• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers have a serious problem with head coach Mike Tomlin

Ain’t been Cowher’s team since 2011.

It's Tomlins team and his team sucks. It's sucked for a long time. Being mediocre middle for 12 years sucks. Getting curb stomped in the playoffs sucks too. It's not competing for a championship if you have zero chance to defeat multiple good teams in the playoffs. Same **** new year.

The winning with Cowher’s players line is the one that I find the most irritating. Yes, he succeeded with a Super Bowl caliber team, what do you want him to do? Fail? Would that make you happy?

But that's not how it's being looked at. At least for me.

The argument is that Tomlin has yet to assemble Super Bowl winner. Those were Cowhers guys.
All Tomlin had to do was sit back and watch a machine operate.

Last edited:
The Aerosmith song is Dude Looks Like a Lady, but the "Lady" that wrote this Article looks like a dude.

Is Tomlin accountable for this team? Yes. And he should be evaluated just like any one else in his position.

But the article just plain sucks and it’s clickbait hyperbole.

The winning with Cowher’s players line is the one that I find the most irritating. Yes, he succeeded with a Super Bowl caliber team, what do you want him to do? Fail? Would that make you happy?

Why didn’t anyone complain with Penguins that Mike Sullivan won with Dan Bylsma’s core with Malkin/Crosby or Scotty Bowman won with Badger Bob’s guys?

How did it work out for Mike Marty or Jim Caldwell when they took over the Rams/Colts?

To another point—this “writer” tries to make the case that the Steelers defense didn’t fall to shambles when Joe Greene was hurt (let’s shelve them fact Greene missed 6 games the entire decade—and by then he was playing with 4 other future Hall of Famers, to say nothing about All Pros, Pro Bowlers and DPOY.

Listen, we suck right now. Years of drafting late & poor drafts (what’s with the fetish of drafting a WR with 2nd pick for 7 years in a row?) all being masked by having a top 15 QB to ever play the game is being caught up with.

It happened to Noll too.

Guess what, the solution is not to point blame and fire everyone. It’s to evaluate the direction and hold accountable. Tomlin’s biggest failures IMO have been lousy hires of assistants. Promoting guys before they are ready—and it hurts both the assistants career as well as the team.

Sent out a brinks truck to bring Munchack back. He probably would have insisted they address the OL and had the influence to pull it off. Why don’t we look at former HCs to be an OC instead of Canada or Finchtner (who were both promoted after 1 year as QB coach)

Why didn’t they interview Ken Whisenhunt to come back? At least have discussion. Nope, let’s go with a guy that has no track record to go against Ben vs. influence & work with him. Whiz won damn SB with him, credibly was there.

Tomlin has no coaching tree because he hasn’t had good assistants and he’s horrible at analytics. It’s not a fatal flaw, Andy Reid is phenomenal at them yet 1 Super Bowl with all the talent he’s has shown there’s more than one way.

They must make tougher decisions as the rubber meets the road. In the meantime, chill out. It’s not the end of the world that the team is going through a period of not being good.

And maybe some of you’s will appreciate winning again more at that point instead of a constant cry fest
I think the biggest job of a head coach is assembling the staff. If you do it right, then it doesn’t matter if you are a strategic nincompoop. Get X’s and O’s guys at the three coordinator positions. Make sure your associate head coach fills whatever deficiencies you have… if you aren’t good at strategic thinking, delegate it to him… if you aren’t the motivator, he better be.. if you aren’t good at discipline… maybe too strict or too lenient, then hire a guy who can bear that responsibility…

Make damn sure at least on of the position coaches with each position is a developer who can teach the position, not just teach a singular scheme…

Tomlin has had major issues in this area… I thought he had a shot to have a really good staff this year, but its just not cohesive at all… at some point these issues fall on the head coach..

I think the biggest job of a head coach is assembling the staff. If you do it right, then it doesn’t matter if you are a strategic nincompoop. Get X’s and O’s guys at the three coordinator positions. Make sure your associate head coach fills whatever deficiencies you have… if you aren’t good at strategic thinking, delegate it to him… if you aren’t the motivator, he better be.. if you aren’t good at discipline… maybe too strict or too lenient, then hire a guy who can bear that responsibility…

Make damn sure at least on of the position coaches with each position is a developer who can teach the position, not just teach a singular scheme…

Tomlin has had major issues in this area… I thought he had a shot to have a really good staff this year, but its just not cohesive at all… at some point these issues fall on the head coach..
I wasn't thinking this. I thought they had a chance but didn't give Flores the defensive reigns. I wasn't enthused but held out hope as usual. I thought more of the free agents they brought in but like last year thought they fell short at solidifying some areas. ILber, depth at CB, T and OLBer.

