• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin IS a DEFENSIVE coach right?

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
I mean, that is his known specialty when he was hired, right? I mean, you can tell by the team's spending that defense is its 1st priority, I guess (i.e. we have the most expensive defense in the entire league, I think).

OK, that being said the last 5 playoff opponents have scored: 36, 45, 48, 42 and 31 points against our "superior" defense for an average of 40.5 points per game, if my math is right.

And we aren't just talking a few game stretch here, we are talking FIVE games.

And in his "specialty" (what he is best at) he is averaging over 40 points a game. A 5-game stretch. The thing we spend more $ on than any other team in the NFL.

I know that motional media always parrots how great our D is, but is it? Has it been? To give up averaging over 40 PPG in the playoffs just doesn't seem very good.

Any word on outside defensive coaching help coming in next year? We need help beyond Cool Shades, obviously.

Whaaaaaaat???? The Steelers had to hire an armored truck to haul the money they laid out for the defensive genius of one Teryl Austin, whose remarkable success in 2017 with Detroit (27th ranked defense) and 2018 in Cincinnati (32nd ranked defense) made him such a hot commodity!

No wonder the 2023 Steelers defense cracked the top 25! Wait, there are 100 NFL teams, aren't there?

Our new OC will come from a scrap heap just like Austin came from. No top tier OC will be foolish enough to work under Tomlin. Agents know that a job on Tomlins staff will be short and disastrous on a resume.

A stat I saw on twitter or X whatever the hell it's called.
The number of times teams have given up 30+pts in the playoffs since 1970.
Denver has given up 30+ in the playoffs 6 times, they were #1, The Steelers were #2, have given up 30+ in a playoff game 5 times, all in the past 7 seasons.

A stat I saw on twitter or X whatever the hell it's called.
The number of times teams have given up 30+pts in the playoffs since 1970.
Denver has given up 30+ in the playoffs 6 times, they were #1, The Steelers were #2, have given up 30+ in a playoff game 5 times, all in the past 7 seasons.
If Austin is retained it is a major fail. Outside of Tomlin returning which looks locked in.

Our new OC will come from a scrap heap just like Austin came from. No top tier OC will be foolish enough to work under Tomlin. Agents know that a job on Tomlins staff will be short and disastrous on a resume.

DK Sports Daily Shot STEELERS, addressed this some this morning, it’s not what you think.

MY TAKE
We are going to get reputable candidates, it’s the final choice that I worry about due to the Tomlinized choice. If the FO gives Tomlin a wide brush, we will get near the same we’ve been having. If the FO sways we are involved way heavier, then we have a chance at a new dynamic.

Salute the nation

He was a DC for what 1 year? He has been a HC for 17 years. He was a defensive coach al most 2 decades ago

It doesn’t matter what he specializes in, we have what he has shown us he is, for the last 17 years.

I can surmise by that evidence, that he is NOT as good as what he thinks he is when it comes to defense (Offense too)

Salute the nation

The Tomlin Fan Club will tell you that most those opponents’ points were because of Ben’s turnovers.

I mean, that is his known specialty when he was hired, right? I mean, you can tell by the team's spending that defense is its 1st priority, I guess (i.e. we have the most expensive defense in the entire league, I think).

OK, that being said the last 5 playoff opponents have scored: 36, 45, 48, 42 and 31 points against our "superior" defense for an average of 40.5 points per game, if my math is right.

And we aren't just talking a few game stretch here, we are talking FIVE games.

And in his "specialty" (what he is best at) he is averaging over 40 points a game. A 5-game stretch. The thing we spend more $ on than any other team in the NFL.

I know that motional media always parrots how great our D is, but is it? Has it been? To give up averaging over 40 PPG in the playoffs just doesn't seem very good.

Any word on outside defensive coaching help coming in next year? We need help beyond Cool Shades, obviously.
That’s a lotta points for a defensive guy on a team that spends a high percentage of its cap on defense….poor asset allocation

Ya know the Pittsburgh Steelers front office and Art II need to look no further than the Houston Texans.
After the complete mess that one Bill O’Brien created here in Houston it looked very hopeless.
We brought in a new GM Nick Caserio who brought in a great young defensive mind from the Niners to be the HC in DeMeco Ryan’s and Bobby Slowik from the Niners to be the OC.
Yes, coaching matters in the NFL.
Sure, Texans drafted talented CJ Stroud but he’s flourished under these coaches and we all know that Ohio State QBs always, always fail in the NFL until now.
So my friends the right combination of competent GM, HC, DC, OC does matter.

