• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thinking of running for office and wanted to share this anecdote.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Steeltime is pondering running for local public office. I wanted to share this tidbit from my past, to give yinz some idea of who I am and where I came from. Az in particular might be interested in my story, as he is an Arizona voter. Anyway, here goes.

I was the only Irish guy working at a dental office back in the 1970's. Not anything involving the patients, just cleaning and helping with filing. The office was otherwise filled with Italians - a pretty tough lot back in the day.

So a known troublemaker called Popcorn came to the dental office. The staff huddled together, fearful for the safety, saying, "You know what Popcorn does to teeth. God, you can never get those damn popcorn slivers out of your gums!" Even worse, Popcorn came with two equally notorious buddies - Caramel Corn and Raspberry Seed. Three tough hombres as far as teeth are concerned, I tell you what.

The staff is immobilized with fear, but I knew I had a job to do. So I tell Popcorn, "Hey, Esther Williams, wait for dental help in room 3." I have no idea why I called Popcorn Esther Williams. I really don't. But I could tell that Popcorn and his gang were none too happy with my levity. Popcorn tells me, "Yeah, I'll be waiting in room 3. Waiting for you. And you can expect some dental attention." Remember, Popcorn was not a dentist, so I thought this could be some type of threat, the kind popcorn (and Popcorn) are known for.

Popcorn disappears into waiting room 3 with his two other hombres, and the head dental assistant tells me, "You have to leave. Popcorn is a bad dude, and he runs a bunch of bad dental troublemakers." I tell her, "No, if I walk away, he is going to be back and cause more gum trouble." My buddy, a mechanic in charge of repairing the drills, cut me off a 6 foot piece of dental floss, telling me, "You need to stand up to him, but you gotta protect yourself."

I go into room 3 with the dental floss, and sure enough, Popcorn, Caramel Corn, and Raspberry are waiting for me, all holding rusty dental scrapers. You know, those irritating, sometimes painful metal devices that dental assistants use to clean under the gums. Tough dudes back in my youth would rust dental scrapers by leaving them in that little bowl with swirling water in the dentist's office. We used to call that little porcelain bowl the "rain barrel." Not sure why.

Anyway, I tell Popcorn, "Look, I should not have called you Esther Williams, but you dudes are just bad for teeth. You always get stuck between the teeth and gums and are annoying as hell." Popcorn tells me, "So you apologize for calling me Esther Williams? And who the hell is Esther Williams?" I tell him, "Yes. And she was an actress in the 1930's and 40's," leaving out the whole swimming part. We all know Italians can't swim.

Popcorn, Caramel Corn and Raspberry look at each other, obviously confused about the Esther Williams part, but I casually brandish the 6 feet of dental floss, and they back down. I'm not saying we became friends, but we developed a mutual respect for one another. So remember, when picking a candidate, think about the one who, protected only by dental floss, stood up to three dangerous snacks that get stuck in your teeth, wielding rusty dental scrapers.

dude, you are a certified badass. The good peeps of Az should be proud to vote for you. That said, be glad their banger buddies Soda and Taffy where there to help. You woulda been screwed.

dude, you are a certified badass. The good peeps of Az should be proud to vote for you. That said, be glad their banger buddies Soda and Taffy where there to help. You woulda been screwed.

giphy.gif

Glad you realize that it is not about the length of your dental floss; its how you use it.

You're gonna go far, kid!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steeltime is pondering running for local public office. I wanted to share this tidbit from my past, to give yinz some idea of who I am and where I came from. Az in particular might be interested in my story, as he is an Arizona voter. Anyway, here goes.

I was the only Irish guy working at a dental office back in the 1970's. Not anything involving the patients, just cleaning and helping with filing. The office was otherwise filled with Italians - a pretty tough lot back in the day.

So a known troublemaker called Popcorn came to the dental office. The staff huddled together, fearful for the safety, saying, "You know what Popcorn does to teeth. God, you can never get those damn popcorn slivers out of your gums!" Even worse, Popcorn came with two equally notorious buddies - Caramel Corn and Raspberry Seed. Three tough hombres as far as teeth are concerned, I tell you what.

The staff is immobilized with fear, but I knew I had a job to do. So I tell Popcorn, "Hey, Esther Williams, wait for dental help in room 3." I have no idea why I called Popcorn Esther Williams. I really don't. But I could tell that Popcorn and his gang were none too happy with my levity. Popcorn tells me, "Yeah, I'll be waiting in room 3. Waiting for you. And you can expect some dental attention." Remember, Popcorn was not a dentist, so I thought this could be some type of threat, the kind popcorn (and Popcorn) are known for.

