• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

This is the right move

I'd be surprised if Canaduh is fired in-season. Something they simply do not do, or even fire coaches who are under contract. Deuce does not pay people to sit at home.
Shades isn't leaving until his contract is up, at the earliest. His ego wants to prove he can win without Ben. He can't, so it's gonna be a long next few years.
Again, the best OC of Tomlin's tenure was Todd Haley and he was the only one hired from outside and the only one not hired by Tomlin.

In order of likelihood, or what I'd like to see:
Scenario 1: Canaduh stays in the booth, stripped of playcalling duties, and Flores is made the defacto OC. He used to be a HC, he can do it.
Scenario 2: See what it would take to pry Todd Haley away from his HC gig with the USFL. Deuce advises Toddster to be a little nicer to people and tells Shades to leave him alone and you don't say an effing word to him except "good morning".

Last edited:
I'm going to go against popular consensus here. It's easy to bash and put the blame all on one guy(as long as it's not the top guy) and everyone is doing it fans, media...makes it SO easy. Canada is only part of the problem, it starts with Tomlin and the choices he has made over the years. You can dig up Sid Gilman, bring him magically back to life and he's going to do no better than Matt Canada because it's the personnel we have. It starts with the players and that is a Mike Tomlin product. He ignored this O-line for so long it's pathetic, and now look at what we are fielding. It's an old football/coaching cliche, but it is absolutely true: " It all starts up front." Until that is addressed you can bring in whomever you want...not much will change until the head coach changes and with it philosophy, from who we retain to who we sign in free agency on offense.

Mosy here realize Coach Tomlin is here 2 additional seasons and have braced themselves as nothing will change until then. You don't see public outcry due to that fact. The STEELERS do not fire mid contract to much chargone, of many.

Can Coach Tomlin change his game after many years of set actions, who knows but it would take major reversal of his usual conduct.

Salute the nation

I'd be surprised if Canaduh is fired in-season. Something they simply do not do, or even fire coaches who are under contract. Deuce does not pay people to sit at home.
Shades isn't leaving until his contract is up, at the earliest. His ego wants to prove he can win without Ben. He can't, so it's gonna be a long next few years.
Again, the best OC of Tomlin's tenure was Todd Haley and he was the only one hired from outside and the only one not hired by Tomlin.

In order of likelyhood, or what I'd like to see:
Scenario 1: Canaduh stays in the booth, stripped of playcalling duties, and Flores is made the defacto OC. He used to be a HC, he can do it.
Scenario 2: See what it would take to pry Todd Haley away from his HC gig with the USFL. Deuce advises Toddster to be a little nicer to people and tells Shades to leave him alone and you don't say an effing word to him except "good morning".
youre consistant.
I pretty much agree with all of it.

There seems to be some mixed feelings on this. I saw a couple of Steelers insiders suggest the move could (by no means will) be made if it's another poor game from the offense while others don't think the team will fire a coach midseason. I think the results speak for themselves.

the biggest takeaway is Jax. They improved the most by scrapping Urban Meyer’s limited college offense and hiring a veteran NFL offensive coach, Doug Pedersen.

I remember watching somebody break down Trevor Lawrence last year for the jags. He kept showing play after play where the simple route combo was covered and Lawrence had no good option beyond that to make a play. Basically said the system set him up to fail.

I think part of Mitch’s struggles is that he was trying to look for downfield opportunities when few were available. Pickett went in and took the designed short passes as first reads. Pickett LOOKED better because he’s completing a high % and looks decisive but the offense overall can‘t score because there’s no splash plays.

In college, the splash plays would come from your WR being way better than the DB covering, plus havjng more open space due to the wider hashes. Plus college defenses get confused by motion.

If this is true the Eagles game will be interesting in how Canada calls plays with his back against the wall

My brand of crazy is a well known commodity

Look out for the “normal” people

They are obviously hiding something/up to something…can’t trust em

****-ing maniacs are man's best friends........................

Salute the nation

1) He doesn’t in game “coach up” players anyways so it will give him something to do

This is a highly underrated point. Outside of high fives (and not much chance for those lately), dude is always just standing there (and not talking into his mic either). The lack of sideline engagement by Tomlin is really confounding.

This is a highly underrated point. Outside of high fives (and not much chance for those lately), dude is always just standing there (and not talking into his mic either). The lack of sideline engagement by Tomlin is really confounding.
As a huge UGA fan I can honestly say that in any 1 given game I’ve seen Kirby Smart do more coaching of his players than I’ve seen Shades do in his entire tenure…yikes

Maybe he just truly doesn’t know what’s going on or what to say and thus the frequent “deer in headlights” look he sports…might be about time to extend that man’s contract

hahahaha…sometimes it just is so sad ya have to laugh it off

Here's a guy who is under the radar for some reason. Pete Carmichael Jr. has been the OC for New Orleans since 2009. Guy has the QBless saints 3rd in total offense. They might have a worse QB situation than the Steelers. He has been Sean Payton's guy for his entire stint with the Saints.

Here's a guy who is under the radar for some reason. Pete Carmichael Jr. has been the OC for New Orleans since 2009. Guy has the QBless saints 3rd in total offense. They might have a worse QB situation than the Steelers. He has been Sean Payton's guy for his entire stint with the Saints.

I have a pretty good friend who is devoted to his saints as I am to my STEELERS. I've threatened him many times over about us high-jacking Pete to the steelers.

Ford, make this happen !!!!

Salute the nation

The exact type of guy we need
Brilliant

Tomlin will never hire someone smarter than him

Cowher hired the BEST available and continually had a very competitive team. Even on Cowher's down years you knew it wasn't going to be for long. Even his last down year was the following season after the SB he won, which those same near players went on to win another suberbowl.

Salute the nation

Cowher hired the BEST available and continually had a very competitive team. Even on Cowher's down years you knew it wasn't going to be for long. Even his last down year was the following season after the SB he won, which those same near players went on to win another suberbowl.

Salute the nation
…except for Ray Sherman. Wasn’t quite the fit with Kordell and that offense. They tried to square peg a round hole there.

If this is true the Eagles game will be interesting in how Canada calls plays with his back against the wall

If they trot out the same **** they've been doing against the No.1 pass defense at the moment it will be an epic failure. No qb will succeed in that ****. That defensive front of theirs will most likely be in the backfield a lot anyway. It's a really bad spot for a qb to be in right now.

Since we run the same plays over and over and don't use the middle of the field, I can seriously see 4-6 turnovers today and a beat down that will rival what Buffalo did.

On paper it doesn't look good at all. So if they have ANYTHING else in the tool bag besides this amateur scheme they'd better use it now.

…except for Ray Sherman. Wasn’t quite the fit with Kordell and that offense. They tried to square peg a round hole there.

Very true ind in response to that "non-fit" Cowher fired hi mid season, something Tomlin hasn't done with O'Canada...................... YET.!

Salute the nation

Very true ind in response to that "non-fit" Cowher fired hi mid season, something Tomlin hasn't done with O'Canada...................... YET.!

Salute the nation
I don’t think Coweher fired him… just stripped him of playcalling duties… you can be OC and not call plays… several coaches call offensive plays instead of their OCs…

Cowher also said calling playswas tge worse decision he ever made lol

And Kevin Gilbride.