• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The legend of SOG

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score

MACV SOG. Miltary Assistance Command Vietnam/Studies and Observation Group.
Fence jumpers. I honor these brave men. The video below is an analysis of their missions, by a vet.
Any thoughts, especially from our vets here?

Just an aside, Elfie claimed his brother was killed in the highlands working with the Yards. I tend to believe him because typical tards wouldn't have such knowledge of military ops in VN.

That is SF ops. Ties in.

Just an aside, Elfie claimed his brother was killed in the highlands working with the Yards. I tend to believe him because typical tards wouldn't have such knowledge of military ops in VN.

That is SF ops. Ties in.
I never believed Elfie on that stuff, its all readily available public knowledge now. Lots of things get hidden in plain sight that way. for instance ballistic missile development was done in plain sight under the guise of the space program.

The military is constantly evolving with the battlefield ever changing. There are all sorts of these small, highly trained teams with specific functions. For instance, I was a member of what was WICP (Wing Initial Communications Package). We surrendered our dog tags loading onto a C-130 and wouldn't get our orders until we were in the air. Our missions were to deploy into remote locations and provide forward deployers (usually SF guys) with direct line communications with Hurlburt Field in Florida. To give you an idea of what it was like; We would need to do trigonometry to figure out the density of the Ionosphere and angle of refraction for our radio waves to hit Hurlburt Field as well as establish short wave comms to the forward deployers while potentially under fire. We could be there for hours or even a few days with minimal rations and then we'd be extracted. It morphed into TDC/ICAP the last few years I was in and it is now a component of what you may know as TACP (Tactical Air Control Party). When the "fun" was over I was expected to resume my duties at my permanent duty station until the next time we were needed. There are a lot of units like this that you just never hear about.

If I was one of the SOG guys, hearing the bullshit coming out of that General's mouth, I'd hunt him down. What bullshit. Throwing out SOG guys to draw fire is just beyond stupid, and then to carpet bomb the area to ensure they weren't captured. It has me speechless.

If I was one of the SOG guys, hearing the bullshit coming out of that General's mouth, I'd hunt him down. What bullshit. Throwing out SOG guys to draw fire is just beyond stupid, and then to carpet bomb the area to ensure they weren't captured. It has me speechless.
I figured any honorable vet would feel that way.

Worth a listen. He is the guy on that Youtube thumbnail above.

Jocko is a great listen. Very informative while not being dull at all (lol, dude is a beast).