• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trade Deadline approaching

All these trade speculations for the steelers are getting out of hand. We are getting anyone from Deandre Hopkins, Surtain, Brians Burns (DE) from Carolina, etc etc... We can not afford Surtain, or Burns either financially or draft capital wise. Hopkins could be an outside shot depending on price. Pickens, Johnson, and Hopkins would be quite a WR group.

All these trade speculations for the steelers are getting out of hand. We are getting anyone from Deandre Hopkins, Surtain, Brians Burns (DE) from Carolina, etc etc... We can not afford Surtain, or Burns either financially or draft capital wise. Hopkins could be an outside shot depending on price. Pickens, Johnson, and Hopkins would be quite a WR group.
Canada wouldn't have a clue how to use him.

I think out of all the rumors Surtain is the only one that makes sense. Broncos are selling and Surtain is in the same draft class as Najee. I believe if the Steelers had the choice they would 5th year option Surtain over Najee. We are weak at CB and getting a 23 year old Surtain we can pay prorated 900k this year and 4 million next year then probably have to pay him 18million for 2025. Now what does the Broncos want for him? I read an MSN article stating they feel a 2nd would pry him loose. If that was the case I feel multiple teams would be offering that. I feel you have to give up a 1st. Steelers are 4-2 so that hurts them a little but the perceived conception the Steelers are not a playoff team. So we probably can get ahead of some other 4-2 or 3-3 teams. But I feel we have to sweeten the pot a little. I wouldn't want to kick in a day two pick but I would be fine with a day three pick.

I couple high profile Steelers bloggers throw out every big name on the market going to the steelers and the media parrots them… its idiotic… it often has no logical basis at all..

they’ll often be like, “well the raiders suck, Max Crosby is a big name on their team… let me post that the Steelers are interested in Max Crosby..”

The Steelers have two outstanding edge rushers on the team already.
Crosby is younger, freshly signed as well, and will cost 20 millions dollars vs tge cap next season.. the Raiders would be asking for the moon and he’d destroy our cap… for a player that we did not really need…

Or like the Aaron Donald rumors… we could not fit him in our cap structure…

Its just bad reporting

I think out of all the rumors Surtain is the only one that makes sense. Broncos are selling and Surtain is in the same draft class as Najee. I believe if the Steelers had the choice they would 5th year option Surtain over Najee. We are weak at CB and getting a 23 year old Surtain we can pay prorated 900k this year and 4 million next year then probably have to pay him 18million for 2025. Now what does the Broncos want for him? I read an MSN article stating they feel a 2nd would pry him loose. If that was the case I feel multiple teams would be offering that. I feel you have to give up a 1st. Steelers are 4-2 so that hurts them a little but the perceived conception the Steelers are not a playoff team. So we probably can get ahead of some other 4-2 or 3-3 teams. But I feel we have to sweeten the pot a little. I wouldn't want to kick in a day two pick but I would be fine with a day three pick.

Whatever article you read, it is wrong… Surtain might be available but only as a rebuilding asset magnet. They aren’t looking to get rid of him. Everything Ive seen from the rumor mill says that teams calling have been rebuffed unless they are willing to pony up “multiple firsts plus”.

The guy is stupid young and a top 3 cb in the league already…. They could easily keep him for the rebuild… he is only 23…
And they absolutely don’t need to trade him by the deadline either… they could easily trade him at the draft instead… he isn’t a ufa or anything

Whatever article you read, it is wrong… Surtain might be available but only as a rebuilding asset magnet. They aren’t looking to get rid of him. Everything Ive seen from the rumor mill says that teams calling have been rebuffed unless they are willing to pony up “multiple firsts plus”.

The guy is stupid young and a top 3 cb in the league already…. They could easily keep him for the rebuild… he is only 23…
And they absolutely don’t need to trade him by the deadline either… they could easily trade him at the draft instead… he isn’t a ufa or anything
Like I said, I think if they only wanted a second they would have multiple offers. If they are asking for multiple first round picks then I think they wouldn't have many if any offers to look at. If he is off limits then I wouldn't even bother on the conversation. He is a stud player and young but after a few losing seasons it might end up being hard to resign him as a losing organization has to overpay. And when his rookie contract is up and the new team has to pony up the new contract the player again losing value. I personally wouldn't give up a high pick on a player I had to pay top dollar for on top of everything.

Wallace has 2 INTs. Average, yes, but not tuuurrribble...
He seems to always be in the wrong place & wrong time then. When big chunk plays happen, he's usually at the scene of the crime....

Hit n Run, armed assault, & not to mention the numerous indecent exposure charges

Dalvin Cook. If we could get Dalvin Cook for a conditional 2025 7th and get the jets to eat half of the remaining salary of his I would do it. Cost 1.8m for the season and if he started banging off big runs then we would know for certain if the problem is the line or Najee.

I couple high profile Steelers bloggers throw out every big name on the market going to the steelers and the media parrots them… its idiotic… it often has no logical basis at all..

they’ll often be like, “well the raiders suck, Max Crosby is a big name on their team… let me post that the Steelers are interested in Max Crosby..”

The Steelers have two outstanding edge rushers on the team already.
Crosby is younger, freshly signed as well, and will cost 20 millions dollars vs tge cap next season.. the Raiders would be asking for the moon and he’d destroy our cap… for a player that we did not really need…

Or like the Aaron Donald rumors… we could not fit him in our cap structure…

Its just bad reporting

Nail head meet hammer.

Salute the nation

Let me help, October 31, 2023, 4:01 PM ET headline: Steelers hold fast with their current roster at the trade deadline.

EXACTLY

Salute the nation

Dalvin Cook. If we could get Dalvin Cook for a conditional 2025 7th and get the jets to eat half of the remaining salary of his I would do it. Cost 1.8m for the season and if he started banging off big runs then we would know for certain if the problem is the line or Najee.

