• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

TJ Watt vs Myles Garrett

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been noticing a lot of articles touting how great of a season Garrett is having, how he's poised to break the sack record, how he could be in the MVP conversation (even if it's just a single vote). They talk about his win rate, his knockdowns, of course his sack numbers... But what never comes up? Watt. I feel like the media is already campaigning for Garrett for DPOY, and once again this will leave Watt out, even tho he is more than deserving.

So lets dive into the numbers a little bit. Garrett has 12 sacks, 20 solo tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 1 pass defense, 0 FF, 0 FR in 9 games. And lets be honest. 12 sacks in 9 games is a great pace, not going to take that away from him at all. BUT....
Watt has 11.5 sacks, 26 solo tackles, 11 tackles for loss, 4 pass defense, 3 FF, 2 FR in SEVEN games. If they both continue at the same pace as the first half of the season, TJ will distance himself and let his play do the talking. I just don't get how TJ continues to just slide under the radar the way he has. Is it because it's just to be expected now? Has he set HIS standard so high that this is just ho-hum another year for TJ?

Alot of sites have Garret and Watt 1 and 2 with very close odds around +300 or +350. A couple have Watt behind Garret, Diggs, and Donald with Watt listed at +900. I'm sure Watt will be getting more love if he continues his play.

Watt is the best, period. If he stays healthy the rest of the way, he will distance himself. And, if he gets someone opposite him (Highsmith get some consistency or Taco helping out), Watt will more than distance himself.

TJ may catch him in sacks, but he will never catch Garrett in the “qbs bashed in the head with their own helmet” category

******* HILLARIOUS

B-U-T

Oh so true.................................

Salute the nation

Watt is the best, period. If he stays healthy the rest of the way, he will distance himself. And, if he gets someone opposite him (Highsmith get some consistency or Taco helping out), Watt will more than distance himself.

It comes down to how consistant they can rotate TJ for small rest periods. If they run the horse wide open, think "till the wheels fall off", he may fade towards the end of the season.

TJ has been flamboozzled out of arguably two DPOY awards already, a travisty if it becomes a third.

Salute the nation

I'm not taking nothing away from Watt. His numbers speak for themselves....but I would love to see him make more plays in the 4th quarter.

I'm not taking nothing away from Watt. His numbers speak for themselves....but I would love to see him make more plays in the 4th quarter.

Like maybe a game winning play or something...................?

Salute the nation

In retrospect, I hope all those media folks who decided Watt shouldn't get DPOY last year (or the year before) because he had pro-bowl caliber talent on the other side (Dupree) and thus his numbers were skewed by being on a GREAT team can now look at Bud and see that he's "just a guy" without Watt drawing inordinate amounts of attention from the offense.

It comes down to how consistant they can rotate TJ for small rest periods. If they run the horse wide open, think "till the wheels fall off", he may fade towards the end of the season.

TJ has been flamboozzled out of arguably two DPOY awards already, a travisty if it becomes a third.

Salute the nation
They've been giving him some rest. I saw Taco in the game a few times and he was making plays even in the run game. That's a good thing for sure.

Actually, would be nice to see Highsmith make some plays in the fourth, considering teams have been chipping, double, and even triple teaming Watt in the fourth. Even look at the forced fumble he has against Seattle, half the line was on him at the start of the play.

Saw it again against the Bears, at one point he was chipped by the TE going out, and then the RB right after that...

You mean like how his fumble recovery vs. the Browns and the strip sack vs. Seattle that clinched wins in consecutive weren’t enough?

His back-to-back TFL vs. Seattle in 4th set up Boswell’s FG, but he only held a carry for 1 yard and had a pass defensed in the quarter, so I can see where that is not enough.

He only batted down a pass on the 2nd to last play of game vs. Chicago, but I guess the 4th qtr sack that led to McClouds fumble & Bears TD canceled that out?

His 4th qtr sack on Josh Allen despite being held on the play probably isn’t a big deal as Buffalo would have been cost 10 yards anyway too?

