• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The franchise tag is coming...............................

That isn’t the question, nearly any RB can run / catch well if his OL ”blocked”. Those next gen stats show all RBs in the same scenario of 8 men in the box.

I agree Najee is a, or can be a great RB but when will we see that greatness? Like BEN, a lot of his prime years are being wasted under this coaching staff.

Any player or unit can be VERY relevent when their unit is primed and ready, it’s just waiting for that “prime” time to happen that hinders the greatness !!!

Salute the nation
If I was running the ball into an 8 man box, I would much rather run behind Cleveland's line, then the Steeler OL post bye, than the Steeler OL for the first 8 games.

Those next Gen stats that some believe show Chubb>>Harris also show stains OL>>Steeler OL. Further, If Chubb was that much more dominant, we would see that in 2 other ways: his clear #1RB status on his own team and his expected contract, which should pat him at the top shelf of NFL RBs.

Those stats make Christian McCaffrey seem average.

You all also do realize it's hard to get 4 yards a carry when 3 or 4 guys are hitting you right when you get the ball from the QB? No one seems to bring that up. It happened his entire rookie year and on more than half his carries this past year.

I know. That's why I just ******* laugh at people blaming him. Poor guy would have 2-4 people on him by the time he got the ball.

I guess some people think any fat body will do on the OL.

If I was running the ball into an 8 man box, I would much rather run behind Cleveland's line, then the Steeler OL post bye, than the Steeler OL for the first 8 games.

Those next Gen stats that some believe show Chubb>>Harris also show stains OL>>Steeler OL. Further, If Chubb was that much more dominant, we would see that in 2 other ways: his clear #1RB status on his own team and his expected contract, which should pat him at the top shelf of NFL RBs.

Those stats make Christian McCaffrey seem average.

100% agree but I was trying to make the point of how long are we going to have to wait for the OL to become relevant?

With this coaching staff / draft staff, it could be a career worth of time.

Salute the nation

I know. That's why I just ******* laugh at people blaming him. Poor guy would have 2-4 people on him by the time he got the ball.

I guess some people think any fat body will do on the OL.
The whole point is fixing the OL. Before drafting your RB. Or QB. Have them in place. It takes a couple years for the line to gel. Laugh all you want. There is a progression. They ****** up big time. Most people certainly do not believe any fat body will do. Which is why they should have spent top draft choices on the line....not 3rd-4th rounders.

Edit.....also it’s not so much blaming Naj. It’s like they set him up to fail. Just like for Ben’s last year,they certainly did not do him any favors with the line they gave him. It was ******* ridiculous. Like Naj was going to be the missing link for Big Bens last hurrah. That sure worked out.

Last edited:
Canaduh is the great defeater on our O. He has made everyone look worse than they are. I think Najee (barring another injury) puts up sweet numbers in 2023. They started throwing to him again late in the season and that needs to continue. Get him a head of steam and he will go over or through anyone in his way. He is a beast and Warren is a great complement.

We can all agree it was a mistake drafting a rb in the 1st without having an Oline. We can only hope Kahn & company learned from that big mistake and fix it before they kill pickett.

Monday is "TAG" season for two weeks. We have a couple players that would be considered.

Here is approximation. of position and tag. The designation of tag can change this along with restructures / new / etc of said position number.

Here, then, are the tag numbers for 2023 …

• QB: $32,416,000

• RB: $10,091,000

• WR: $19,743,000

• TE: $11,345,000

OL: $18,244,000

• DE: $19,727,000

• DT: $18,937,000

• LB: $20,926,000

• CB: $18,140,000

• S: $14,460,000

• K/P: $5,393,000

Salute the nation
How come the cap numbers make a distinction for interior and outside DL, but not OL? Same for LBs; no distinction.

Shouldn't that mean that DTs, OGs, Cs and ILBs are more likely to be FAs because teams will not tag them?

I like Najee, but your point completely supports the idea that he isn't a guy who hasn't earned a franchise tag.

NextGenStats has him near the bottom of the league once again in yards over expected.

You can see compared to his peers that faced 8-man boxes in the 20-25% range, Harris rates poorly in terms of overall YPC.

Harris has not been a creator consistently so far in his career and on top of that, he doesn't have breakaway speed. He's averaged 4.0+ YPC in just 12 of 34 career games. He's a mid-tier starting running back right now and I have no problem being critical of him because I do the same with DJ, who is at best the No. 20 receiver. This offense has zero playmakers who scare a defense. Combine this with the idea that Tomlin has only shown his offenses are good with elite talent, you cannot count on the coaching staff to scheme these guys into good situations and high levels of production.

Totally ignoring the fact he played injured a large part of the season with an injury that severely impacts the vary skills need for a running back to be successful. I am giving him an incomplete grade for the last season and am hopeful we see more of what we saw towards the end.