The decision NOT to promote Brian Flores to DC last year and let him walk to Minnesota was and still is a headscratcher.

That move in itself, cemented the arrogance of Coach Tomlin.

Tomlin says there will be change, in his presser, but none of that matters……. Until there actually is.

I most sincerely hope there is viable change and for the better.

Salute the nation

Last edited:
I’m afraid my friends that until the albatross is removed (Tomlin) it will be same ole Steelers.
He’s a control freak that only wants yes men that will bow down to his demands.
His entire staff consists of this and until Art II realizes it, not much will change.
This guy has a very heavy hand in constructing this roster and that needs to change along with coaching hires if Art insists on keeping this guy.

I’m afraid my friends that until the albatross is removed (Tomlin) it will be same ole Steelers.
He’s a control freak that only wants yes men that will bow down to his demands.
His entire staff consists of this and until Art II realizes it, not much will change.
This guy has a very heavy hand in constructing this roster and that needs to change along with coaching hires if Art insists on keeping this guy.
Once again I’ll point out that his best coordinators were the three he didn’t hire, Arians, LeBeau, and Haley.

Once again I’ll point out that his best coordinators were the three he didn’t hire, Arians, LeBeau, and Haley.

I think after this new hire, we will be able to “mostly” add another name to that list. I t5hink the FO will have a heavier hand in the hiring process, this time around.

Salute the nation

his thread is like beating a dead horse. We all know his D sucks and that austin is just another muppet
Yea, beating a dead horse but when you get nothing but info. that is "dead horse" material what are we supposed to discuss? How everything will be different when there are zero indications that it will be? Should we "play pretend" that everything is changing for the better and just pretend? OK, then, let's play pretend!

I think after this new hire, we will be able to “mostly” add another name to that list. I t5hink the FO will have a heavier hand in the hiring process, this time around.
God, dear Lord, I hope so. THAT and that the new hire actually gets a say in how his until is run. After the game, Shades 100% main point was that we lost due to turnovers, that was basically it. He is virtually retarded on that point; he know nothing else in trying to improve the offensive unit. He is 100% compelled to focus on turnovers and nothing else. and that's all we will get moving forward. Not the fact that his play calling comes down to running up the middle every 1st and 2nd down for pitiful yardage leaving us in 3rd and 9. No, that's irrelevant, it only comes down to turnovers. Shades is simply too elemental to get the job done.

This will be his most important hire ever. I think if this doesn’t work and get some playoff wins there won’t be another contract extension. What if he goes say ten years with no playoff wins? That’s like Browns territory and he’s like the 3rd or 4th highest paid coach in the league. Deuce ain’t gonna stand for that, 3 coaches since 1969 be damned.

God, dear Lord, I hope so. THAT and that the new hire actually gets a say in how his until is run. After the game, Shades 100% main point was that we lost due to turnovers, that was basically it. He is virtually retarded on that point; he know nothing else in trying to improve the offensive unit. He is 100% compelled to focus on turnovers and nothing else. and that's all we will get moving forward. Not the fact that his play calling comes down to running up the middle every 1st and 2nd down for pitiful yardage leaving us in 3rd and 9. No, that's irrelevant, it only comes down to turnovers. Shades is simply too elemental to get the job done.

I think the front office cartel, had a very serious talk to him about the offense and who is running the show. I think it was pointed out about the change from regular season to playoff game, ALA opened up last three games to conservative play off. It was a huge difference and that is what lost the game. Hell if the “O” was called similar to the previous three games——- we very well would have beaten the Bills at their house.

Salute the nation

This will be his most important hire ever. I think if this doesn’t work and get some playoff wins there won’t be another contract extension. What if he goes say ten years with no playoff wins? That’s like Browns territory and he’s like the 3rd or 4th highest paid coach in the league. Deuce ain’t gonna stand for that, 3 coaches since 1969 be damned.

Fully agree Ron, I think if there isn’t significant improvement in the next two seasons, we will finally be out of one said Micheal Vincent Tomlin.

Salute the nation

Yea, beating a dead horse but when you get nothing but info. that is "dead horse" material what are we supposed to discuss? How everything will be different when there are zero indications that it will be? Should we "play pretend" that everything is changing for the better and just pretend? OK, then, let's play pretend!
Maybe call for a DC in one of the already existing offseason threads or Tomlin sucks threads