• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trade Deadline Targets

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Look, its quite likely that the Steelers stand pat this season. They don’t have huge holes in their roster despite bad play, and really adding more new players to a team with communication problems already may not be ideal…

But the deadline talk will pick up following this weekend since it is on November 1st…

Teams likely Selling:
1 Denver… they already are dismantling the team.. Frank Clark is getting cut today and they have been trading off players for a bit…the positions we most likely would be interested in as upgrades are young guys whom they probably wouldn’t move…

2 NY Giants… this team is injured and falling apart… this season is already over with another loss and their QB is out… They have some high profile UFAs … ( we aren’t getting Barkley) namely a couple DEs we could trade a pick and a player for off that DL in case Heyward has complications coming back unfortunately, like Denver, their CBs are young and not getting moved

Look, its quite likely that the Steelers stand pat this season. They don’t have huge holes in their roster despite bad play, and really adding more new players to a team with communication problems already may not be ideal…

But the deadline talk will pick up following this weekend since it is on November 1st…

Teams likely Selling:
1 Denver… they already are dismantling the team.. Frank Clark is getting cut today and they have been trading off players for a bit…the positions we most likely would be interested in as upgrades are young guys whom they probably wouldn’t move…

2 NY Giants… this team is injured and falling apart… this season is already over with another loss and their QB is out… They have some high profile UFAs … ( we aren’t getting Barkley) namely a couple DEs we could trade a pick and a player for off that DL in case Heyward has complications coming back unfortunately, like Denver, their CBs are young and not getting moved
I was thinking if they don't alter their approach with Canada it might be pointless. But they seem to be winning so far despite him.

So I wouldn't mind a C or CB if an upgrade came available. The thinking with CB is they have three bubble corners with two alternate options. They could use one more to even it up.

There are some interesting guys on Carolina, but I haven’t heard how they are expected to approach the deadline…

There is a ton of speculation that Minnesota will be sellers, and that the Titans might decide to sell the vets off if they lose again

A little bit on Vegas…

Nobody knows what NE is going to do, and Arizona has been mum too… especially if they are trying to tank as believed…

The thing is, this year a lot of wrs and edge guys and TEs might be available.. and we don’t need those… Im not hearing a lot of CBs or maybe a stud C being available…

They had opportunities at stud C’s and blew it off for more “weapons”

until they commit heavily in OL, this team will continue to struggle. Namely center is the target.

OL coach on OC coach need legitimate replacements, this the biggest issue,

Trench workers are key and untill the powers to be understand that, we will continue being low scoring, weak offense

Salute the nation

until they commit heavily in OL, this team will continue to struggle. Namely center is the target.

Trench workers are key and untill the powers to be understand that, we will continue being low scoring, weak offense

Salute the nation
You are correct, but that is not the current thought process. The HC believes that new shinny rims are more import than fixing the blown head gasket. Looking good, broke down on the side of the road, is what Tomlin is about, and the “Window Licker” owner of the team is more than willing to applaud this philosophy, as long as the money continues to roll in.

Team has largely ignored the OL exception only the 2023 draft with Broderick Jones. Chucks stinks and is no more than a backup, Dan Moore stinks and is no more than a backup, Mason Cole really stinks and not sure if he’s even a good backup,
The two guards are decent, not great but you can be affective with them.
And people wonder why Kenny is bailing from the pocket early. This OL and the poor playcalling is retarding Kenny’s progress. Until these things are corrected in the offseason, don’t expect much.

I can't see them buying but perhaps selling.

Chucky, maybe Rudolph, if the interest is there.

I can't see them buying but perhaps selling.

Chucky, maybe Rudolph, if the interest is there.
Here is why I don’t see them moving Rudolph this year barring some ridiculous overpayment…

The two teams most in need of a QB are the jets, who need a starter, and the Browns, who need a backup… both of these teams are talented teams directly competing with the Steelers for a playoff berth… even if the Steelers traded him to a different team, that might reduce the amount of teams shopping for a qb, and lower the prices for the Jets and Browns… I don’t think they will move him barring someone just blowing their socks off… and with guys like Tannehill or Cousins potentially available, that likely won’t happen
there

Now there are rumors Patrick Surtain II is available but the price is way over a first round pick…

If it was just a First, I would totally do it. He is only 23 … Heck if it was a First and a Second , I’d probably do it … he is a pre developed CB… but really I would see if the Broncos would take Friermuth and a second for him… id ratger use tge first on a DE or IOL
I like muth, but tge Steelers really don’t use passcatching TEs, he is going to be pricey too, soon.. and the Broncos could absolutely use a talented young TE… they will probably be using one of these premium picks on one soon anyhow …

We can roll with Mt Washington, Heyward and Rodney…

Salute the nation
While I can agree that C and RT could use upgrades, I feel like the OL is good enough. It just seems to me that the blocking schemes are not aligned with the offensive scheme overall and it’s obviously not working. I feel like the right coaches could get a lot more out of that offensive line.

