• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Time to stock up again

I've got the Honda EU2000. It's so friggin quiet. As always, Honda is expensive but I've read good things about Westinghouse.

I'll look into both, thanks.

Edit: Oh yeah, the Honda is bookoo dolla.

Oh snap, I kept looking at portable generators and it was only allowing me to add 3,900 or less watt generators to my cart (Commiefornia) - but I just found a DuroMax 15k watt that says it's 50 state approved.
My Honda EU2000 (2000watt) generator easily runs a lot of things. Obviously, it can't run the whole house but in a bad situation, I can keep my furnace going and keep 2 fridges going. I probably wouldn't try all 3 at once though., even though it would probably work. My furnace draws around 400 watts to run.

I've read some good reviews about the Westinghouse portable gen....For half or less than what I paid for the Honda.

That's what I'm planning on getting (4-stroke though), Ron. You have a particular brand/type you'd recommend? I never heard of this before but it got great reviews:

Whatever is cheap at Harbor Freight. I don’t need to power the whole house, just run my fridge or the TV.

Yeah I'm looking at the Westinghouse now jim. Checking out this guy:

And it's allowing me to check out if I want with my zip code so looks like all's good.

Whatever is cheap at Harbor Freight. I don’t need to power the whole house, just run my fridge or the TV.

Or I could go that route. I'd want to power fridge and deep freezer along with TV and maybe a couple gadgets.

I can't see the Amazon link you posted but honestly if you're just looking to keep food cold it doesn't take much. I just bought a new LG fridge this spring and it's got WiFi to my phone. It only uses like 45-60 watts per hour or so the app says. 2,000 watts really is quite a bit just to keep things going and not having a huge, expensive gen to store. Oh, and LED tv's hardly consume anything at all.

Good to know jim.

Or I could go that route. I'd want to power fridge and deep freezer along with TV and maybe a couple gadgets.
A fridge will keep your food cold for 24 hours without power if you don't open the door too often. Freezers are good for up to 72 hours.

Now then, for a gas powered generator you want to have a supply of fuel, a full tank in the generator plus a 5 gallon can. I cannot emphasize this enough, treat the gas in both with Sta-Bil. If you don't and they sit for 6 months to a year without being used, the gas will go bad and it won't start when you need it. Sta-Bil doesn't cost much, Walmart has it in the auto section.

Last edited:
A fridge will keep your food cold for 24 hours without power if you don't open the door too often. Freezers are good for up to 72 hours.

Now then, for a gas powered generator you want to have a supply of fuel, a full tank in the generator plus a 5 gallon can. I cannot emphasize this enough, treat the gas in both with Sta-Bil. If you don't and they sit for 6 months to a year without being used, the gas will go bad and it won't start when you need it. Sta-Bil doesn't cost much, Walmart has it in the auto section.

I have Sta-Bil in my roadster, UTV, generator and snow blower. Cheap insurance.

Good to know. This is turning into an educational thread for me. This long-time city boy never even heard of Sta-Bil. I was looking at on-wheels 14 gallon gas containers but maybe I'm going a little bonkers here.

Good to know. This is turning into an educational thread for me. This long-time city boy never even heard of Sta-Bil. I was looking at on-wheels 14 gallon gas containers but maybe I'm going a little bonkers here.
Sta-Bil has been around for years, primarily as a fuel stabilizer for cars, boats, and lawn equipment in storage. Several years ago I had problems with my lawnmower starting and took it to the shop where they had to replace the carburetor. Guy at the shop told me that all gas has at least 10% ethanol in it now which evaporates faster than gasoline and in small engines it will gum up the carbs so I should use Sta-Bil in the gas all the time, not just when storing for winter. Since I've done that I've not had any problems with the mower, snowblower, weed whacker, or jetski. Cars are not as much of a problem since most have fuel injection and high pressure fuel pumps but in older cars and small engines the gas sits in the carburetors and goes bad. With Sta-Bil the gas will be good for up to two years.

Sta-Bil has been around for years, primarily as a fuel stabilizer for cars, boats, and lawn equipment in storage. Several years ago I had problems with my lawnmower starting and took it to the shop where they had to replace the carburetor. Guy at the shop told me that all gas has at least 10% ethanol in it now which evaporates faster than gasoline and in small engines it will gum up the carbs so I should use Sta-Bil in the gas all the time, not just when storing for winter. Since I've done that I've not had any problems with the mower, snowblower, weed whacker, or jetski. Cars are not as much of a problem since most have fuel injection and high pressure fuel pumps but in older cars and small engines the gas sits in the carburetors and goes bad. With Sta-Bil the gas will be good for up to two years.
What you said can't be emphasized enough. Ethanol also absorbs water, which is corrosive over time in aluminum/pot metal carburetors. It turns into white, pasty goo that then plugs up the tiny passages the fuel flows through. A good stabilizer is a must with carburetors.

Costco has the Firman 7500W R/ 9500W P portable generator for just under $1k... and it's tri-fuel (gas, propane, natural gas). I'm seriously considering it.

Anyone ever had a power transfer switch installed in your home so in case of a power outage, the portable generator can hook up directly to your home's electrical panel to power selected devices?