His 4th qtr sack vs. GB following a TD at least gave us a chance when it forced a punt

Actually, would be nice to see Highsmith make some plays in the fourth, considering teams have been chipping, double, and even triple teaming Watt in the fourth. Even look at the forced fumble he has against Seattle, half the line was on him at the start of the play.

Saw it again against the Bears, at one point he was chipped by the TE going out, and then the RB right after that...
Actually it would be nice if ANYONE made a play(s) in the fourth before games actual are on the line like it seems always to happen.

You mean like how his fumble recovery vs. the Browns and the strip sack vs. Seattle that clinched wins in consecutive weren’t enough?

His back-to-back TFL vs. Seattle in 4th set up Boswell’s FG, but he only held a carry for 1 yard and had a pass defensed in the quarter, so I can see where that is not enough.

He only batted down a pass on the 2nd to last play of game vs. Chicago, but I guess the 4th qtr sack that led to McClouds fumble & Bears TD canceled that out?

His 4th qtr sack on Josh Allen despite being held on the play probably isn’t a big deal as Buffalo would have been cost 10 yards anyway too?

His 4th qtr sack vs. GB following a TD at least gave us a chance when it forced a punt
Yep. Exactly. Like those.....but more.

Last edited:
A lot of sites have Garret and Watt 1 and 2 with very close odds around +300 or +350. A couple have Watt behind Garret, Diggs, and Donald with Watt listed at +900. I'm sure Watt will be getting more love if he continues his play.
No he is a Steeler. They hate giving Steeler players credit for anything.

In retrospect, I hope all those media folks who decided Watt shouldn't get DPOY last year (or the year before) because he had pro-bowl caliber talent on the other side (Dupree) and thus his numbers were skewed by being on a GREAT team can now look at Bud and see that he's "just a guy" without Watt drawing inordinate amounts of attention from the offense.
The worst was Watt's win percentage and numbers increased when Bud got hurt and AD did nothing in December. CROWN HIM...

I did this on the colorcast last night and I was AMAZED at the numbers:

Garrett 12 sacks in 9 games = 1.33 sacks/game
Watt 11.5 sacks in 7 games = 1.64 sacks/game

Watt's sack rate per game is special right now. We have 9 more games so that means if he keeps pace it's 14.8 more sacks. Garrett would project to 10.64, so I'll give them a 1/2 sack each as the remainder:

Final season numbers:
Garrett: 22.5 sacks, tying Strahan
Watt: 26 sacks crushing the record.

Love it Cope.

But I don't even know why there is a comparison - both positions are completely different. Myles only plays RDE and he's above average. TJ is predominantly at LOLB but is moved to ILB as well.

I'm hoping he keeps up the great work so that Bucky Strahan can have something else to hate the Steelers for...

The worst was Watt's win percentage and numbers increased when Bud got hurt and AD did nothing in December. CROWN HIM...

I did this on the colorcast last night and I was AMAZED at the numbers:

Garrett 12 sacks in 9 games = 1.33 sacks/game
Watt 11.5 sacks in 7 games = 1.64 sacks/game

Watt's sack rate per game is special right now. We have 9 more games so that means if he keeps pace it's 14.8 more sacks. Garrett would project to 10.64, so I'll give them a 1/2 sack each as the remainder:

Final season numbers:
Garrett: 22.5 sacks, tying Strahan
Watt: 26 sacks crushing the record.
Garrett got 4.5 in one game vs. Chicago in Justin Fields first start.

Watt has double digit sacks in 4 games. 5 if you count the 1.5. So he doesn’t have a single game distortion on the standard deviation on his numbers like Garrett

How many DPOYs have the Steelers had? The league won't be quick to push for another, regardless of how much he deserves it.

Kind of like the last two seasons........................................ If TJ WATT continues his course then there will be no doubt who should win it but the NFL has "jacked" him in the past and if that happens this time around it would be a travisty with big sound.

Salute the nation