• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The WAY WAY WAY too early draft thread :)

1 BPA @ OLB/CB/FS/WR/TE/ILBer (not in order of preference)
2 BPA of the remaining needs
3 BPA that wasn't picked in 1 and 2
4 BPA that wasn't picked 1 and 2 and 3
5 BPA
6 BPA

1. OLB -Harris/Lawson.Watt
2. CB-Lewis/Sutton
3. TE - Clemson Kid?
4. DE/RB-Toledo RB?

I guess I didn't think Cockrell played that poorly. When he got beat it usually was more because of the lack of pass rush as he covered his guy for 4+ seconds and no one was even near the QB. Also, I am really not sure of the Steelers plans with Gilbert. He started getting playing time near the end of the season so do they feel he has potential? And then the 64 thousand dollar question is can Golson stay healthy. For a guy who never had injuries he since being drafted definitely caught the injury bug. Is it due to playing vs bigger stronger players in the NFL? Gay is not spectacular but I feel is still serviceable.

Also, I saw a lot more missed assignments from our safeties than our CB's. One time Golden allowed Hogan free in the end zone and the next Mitchell got caught looking in the backfield and Hogan flew by him. I like what I see in potential from Davis but feel a ballhawk safety taking that deep ball and seem up the middle away is a definite need.

Our line is very solid but I don't want to get soft via depth. Hubbard seems to be a nice depth guy at tackle but not so great at guard. Also, RFA this year but UFA next. Harris is all but gone. Hawkins comes back from injury so if a late round pick can't beat him out put on PS and see if they can win a spot next year. Again, not a need. Same thing at guard we have good starters but depth is always something you need.

I did this before Ben announced he's considering retirement. Honestly, if he retires we are screwed and would be better off trading any good player over 28. Or over spending on a Romo or Cutler in hopes we can squeeze enough out of them to be competitive.

Now I don't think Ben will retire but I have been projecting a 2019 early pick for his replacement as Ben would be 37 then and that would give us 1-2 years to groom a backup. You don't want to be the Broncos and draft a guy too early and then be forced to overpay to keep them before you know if he's any good. And you don't want to be the Packers and have to boot your HOF QB for a younger guy because your HOF QB keeps saying he's going to retire. So if I am the Rooney's I have a meeting in a few weeks with Ben maybe a month and ask how serious he is about retiring. That gives him time to reflect and to wash the defeat off and maybe make some requests to how the roster is being shaped. Maybe he is sick of turning late round picks into pro bowlers and wants to be surrounded with a few more weapons. Or maybe he really only has 1-2 years left in the tank. If so I would seriously look at that Kizer from Notre Dame. He has everything physically you want so I could see him being a riser in the draft but is currently rated a late 1st early 2nd round prospect. He has a strong arm, quick feet, good accuracy. His problems stem from late delivery and a little bit of stare down my WR syndrome. Those traits worry me as we never fixed Kordell of those two issues. But maybe a year of getting his footwork in place and speeding up his decision process would be all he needs. Another guy to look for in round 2-3 is Brad Kaaya and as seen above has the arm and skills just footwork and decision making needs to be quicker. He also is thinner and I feel that makes him a later round prospect than Kizer. The last guy I would consider (as of right now) is Davis Webb from Cal. He has a much stronger arm than Goff and maybe even better accuracy. He does make some boneheaded decisions (theme with the QB's I took) but you can't get everything from a QB picked not in the top 5 so I take physical ability and hope the scouts and coaches can find a guy who is teachable.

If Brown is traded? This might make sense.

If Brown is traded? This might make sense.

Tennesee is 9-7. A team on the rise coached by Mike Mularkey and Dick Lebeau. Mariota made strides forward at quarterback. What their offense needs are playmakers.

They also have the 5th overall pick ( from The Rams ) and the 18th overall pick. So they have some ammunition to trade

Would you take the 5th overall pick and their third round pick in exchange for Antonio Brown?

The Steelers could trade down in round one, picking up an extra 2nd and 4th.

Then our draft could look something like this:

Round one 1 ) Trade down to pick TE O.J. Mayo. A stud TE with power, size, speed and hands. Great blocker too. I think he's a star in the making.

Round one ( our pick ) OLB TJ Watt. JJ's bro was productive as heck last year in the big ten as a pass rusher and has versatility in his game. Could start as a rookie.

Round two via trade ( Trade down from round one ) Best WR on the board. Travis Rudolph. I prefer a bigger WR who runs good routes and has good hands. We have enough small quick guys in Rogers and Ayers.

Round two ( our pick ) CB Tre'Davious white. LSU's corner gets his hands on lots of passes. Very durable. Could be a slot corner as well. Gay looked old vs New England and Cockrell is more of a 3rd zone type of corner.