When the line blocked Harris ran well. And the offense was completely different. So enjoy your next generation stats. The guy can run, block and catch. When this line comes together he is going to pull down 1400 yards.
Eh, there are great RBs and cheap guys all around the league who can create on their own. That’s what I expected.

Totally ignoring the fact he played injured a large part of the season with an injury that severely impacts the vary skills need for a running back to be successful. I am giving him an incomplete grade for the last season and am hopeful we see more of what we saw towards the end.
His rookie year was just okay as well. It’s a two year sample size. I expect a big year next year if he’s the real deal (4.5 YPC).

Najee was exactly what I said he was last year, a back suffering from heavy workload the year prior…he passed the touches threshold (as injury/production relate to) and had a poor ypc and a lingering injury…all things that are to be expected when coming off a heavy workload.

Usually takes backs 1-2 years to return to form for the vast majority (of RBs) that cross the heavy use threshold

He seems like a physical beast so hopefully 1 year of “recovery” does it for him. He definitely was trending up in the latter half of the year.

It would be a helluva shame if it takes 2 of his 5 years to put on a new tire.

His rookie year was just okay as well. It’s a two year sample size. I expect a big year next year if he’s the real deal (4.5 YPC).
His rookie year and last year until after the bye the offensive play calling was terrible. He has had a lot working against him with Canadas play calling and the poor offensive line play. I think we have seen a glimmer of what he could be if used properly. He also needs to catch more passes by design.

Najee was exactly what I said he was last year, a back suffering from heavy workload the year prior…he passed the touches threshold (as injury/production relate to) and had a poor ypc and a lingering injury…all things that are to be expected when coming off a heavy workload.

Usually takes backs 1-2 years to return to form for the vast majority (of RBs) that cross the heavy use threshold

He seems like a physical beast so hopefully 1 year of “recovery” does it for him. He definitely was trending up in the latter half of the year.

It would be a helluva shame if it takes 2 of his 5 years to put on a new tire.
Properly using Warren will help as well. Less wear and tear on both keeps them both running harder. They need to keep mixing them both in.

Certainly not ignoring the fact that he was injured. I would agree with your incomplete. But of course all players play hurt. Especially RB’s. And if he was too hurt that it effected his performance in a big way (which for me was quite obvious) perhaps our upper echelon brain thrusts should have held him out a few games.
When people start to refer to Naj as a beast I just think man. Earl Campbell was a beast, Marshawn Lynch was a beast,Najee Harris a beast? C’mon man. So far not even close. Hopefully he makes me eat my words the next 3 seasons.

Harris is square in the middle of their last 10 First Rounders with upside. I agree he hasn't blown up. I believe next year if he is healthy with a line he will take over games and make life a whole lot easier on KP. Agree Warren is an excellent compliment.

His rookie year and last year until after the bye the offensive play calling was terrible. He has had a lot working against him with Canadas play calling and the poor offensive line play. I think we have seen a glimmer of what he could be if used properly. He also needs to catch more passes by design.
This is exactly it. Harris isn't a guy who is special enough to create on his own and needs the help to get the job done. You can say the same about a lot of running backs, which is why you don't invest a first rounder into the position.

This is exactly it. Harris isn't a guy who is special enough to create on his own and needs the help to get the job done. You can say the same about a lot of running backs, which is why you don't invest a first rounder into the position.
I don't think there is a rb in this league who creates under those circumstances.
I would say his patient style with that line probably a poor fit. Ad I get at times Warren looks better. But I think there is a difference between a lead back and a change of pace.

I don't think there is a rb in this league who creates under those circumstances.
I would say his patient style with that line probably a poor fit. Ad I get at times Warren looks better. But I think there is a difference between a lead back and a change of pace.
The line isn't as bad as what we make it out to be in terms of run blocks and there was film analysis of Harris showing his struggles with vision. If you put Saquan, Chubb, or Henry in the offense, they are absolutely producing regardless of the circumstances because they're excellent players. Harris is what he is at this point and it's not a running back that will change a game.

The line isn't as bad as what we make it out to be in terms of run blocks and there was film analysis of Harris showing his struggles with vision. If you put Saquan, Chubb, or Henry in the offense, they are absolutely producing regardless of the circumstances because they're excellent players. Harris is what he is at this point and it's not a running back that will change a game.
The line in December they would have done what he did. No one was doing anything in October. No one.
Barklay had less than 300 yards more with 20 more carries. It ain't looking any different with him in there.

Last edited:
Last year it was absurd how many times he got hit behind the LoS just after he got the rock

How come the cap numbers make a distinction for interior and outside DL, but not OL? Same for LBs; no distinction.

Shouldn't that mean that DTs, OGs, Cs and ILBs are more likely to be FAs because teams will not tag them?

Dang good question.

Salute the nation