• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Top 10 Steelers D players

I didn’t glue in with comparisons but looking at it , it looks pretty good. Some probably would prefer Rod moved up. But yeah for me it looked pretty solid.

Yeah, Greene #1, but I happened not to take into account about how they were ranked when I posted it.
It's the fact these players are undeniably the top 10.
Can't think of anyone I would take off and replace with.

Ranking would be cool for discussion now that you mentioned it.

It's sad that LC Greenwood being among one the greatest Steelers defensive players isn't in the HOF

Last edited:
Cannot argue with this list. in 10 years wonder where TJ will be.

The next 10 list would be interesting:
Big Snack, Heyward, Lloyd, Farrior, Smith, Keisel, Taylor....Peezy...Fitzpatrick.....????

Might be nitpicking, but I'm not sure I would rate Polamalu or Harrison ahead of Woodson.

I'd also argue that TJ has surpassed Harrison as the greatest edge player in team history.

The next 10 list would be interesting:
Big Snack, Heyward, Lloyd, Farrior, Smith, Keisel, Taylor....Peezy...Fitzpatrick.....????

I'd probably place Carnell Lake ahead of a lot of those guys, with Lloyd and Heyward being the exceptions. No disrespect to any of them, as they were all great players in their own rights.

Kevin Greene is another one that probably needs more consideration than he gets. He only played three seasons with the team, but had such an impact during that time.

Remove TJ and put in Ernie Stautner. Ernie is a 9 time pro-bowler, HoF, and was the FIRST Steeler to have his Jersey officially retired. Ernie would also play Offensive Line when the team got into a pinch. No disrespect to TJ and his incredible play, but he isn't up to Ernie's accolades just yet.

Yeah, Greene #1, but I happened not to take into account about how they were ranked when I posted it.
It's the fact these players are undeniably the top 10.
Can't think of anyone I would take off and replace with.

Ranking would be cool for discussion now that you mentioned it.

It's sad that LC Greenwood being among one the greatest Steelers defensive players isn't in the HOF
It is FN criminal that LC isn't in the HOF.
It's a shame he'll get inducted as a "senior member" (maybe?).

And sadly, it looks like I will have the same rage I have for LC for Hines now.

I'm good with the list, though T.J. needs another year or two of high-level play. Leaving off Ernie Stautner, a man they retired his jersey. That's probably a mistake.

L.C.Greenwood should be in the HOF!

I do like that I'm seeing this a lot more at least on social media. Keeping his name current has to help a little.

Remove TJ and put in Ernie Stautner. Ernie is a 9 time pro-bowler, HoF, and was the FIRST Steeler to have his Jersey officially retired. Ernie would also play Offensive Line when the team got into a pinch. No disrespect to TJ and his incredible play, but he isn't up to Ernie's accolades just yet.
All things being equal factoring in era, size, etc. as they obviously are in these rankings, Stautner absolutely should of been on this list at the expense of a few.

A couple things about him other than his gridiron exploits. He was born in Germany in the 1920, his family migrated (lucky for him) to America 3 years later. He served in the marine corp in WW2 which undoubtedly took away more football accolades.

He missed 6 games in 13 years. Andy Russell was a rookie Stautner's last season, Andy wrote about an incident with Stautner who returned to the defensive huddle with one hand holding the other. Russell took a closer look and notice Stautner's thumb had a compound fracture. The bone was sticking out of the skin but Ernie just asked what the play was. He finished the series, returned to the sideline, taped up his thumb and completed the game. I mean, who the f#"* were these guys from that era.

All things being equal factoring in era, size, etc. as they obviously are in these rankings, Stautner absolutely should of been on this list at the expense of a few.

A couple things about him other than his gridiron exploits. He was born in Germany in the 1920, his family migrated (lucky for him) to America 3 years later. He served in the marine corp in WW2 which undoubtedly took away more football accolades.

He missed 6 games in 13 years. Andy Russell was a rookie Stautner's last season, Andy wrote about an incident with Stautner who returned to the defensive huddle with one hand holding the other. Russell took a closer look and notice Stautner's thumb had a compound fracture. The bone was sticking out of the skin but Ernie just asked what the play was. He finished the series, returned to the sideline, taped up his thumb and completed the game. I mean, who the f#"* were these guys from that era.

Chuck Noll was another stoic man from a German family.

It is FN criminal that LC isn't in the HOF.
It's a shame he'll get inducted as a "senior member" (maybe?).

And sadly, it looks like I will have the same rage I have for LC for Hines now.
Agreed hall of fame. 100%. But not top 10. Know you were not saying that

GREAT insight Post, thanks for all the great ones along the way.

Love reading these old stories over again and again, always bring back great memories.

Thanks KStilley !!!!

Salute they nation

Woodson made the 75th Anniversary All Time Team as an active player. He should be a little higher right there with Mel Blount although it's very tight space in the pantheon.

There's one player on that list without a single playoff win which is one of the biggest historical indictments of the past 7 years for a franchise built on defense and winning and a defensive-minded HC at the helm.

It's very conspicuous.

Woodson made the 75th Anniversary All Time Team as an active player. He should be a little higher right there with Mel Blount although it's very tight space in the pantheon.

There's one player on that list without a single playoff win which is one of the biggest historical indictments of the past 7 years for a franchise built on defense and winning and a defensive-minded HC at the helm.

It's very conspicuous.
Love TJ, but when James wanted a playoff win he simply took the game over and made it happen

Again love TJ, but if he wants to join that club he’s gonna have to take over a playoff game or two and drag Shades, kicking and screaming, to a W to break the streak