Round three Titans pick. ILB Elijah Lee. A high motor type of player. Very productive vs the run or pass. Can blitz, tackle well, and intercept the ball. Timmons needs to be replaced, and is a free agent. Lee is the type that can play base, or nickle, teaming with Shazier.

Round three ( Our pick ) CB Damontae Kazee. 15 interceptions in the past two years. Such a player would be welcome in our nickel or dime

Round 4 ( Titans ) BPA DL

Round 4 ( ours ) BPA S

^^^ This type of draft would upgrade the speed on defense, the pass coverage on defense, the pass rush on defense, and give us a stud TE. Losing Brown would hurt, but we'd have a stud TE, a top WR prospect, and hopefully Bryant back.

I don't think White makes it to our slot in round 2

I don't think White makes it to our slot in round 2

Well then flip flop and take hm first in round to, OR send our 4th to trade up to get him for our initial pick

I like him :)

Do you think this type of trade would make sense for both parties?

Last edited:
Well then flip flop and take hm first in round to, OR send our 4th to trade up to get him for our initial pick

I like him :)

Do you think this type of trade would make sense for both parties?

I wanted him to enter the draft last year so we could get him in round 1.

I guess I didn't think Cockrell played that poorly. When he got beat it usually was more because of the lack of pass rush as he covered his guy for 4+ seconds and no one was even near the QB. Also, I am really not sure of the Steelers plans with Gilbert. He started getting playing time near the end of the season so do they feel he has potential? And then the 64 thousand dollar question is can Golson stay healthy. For a guy who never had injuries he since being drafted definitely caught the injury bug. Is it due to playing vs bigger stronger players in the NFL? Gay is not spectacular but I feel is still serviceable.

Also, I saw a lot more missed assignments from our safeties than our CB's. One time Golden allowed Hogan free in the end zone and the next Mitchell got caught looking in the backfield and Hogan flew by him. I like what I see in potential from Davis but feel a ballhawk safety taking that deep ball and seem up the middle away is a definite need.

Our line is very solid but I don't want to get soft via depth. Hubbard seems to be a nice depth guy at tackle but not so great at guard. Also, RFA this year but UFA next. Harris is all but gone. Hawkins comes back from injury so if a late round pick can't beat him out put on PS and see if they can win a spot next year. Again, not a need. Same thing at guard we have good starters but depth is always something you need.

I did this before Ben announced he's considering retirement. Honestly, if he retires we are screwed and would be better off trading any good player over 28. Or over spending on a Romo or Cutler in hopes we can squeeze enough out of them to be competitive.

Now I don't think Ben will retire but I have been projecting a 2019 early pick for his replacement as Ben would be 37 then and that would give us 1-2 years to groom a backup. You don't want to be the Broncos and draft a guy too early and then be forced to overpay to keep them before you know if he's any good. And you don't want to be the Packers and have to boot your HOF QB for a younger guy because your HOF QB keeps saying he's going to retire. So if I am the Rooney's I have a meeting in a few weeks with Ben maybe a month and ask how serious he is about retiring. That gives him time to reflect and to wash the defeat off and maybe make some requests to how the roster is being shaped. Maybe he is sick of turning late round picks into pro bowlers and wants to be surrounded with a few more weapons. Or maybe he really only has 1-2 years left in the tank. If so I would seriously look at that Kizer from Notre Dame. He has everything physically you want so I could see him being a riser in the draft but is currently rated a late 1st early 2nd round prospect. He has a strong arm, quick feet, good accuracy. His problems stem from late delivery and a little bit of stare down my WR syndrome. Those traits worry me as we never fixed Kordell of those two issues. But maybe a year of getting his footwork in place and speeding up his decision process would be all he needs. Another guy to look for in round 2-3 is Brad Kaaya and as seen above has the arm and skills just footwork and decision making needs to be quicker. He also is thinner and I feel that makes him a later round prospect than Kizer. The last guy I would consider (as of right now) is Davis Webb from Cal. He has a much stronger arm than Goff and maybe even better accuracy. He does make some boneheaded decisions (theme with the QB's I took) but you can't get everything from a QB picked not in the top 5 so I take physical ability and hope the scouts and coaches can find a guy who is teachable.

