• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers have a serious problem with head coach Mike Tomlin

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Great (long) article.

The Steelers have a serious problem with head coach Mike Tomlin

by Michelle Kotts2 minutes ago Follow @kottsmichelle

The Steelers 2022 season seems like a train wreck, one which someone has filmed in slow motion, and it does not seem poised to get much better anytime soon.

There is no lack of blame for potential causes. Matt Canada’s play calling is simply horrible, and you could see the look of angst on his face late in the 4th quarter of the Bills game. Some people want to blame the offensive line too. There is a degree of truth to the offensive line’s struggles, but keep in mind the offensive line didn’t give up 38 points and 552 total yards either.

Others will undoubtedly blame the fact that T.J. Watt has missed four games, as to why the Steelers lost. If that is true, you must ask why there is not more talent around him so that in the event of his absence the team should be able to still win. In the 70s, if Joe Greene missed a game, it didn’t mean doom and gloom. Heck injuries have decimated the Steelers defense, but even then, the defense was still reasonably healthy until the Jets’ game.

The point is that all of these play a role in the Steelers season going sideways. It’s not like suddenly, at the start of 2022, they just became a bad team. They have slowly drifted that way for quite a while. Yet one question needs to be asked. How did the Steelers get to this position? Well, the simple truth is that this is a Mike Tomlin problem.

After watching the Bills pound the Steelers it became clear that the team’s journey to get to this spot and to have their worst beating since 1988 culminated at the hands of poor decision-making over Tomlin’s tenure. This treatise is not an indictment that the Steelers need to fire Tomlin at the end of the season but rather that the Rooneys need to put Tomlin on notice that what he has done is not working.

Tomlin’s winning season streak is totally meaningless​

(It was too long for the board, so click the link above - It's a link, Berm.)

Not really relevant to the article but that's a guy that wrote the article, right? I know his names Michelle but that's gotta be a guy...

I strongly suggest taking the time to read the article, it's a good one. It points out many things some don't want to acknowledge.

Also says what many here point out about Cowher's players and PO wins with them and without them.

Take the time to read it

Great find Djfan, thanks for posting

Salute the nation

Not really relevant to the article but that's a guy that wrote the article, right? I know his names Michelle but that's gotta be a guy...
I prefer to call them (although I know it isn't politically correct) transformers.

You know more than meets the eye.

So, Tomlin sucks?
Sounds like it, huh?
danny-tanner-full-house.gif

It's not a bad article for the most part but this made me laugh.

" Tomlin, in some capacity, needs to remake the Steelers in his image in order to step out of Cowher’s shadow and truly make the Steelers his team."

Tomlin has done exactly this. That's the problem!

Interesting article, and I am one who agrees it’s time to move on from Shades. But Jesus dude! If you’re gonna write an article and be taken seriously, do some fact checking. So many wrong statements here. We have been to an AFC championship since the GB super bowl loss, Cana-Duh was NOT our OC in ‘20, and Austin was NOT our linebackers coach. I know, I know, it doesn’t take away from his point, but I can’t take someone serious who can’t verify simple facts that jumped right out to me on first read through. And sorry, but Slash is right, that picture of writer doesn’t help your case to appeal to the sympathy of the majority of blue collar, old school men and woman Pittsburgh fans.

Yea. We know he is still under contract. What will it take to get this team back to playoff caliber?

To be honest, while I agree with the sentiment that this franchise is due for a new regime, I didnt think the article was all that well-written

To be honest, while I agree with the sentiment that this franchise is due for a new regime, I didnt think the article was all that well-written

I looked at the article as just putting forth what MANY here already know. A change is needed and it needs to be BIG.

Salute the nation

Not a fan of Tomlin but I think it is more of Tomlin not bringing in coaches with some pedigree and teaching ability to improve play of the players we have. For a few years the same obvious problems, tackling, coverage, separation by receivers, dropped passes, OC with no imagination, lack of physicality, Tomlin getting involved with defensive calls. I do believe as others a change is needed but will Rooney make this decision with his respect for Tomlin.

I've said this before. Tomlin is a good recruiter and well-liked by players across the league - similar to Franklin for Penn State. But, he is not a great coach. I can't see Penn State winning anything with Franklin although he is a great recruiter. Tomlin is similar. Sure he got lucky with a SB early on but he hasn't done anything in a decade and the team has continued to get worse and his coordinators can't do their jobs. They have to listen to what Tomlin says. It is definitely time for a regime change. Tomlin has been here a long time and his ways are too entrenched in the team and how it's run and how they select players. Rooney has to see that and if he doesn't then he is truly the problem. I have supported Tomlin up until the last couple of years but it is now time to move on, especially since we have a new QB and are "rebuilding" even though the Steelers will never admit that. My thought though is Tomlin isn't going anywhere until he retires/leaves on his own. So, buckle up butter cup, the next few seasons (and maybe more) are going to be rocky.

I strongly suggest taking the time to read the article, it's a good one. It points out many things some don't want to acknowledge.

