1400 yards.
Trouble is he’ll need 400 carries to get that 1400 yards.😁 saying he blocks really well? I’ve seen numerous absolute whiffs by him blocking. I totally disagree with that. Average at best. I wish I knew if he could catch well. Our dear brain thrust have decided that isn’t an important feature of our O. Always blaming everything on the OLine. The lack of burst I would expect in a #1 is so lacking. His vision to hit holes was also lacking. His willingness to plow forward was extremely frustrating......hey.....I hope he proves me wrong and becomes a top 3 RB in the league. This has to be his pivotal year.

When the line started blocking a little (about average) and Najee was healthy (after the bye week), he was a different RB. He was back to being a beast, which is what we want. Add to the OL this offseason and our running game should be even better.

You all also do realize it's hard to get 4 yards a carry when 3 or 4 guys are hitting you right when you get the ball from the QB? No one seems to bring that up. It happened his entire rookie year and on more than half his carries this past year.

If anyone can't see that if you put a for real line in front if Najee that everything changes....... enjoy your fantasy football.
The problem is they spent a pick that should’ve went to OL on drafting Najee

You put that first round lineman in front of Jaylen Warren you’d get at least similar results in the run game while having a legit pass blocker for all those other downs too…with said lineman there may not be a need to pay Chuks LT money opening more space for needed talent

The poor allocation of assets just compounds with every step in roster building

Mason going hard for that Franchise Tag.

I’m pretty sure Mason is going “hard” but I believe it is headed out of town ”hard” that we will be seeing…………….

Salute the nation

I like Najee, but your point completely supports the idea that he isn't a guy who hasn't earned a franchise tag.

NextGenStats has him near the bottom of the league once again in yards over expected.

You can see compared to his peers that faced 8-man boxes in the 20-25% range, Harris rates poorly in terms of overall YPC.

Harris has not been a creator consistently so far in his career and on top of that, he doesn't have breakaway speed. He's averaged 4.0+ YPC in just 12 of 34 career games. He's a mid-tier starting running back right now and I have no problem being critical of him because I do the same with DJ, who is at best the No. 20 receiver. This offense has zero playmakers who scare a defense. Combine this with the idea that Tomlin has only shown his offenses are good with elite talent, you cannot count on the coaching staff to scheme these guys into good situations and high levels of production.

EXCELLENT post 448, thanks for all your great ones alon g the way.

No excuses for crappy OL, this does put things into better perspective.

Salute the nation

That isn’t the question, nearly any RB can run / catch well if his OL ”blocked”. Those next gen stats show all RBs in the same scenario of 8 men in the box.

I agree Najee is a, or can be a great RB but when will we see that greatness? Like BEN, a lot of his prime years are being wasted under this coaching staff.

Any player or unit can be VERY relevent when their unit is primed and ready, it’s just waiting for that “prime” time to happen that hinders the greatness !!!

Salute the nation