Kind of where i'm at with Ben as well. If he intimates that he is on his last legs, it't time to look at a franchise guy early.
If he gets upset and not adding to his arsenal and instead, building for the future, so be it. The Steelers can't wait around hoping he returns each year.
Ideally, Ben comes in and says I want to play a few more years but I need weapons. Rooney/Tomlin/Colbert should be on the hook to go out and get him weapons.
One specific weapon that would help Ben is bolstering the defense. In FA, resign Bell, Brown, Cockrell, Timmons, Matthews, Tuitt. I would cut Green for his own personal safety and the fact that he will never play
more than 6 games a season. Make one big FA splash - Stephon Gilmore. Will he cost 8-9 mil per year? Yep. This gives you two outside CB's that can play both man and zone.
Golson will hopefully be back and Cockrell is your dime guy. This would be my draft:

Trade your 4th to move up 5-7 spots. We should get a 4th comp for Beachum anyway.

1. Takkarist McKinley OLB: Dynamic edge guy that will take a year or so but has HUGE upside.
2. Justin Evans S: Mike Mitchell with better athleticism and MUCH better hands. The guy is a missile and has great ball skills.
3. Evan Engram TE/WR: I believe he is more WR than TE but what a mismatch down the seam. Let James do the blocking and bring in another big TE via FA.
4comp. Nathan Peterman QB: Good developmental guy that will serve as a backup until Ben retires, at which point we draft a 1st rounder to come in and start.
5. Kareem Hunt RB: Let Karlos Williams/Touissant and him battle it out for #2 RB position behind Bell.

I would trade brown for any combination of 2 1st or a 1st and 2nd.

I love him as a player. I don't care about his antics. But I cannot see us paying 15 mill per year to any wide reciever

1. TJ Watt - OLB - Wisconsin
2. Tre'Davious White - CB - LSU
3. Davis Webb - QB - Cal <--- This kid can throw all routes and read defenses. Needs development on footwork
4. Fish Smithson - S - Kansas <--- under rated Safety playing on a horrid defense.
5. Jalen Reeves -Maybin - ILB - Tenn
6. Vince Taylor - NT - OK St <--- I love this kid's explosivness and power.
7. Chris Godwin - WR - PSU <--- big WR with sure hands. Unlike the Steelers current WRs
8. Evan Berry - S/KR - Tenn <--- He's not a burner but he sees the field well. Averaged almost 40 yards per kick return.

1. TJ Watt - OLB - Wisconsin
2. Tre'Davious White - CB - LSU
3. Davis Webb - QB - Cal <--- This kid can throw all routes and read defenses. Needs development on footwork
4. Fish Smithson - S - Kansas <--- under rated Safety playing on a horrid defense.
5. Jalen Reeves -Maybin - ILB - Tenn
6. Vince Taylor - NT - OK St <--- I love this kid's explosivness and power.
7. Chris Godwin - WR - PSU <--- big WR with sure hands. Unlike the Steelers current WRs
8. Evan Berry - S/KR - Tenn <--- He's not a burner but he sees the field well. Averaged almost 40 yards per kick return.

I could sign my name to that draft. Well done.

Never heard of Fish Smithson though!

Off-Season Possibility?

I started looking at the Draft Prospect Rankings this week and it looks like the CB crop is deep this year, at least as far as predictions for the very early rounds. Obviously a position the Steelers need to upgrade (from Willie Gay).

OLB is another position of need and while there are a few predicted to go early in the first round, it doesn't appear to be as deep as CB.

So here's my question, and yes I suspect I will get hammered for even suggesting it. There are 4 very good OLB who are hitting UFA status post-lowB repuS: Chandler Jones; Melvin Ingram; Jamie Collins; and Nick Perry. Each one would be a significant upgrade over Jarvis and each is around 26-27 so they have good years left in the tank. Only Collins has played on a team with regular success. With 4 top free agents at the same position, it might dilute their asking price down a bit.

We've all read the stories about how much the Steelers have in cap space, even with Brown and Bell up for new contracts/extensions. But we lose a big cap hit in Timmons, we lose Jarvis and Willie Gay's salaries.

Why not take a run at one of those free agent OLB to fix an immediate need with a solid piece? Could still bring back 92 if wanted since he isn't playing full-time. If we could pick up a bookend to match with Dupree then it frees up an early draft pick to go after another CB early in a deep year at that position. Also, I'd rather have a proven OLB right now since we know Ben isn't looking long-term. As Jarvis Jones taught us, a first round OLB is no guarantee and even if he pans out, it may not be the first year or two. We may not have Ben by the time that pick proves himself.

Yes, I know the Steelers don't emphasize Free Agency but how is it not worth trying to solidify that position with one of those 4?

Fire away.

Yeah, antdrewjosh is correct, the Browns locked up Collins

If we get any FA help, I would go for a QB unless Zach is the answer at backup, or WR since we can't count on anyone not named Brown, or RB since we might not have Bell's services for 4 games and not sure how long DWill has left. With three #1 draft picks in three years for LB - even if one was a bust - I can't see spending any more on the LB corps.