Popcorn disappears into waiting room 3 with his two other hombres, and the head dental assistant tells me, "You have to leave. Popcorn is a bad dude, and he runs a bunch of bad dental troublemakers." I tell her, "No, if I walk away, he is going to be back and cause more gum trouble." My buddy, a mechanic in charge of repairing the drills, cut me off a 6 foot piece of dental floss, telling me, "You need to stand up to him, but you gotta protect yourself."

I go into room 3 with the dental floss, and sure enough, Popcorn, Caramel Corn, and Raspberry are waiting for me, all holding rusty dental scrapers. You know, those irritating, sometimes painful metal devices that dental assistants use to clean under the gums. Tough dudes back in my youth would rust dental scrapers by leaving them in that little bowl with swirling water in the dentist's office. We used to call that little porcelain bowl the "rain barrel." Not sure why.

Anyway, I tell Popcorn, "Look, I should not have called you Esther Williams, but you dudes are just bad for teeth. You always get stuck between the teeth and gums and are annoying as hell." Popcorn tells me, "So you apologize for calling me Esther Williams? And who the hell is Esther Williams?" I tell him, "Yes. And she was an actress in the 1930's and 40's," leaving out the whole swimming part. We all know Italians can't swim.

Popcorn, Caramel Corn and Raspberry look at each other, obviously confused about the Esther Williams part, but I casually brandish the 6 feet of dental floss, and they back down. I'm not saying we became friends, but we developed a mutual respect for one another. So remember, when picking a candidate, think about the one who, protected only by dental floss, stood up to three dangerous snacks that get stuck in your teeth, wielding rusty dental scrapers.

Hilarious! Well done. Still not as good as some of your Katsung work, however. :welcoming:

so you unleashed hell before it was customary to unleash hell. nice!

As usual, I don't know what the **** is going on in here.

Biden told a bullshit story about almost getting in a fight with a gangsta named Corn Pop. Duck Duck Go it.

No wonder I'm lost. I have to listen to Biden to understand the post. When Biden talks, I don't listen.

No wonder I'm lost. I have to listen to Biden to understand the post. When Biden talks, I don't listen.

I was lost too. I really haven't followed anything politics for the last month or so.

Biden's story (transcribed from a video):

“And Corn Pop was a bad dude. And he ran a bunch of bad boys. And back in those days — to show how things have changed — one of the things you had to use, if you used Pomade in your hair, you had to wear a baby cap. And so he was up on the board and wouldn’t listen to me. I said, ‘Hey, Esther Williams! You! Off the board, or I’ll come up and drag you off.’ Well, he came off, and he said, ‘I’ll meet you outside.’”

“My car was mostly, these were all public housing behind us. My car – there was a gate on here. I parked my car outside the gate. And he said, ‘I’ll be waiting for you. He was waiting for me with three guys with straight razors. Not a joke.

There was a guy named Bill Wright the only white guy and he did all the pools. He was a mechanic. And I said, ‘What am I gonna do?’ And he said. ‘Come down here in the basement, where all the mechanics- – where all the pool builder is.’ You know the chain, there used to be a chain that went across the deep end. And he cut off a six-foot length of chain, and folded it up and he said, ‘You walk out with that chain, and you walk to the car and say, ‘you may cut me man, but I’m gonna wrap this chain around your head.’

“I said, ‘You’re kidding me.’” He said, ‘No if you don’t, don’t come back.’ And he was right. So I walked out with the chain. And I walked up to my car. And in those days, you remember the straight razors, you had to bang ’em on the curb, gettin’ em rusty, puttin’ em in the rain barrel, gettin’ em rusty? And I looked at him, but I was smart, then. I said, ‘First of all,’ I said, ‘when I tell you to get off the board, you get off the board, and I’ll kick you out again, but I shouldn’t have called you Esther Williams, and I apologize for that. I apologize.’ But I didn’t know that apology was gonna work.

“He said, ‘you apologize to me?’ I said, ‘I apologize but not for throwing you out, but I apologize for what I said.’ He said, ‘OK,’ closed that straight razor, and my heart began to beat again.”

https://dbdailyupdate.com/index.php...kes-esther-williams-outrage-mob-goes-berserk/

******* ripped off my true encounter with Popcorn, Caramel Corn, and Raspberry Seed.

You have plagiarized Joe the plagiarist.

He’s a lawyer to you know.

This was comical to me.

Now after reading the original content, it was. And creative. And Biden's a ******* mess.

I hadn't heard Biden's story until later so I was wondering WTF.

Local democrats have gotten incredibly mean. If you can take it, go kick ***.