Plus, having 7-9 guys in the box 80% of the time doesn’t help. Hard for 5-6 guys to block 7-9 players that can easily diagnose This elementary offense. A better offensive scheme fixes a lot of problems IMHO.

unless there's a quality OL available, I don't think the steelers should make any trades. The only trades i'd want are young guys who could develop into quality starters. I could understand if Denver offered up Pat Surtain, but how much can you pay this defense? I don't think they can make that trade.

Why trade for a 1 year stop gap? i don't want to trade draft picks for a band aid that gets the steelers to a wildcard loss.

unless there's a quality OL available, I don't think the steelers should make any trades. The only trades i'd want are young guys who could develop into quality starters. I could understand if Denver offered up Pat Surtain, but how much can you pay this defense? I don't think they can make that trade.

Why trade for a 1 year stop gap? i don't want to trade draft picks for a band aid that gets the steelers to a wildcard loss.

Yeah I’m pretty sure that they will stand pat this year..

There are some interesting guys on Carolina, but I haven’t heard how they are expected to approach the deadline…

There is a ton of speculation that Minnesota will be sellers, and that the Titans might decide to sell the vets off if they lose again

A little bit on Vegas…

Nobody knows what NE is going to do, and Arizona has been mum too… especially if they are trying to tank as believed…

The thing is, this year a lot of wrs and edge guys and TEs might be available.. and we don’t need those… Im not hearing a lot of CBs or maybe a stud C being available…
Wouldn’t mind sniffing around with a guy like Chinn and moving him closer to the LOS

Could see him excelling in a Nickel/Dime backer role

For a late pick I’d consider a guy like him

While I can agree that C and RT could use upgrades, I feel like the OL is good enough. It just seems to me that the blocking schemes are not aligned with the offensive scheme overall and it’s obviously not working. I feel like the right coaches could get a lot more out of that offensive line.

Plus, having 7-9 guys in the box 80% of the time doesn’t help. Hard for 5-6 guys to block 7-9 players that can easily diagnose This elementary offense. A better offensive scheme fixes a lot of problems IMHO.

While there are a ton of players close to the line… its telling that we are a team that sees very few blitzes compared to the rest of the league…
Teams put everyone up front, drop most of them into shallow coverage, and the line can’t handle the four or five guys who do rush

You keep using that word "develop" - I don't think our coaching staff thinks "develop" means what you think it means.

You keep using that word "develop" - I don't think our coaching staff thinks "develop" means what you think it means.
Whatever they think it means they aren't doing an overall good job of it. A whole draft class and not one good enough to start yet? Why do you think they value varsity veterans so much? Then I see two corners playing well that looked like dog **** here. Veteran players coming here and regressing. There is a shadow of incompetent coaches and I didn't even touch on the vanilla offensive scheme and the D that can't shut down the run and struggles in coverage if Batman and Robin can't zoom in on the QB.

You can't convince me that the OC and DC isn't garbage. The coaches hold the talent on this team back from putting them in the best position to succeed. I am not talking .500 football succeeding either.

While there are a ton of players close to the line… its telling that we are a team that sees very few blitzes compared to the rest of the league…
Teams put everyone up front, drop most of them into shallow coverage, and the line can’t handle the four or five guys who do rush
It’s all about respect,isn’t it?
When Ben got injured they implemented quick,fast ,safe passes. Mason threw the odd bomb. Then the Duck.
We gave Tomlin credit at the time for winning with the backups. And well deserved. Then the Defense of the league figured it out. Stack the box,see if the QB can beat you. Nope. No respect.
The O didn’t adapt/change. Before Canada was on the scene I might add.

Flash forward to Ben being back. Our magical 11-0 start. I commented at the time that we had to be the worst 11-0 team in the history of sports. Pure fools gold. I said to my son that I couldn’t believe the opposing D didn’t put all men up.
It was strictly because of Big Ben having commanding well earned respect with his cannon arm. Once they realized his arm was never going to be consistently good that was it. No respect. Stack it up baby. Those 2 yard passes were just so riveting.

Until Kenny can consistently gun some **** with accuracy 15+ yards down the WHOLE field forget it. Opposition doesn’t respect his arm yet. Nor should they,until he proves them wrong. Of course Canada has got to go. No team respects his game calling whatsoever. They will continue to stack up till there’s some respect gained.

For the life of me I just can’t get why we are doing the quick slants to the middle of the field. Our TE’s middle of the field. Our WR’s crossing.....to the middle of the field. Our RB’s slipping out......catching passes .....to the middle of the field. It will open things up to the outside. Just don’t get it.

Bye week rant over.