3 out of the 4 already bit them in the ***.

If it takes a factory of sadness for a couple years to get change and this thing turned around with a new coach, I'm ok with that. The problem has been for many years feaux contention and acceptance of mediocrity.
Think they would let him go after a few years do ya?

Exactly, the best leaders aren't necessarily renaissance men who are great at everything. The best leaders are those who know how to delegate and hire the right people.

Think they would let him go after a few years do ya?
Yes I do. I think ownership is fine with the facade of contention. I don't think they are good with embarassment. Money roles with a facade because by the time it crumbles its too late and people live in next year country. That's is a pretty tough sell with this ****.

The argument is that Tomlin has yet to assemble Super Bowl winner. Those were Cowhers guys.
All Tomlin had to do was sit back and watch the machine operate.
Not just the players but pretty much Cowher's whole coaching staff as well.

Good coaching today! Way to come away with the upset with our whole secondary out! Our team really plays for him I don't know a better motivater in the league

Steelers definitely have an injury issue

It's a start in the right direction after many weeks of getting rolled over.

I'm enjoying the moment. They'll need to do it again the next 2 weeks to reach .500

Hopefully we get Minkah back at least.

Tomiln deserves props for today's game. Not sure what the adjustments were from the last few weeks, but they did it.

He gets credit when it goes well, just like he gets blame when it goes poorly. Today went well. If he keeps it up for a few years, kudos to him.

Not a fan of Tomlin but I think it is more of Tomlin not bringing in coaches with some pedigree and teaching ability to improve play of the players we have. For a few years the same obvious problems, tackling, coverage, separation by receivers, dropped passes, OC with no imagination, lack of physicality, Tomlin getting involved with defensive calls. I do believe as others a change is needed but will Rooney make this decision with his respect for Tomlin.
The only legitimate shot Rooney has of turning this team around without firing Tomlin is to hire coaches and give him (tomlin) strict orders not to even speak to them. Tomlin would be HC in name only. Allow the new coordinators to hire their coaches and crew and make all calls on their side of the ball! I don't think Rooney has the balls to do this, unfortunately, otherwise, he should just fire Tomlin and get a new head coach.

Tomiln deserves props for today's game. Not sure what the adjustments were from the last few weeks, but they did it.

He gets credit when it goes well, just like he gets blame when it goes poorly. Today went well. If he keeps it up for a few years, kudos to him.
Agree 100%. I give Tomlin A LOT of **** on here but there were dudes just stepping up BIG TIME. Arthur Maulet had a monster game. Perhaps ripping into players and being a vocal leader made a difference. We'll never know. now, lets keep this up week after week.

The only legitimate shot Rooney has of turning this team around without firing Tomlin is to hire coaches and give him (tomlin) strict orders not to even speak to them. Tomlin would be HC in name only. Allow the new coordinators to hire their coaches and crew and make all calls on their side of the ball! I don't think Rooney has the balls to do this, unfortunately, otherwise, he should just fire Tomlin and get a new head coach.
Yeah there's no way Tomlin would agree to this, nor should he, really. Such a set-up would be a disaster of a locker room, just waiting to happen

Not just the players but pretty much Cowher's whole coaching staff as well.

As long as most of that original coaching staff was present, the STEELERS were very relevant. As the players and as importantly the assistant coaches left, the team became less and less relevant all the way to current product.

Salute the nation

am i full of ****? Great D effort. Good Special teams. Adequate by the offense. I thought we would get ******* rocked , and come away with a loss.

Yup

j/k

Salute the nation

As long as most of that original coaching staff was present, the STEELERS were very relevant. As the players and as importantly the assistant coaches left, the team became less and less relevant all the way to current product.
People don't last forever in a job, especially in pro sports. As Cowher's players and staff retired or moved on, they were almost invariably replaced by people who weren't as good as the people they replaced. This while we had the same GM.

Solid job by the whole team today including coaching. Do I think we’re a good team? No.

In my eyes, this the equivalent of us losing to a bad team years ago when we were very good and played down to our competition, except we’re the team that other teams look past now.

Brady was most likely hung over from being at Kraft’s wedding on Saturday. Thanks, Bobby.

All Tomlin had to do was sit back and watch a machine operate.

Who the hell cares about if it’s was or wasn’t Cowher’s players? If it bothers you that much over a decade later, maybe should find something else to do in your free time

Right now the big Tomlin issue is that he has to learn to win without a vet Hof caliber QB. Playing to win in the final minute might not be a good plan anymore