Also says what many here point out about Cowher's players and PO wins with them and without them.

Take the time to read it

Great find Djfan, thanks for posting

Salute the nation
Is Tomlin accountable for this team? Yes. And he should be evaluated just like any one else in his position.

But the article just plain sucks and it’s clickbait hyperbole.

The winning with Cowher’s players line is the one that I find the most irritating. Yes, he succeeded with a Super Bowl caliber team, what do you want him to do? Fail? Would that make you happy?

Why didn’t anyone complain with Penguins that Mike Sullivan won with Dan Bylsma’s core with Malkin/Crosby or Scotty Bowman won with Badger Bob’s guys?

How did it work out for Mike Marty or Jim Caldwell when they took over the Rams/Colts?

To another point—this “writer” tries to make the case that the Steelers defense didn’t fall to shambles when Joe Greene was hurt (let’s shelve them fact Greene missed 6 games the entire decade—and by then he was playing with 4 other future Hall of Famers, to say nothing about All Pros, Pro Bowlers and DPOY.

Listen, we suck right now. Years of drafting late & poor drafts (what’s with the fetish of drafting a WR with 2nd pick for 7 years in a row?) all being masked by having a top 15 QB to ever play the game is being caught up with.

It happened to Noll too.

Guess what, the solution is not to point blame and fire everyone. It’s to evaluate the direction and hold accountable. Tomlin’s biggest failures IMO have been lousy hires of assistants. Promoting guys before they are ready—and it hurts both the assistants career as well as the team.

Sent out a brinks truck to bring Munchack back. He probably would have insisted they address the OL and had the influence to pull it off. Why don’t we look at former HCs to be an OC instead of Canada or Finchtner (who were both promoted after 1 year as QB coach)

Why didn’t they interview Ken Whisenhunt to come back? At least have discussion. Nope, let’s go with a guy that has no track record to go against Ben vs. influence & work with him. Whiz won damn SB with him, credibly was there.

Tomlin has no coaching tree because he hasn’t had good assistants and he’s horrible at analytics. It’s not a fatal flaw, Andy Reid is phenomenal at them yet 1 Super Bowl with all the talent he’s has shown there’s more than one way.

They must make tougher decisions as the rubber meets the road. In the meantime, chill out. It’s not the end of the world that the team is going through a period of not being good.

And maybe some of you’s will appreciate winning again more at that point instead of a constant cry fest

The article certainly touched on what most of us around here have been saying.
Something that has always been interesting to me and tell me what your thoughts are on this.
For the most part when a HC is hired it’s because he’s replacing a fired HC for reasons of a poor record, non playoff appearances,etc. Tomlin came into a team one season removed from a SB winning team in 2005 when he took over in 2007. Young SB winning franchise QB, very good TE, WRs, OL, RB, still very good defense.
Very good coordinators and position coaches.
That’s not anywhere near the norm when new coaches have to take what they have and start building. Tomlin needed to follow the formula and keep it going which he deviated from and actually took more and more control and this is what you have today. His coaching decisions have been poor, lots of questionable draft picks, lots of game day poor decisions, poor clock management, poor challenges, not coaching players up, lack of discipline, and so on.
Good example when Maulet got angry because players were joking around laughing on the sidelines in Buffalo last week. That’s on Tomlin!
This Steeler organization is badly broken from the top on down and I don’t know if it will get fixed.

The article certainly touched on what most of us around here have been saying.
Something that has always been interesting to me and tell me what your thoughts are on this.
For the most part when a HC is hired it’s because he’s replacing a fired HC for reasons of a poor record, non playoff appearances,etc. Tomlin came into a team one season removed from a SB winning team in 2005 when he took over in 2007. Young SB winning franchise QB, very good TE, WRs, OL, RB, still very good defense.
Very good coordinators and position coaches.
That’s not anywhere near the norm when new coaches have to take what they have and start building. Tomlin needed to follow the formula and keep it going which he deviated from and actually took more and more control and this is what you have today. His coaching decisions have been poor, lots of questionable draft picks, lots of game day poor decisions, poor clock management, poor challenges, not coaching players up, lack of discipline, and so on.
Good example when Maulet got angry because players were joking around laughing on the sidelines in Buffalo last week. That’s on Tomlin!
This Steeler organization is badly broken from the top on down and I don’t know if it will get fixed.
I think aside from Tomlin running both sides of the ball instead of his coordinators, the biggest problem is how much say he has been getting in who we draft. Realistically, he has basically been the GM for at least the last 5 years. Colbert was still the figurehead but he was taking most direction from Tomlin.

So he is doing a good job at his Bill Obrien impression. Obrien got fired because he sucked.

Did you see the pic. Yeah that’s right

It's not a bad article for the most part but this made me laugh.

" Tomlin, in some capacity, needs to remake the Steelers in his image in order to step out of Cowher’s shadow and truly make the Steelers his team."

Tomlin has done exactly this. That's the problem!
Ain’t been Cowher’s team since 2011.