Sure it is just a coincidence that someone else mentions cook then you come up with the idea shortly after.

If you are going to steal someone's idea you should at least give them credit for it.

I feel like you're just flinging **** at the walls now. Or maybe just trolling. I feel really confident in saying that the Steelers, if they were looking for any position before the trade deadline, won't be looking for a RB. And, I feel really confident that you are aware of this also.
Now the trolling part comes in when you mention getting Cook for a conditional 7th two years from now AND having the Jets eat half of his salary. smh

I feel like you're just flinging **** at the walls now. Or maybe just trolling. I feel really confident in saying that the Steelers, if they were looking for any position before the trade deadline, won't be looking for a RB. And, I feel really confident that you are aware of this also.
Now the trolling part comes in when you mention getting Cook for a conditional 7th two years from now AND having the Jets eat half of his salary. smh
Guy has some really wacky opinions not sure he is trolling.

A conditional 7th round pick in 2025. If the Jets are just trying to move on why wouldn’t we consider bringing in a 28 yo RB with over 6k yards at 4.6ypc? Oh, because Harris been tearing it up out there. It would be really easy to see if the problem is the line or the back by putting a multiple thousand yard season back behind the line. If he isn’t better then he doesn’t get enough to have us give up anything. If he crushes it then we know what the problem is.

A conditional 7th round pick in 2025. If the Jets are just trying to move on why wouldn’t we consider bringing in a 28 yo RB with over 6k yards at 4.6ypc? Oh, because Harris been tearing it up out there. It would be really easy to see if the problem is the line or the back by putting a multiple thousand yard season back behind the line. If he isn’t better then he doesn’t get enough to have us give up anything. If he crushes it then we know what the problem is.
The problem with your thinking is that you are looking at it as a fan. Just because we debate what we think is the problem, doesn't mean ... well, anything. We're not privy to any of the inside thinking, coaching, etc. that goes on. However, the coaches (should) have a pretty good idea where the problem with the running game is by now. And, they've indicated it's both the line and Najee/Warren at different times. "Popcorning" So, by their reasoning, the Steelers don't need, and should not want, another RB. They say they need to fix the issues at hand .. i.e. the "popcorning".
So, I sincerely doubt that they will/would trade for a RB just to prove to themselves what they already know. Or, to satisfy fans' desire to "see if the line or the back" is the problem. (it's both).
smh

If it takes bringing in a player just to find out if it’s the line or the original RB, then this coaching staff is even more ****-ed than we are giving them credit for.

Pass on your idea.

Salute the nation

Rumors are the Vikings, Broncos, Panthers and Colts may be having some fire sales.

Wildest trade I can imagine would be for us to send DJ and Chuks to the Vikings for Jefferson. Pipe dream, but the money works out.

edit - i know full damn well we won't be players at the trade deadline. but this would be a super nice get for us - and beneficial for the Vikings, too.
jefferson?? As in, "justin" jefferson??

Lol!!!

The problem with your thinking is that you are looking at it as a fan. Just because we debate what we think is the problem, doesn't mean ... well, anything. We're not privy to any of the inside thinking, coaching, etc. that goes on. However, the coaches (should) have a pretty good idea where the problem with the running game is by now. And, they've indicated it's both the line and Najee/Warren at different times. "Popcorning" So, by their reasoning, the Steelers don't need, and should not want, another RB. They say they need to fix the issues at hand .. i.e. the "popcorning".
So, I sincerely doubt that they will/would trade for a RB just to prove to themselves what they already know. Or, to satisfy fans' desire to "see if the line or the back" is the problem. (it's both).
smh
Well, I can show you a handful of runs vs the Rams where an obvious hole to the A gap was missed by Najee who proceeded to get tackled for a loss or no gain. I guess I need to be a coach to see that though. I do see us continuing to pound out Najee who has below average vision and not enough speed to get to the C or D gaps. Then I see Dalvin Cook who last year banged off runs of 40, 53, and 81. To compare Najee Harris's career long is 37.

But hey man. You are right. As a fan like yourself bringing in a pro bowl running back for almost no risk for marginal compensation is just asinine. ;)

The reason they won’t be bringing in Cook or any other top end back, is that in the NFL you have your starter at RB and your backup who are both true HB types, but your 3rd RB is primarily a ST guy.

I don’t think Harris is a ST guy… a guy like cook or Henry isn’t playing ST’s, they aren’t demoting Warren… they aren’t inactivating Harris (which is low key what people are asking for when they suggest a RB trade), and they certainly aren’t keeping 4 rbs active…

Well, I can show you a handful of runs vs the Rams where an obvious hole to the A gap was missed by Najee who proceeded to get tackled for a loss or no gain. I guess I need to be a coach to see that though. I do see us continuing to pound out Najee who has below average vision and not enough speed to get to the C or D gaps. Then I see Dalvin Cook who last year banged off runs of 40, 53, and 81. To compare Najee Harris's career long is 37.

But hey man. You are right. As a fan like yourself bringing in a pro bowl running back for almost no risk for marginal compensation is just asinine. ;)
I agree

You are assinine.

I knew eventually there would be something we would agree on..

😁

The reason they won’t be bringing in Cook or any other top end back, is that in the NFL you have your starter at RB and your backup who are both true HB types, but your 3rd RB is primarily a ST guy.

I don’t think Harris is a ST guy… a guy like cook or Henry isn’t playing ST’s, they aren’t demoting Warren… they aren’t inactivating Harris (which is low key what people are asking for when they suggest a RB trade), and they certainly aren’t keeping 4 rbs active…
So to sum it up it just doesn't make sense that they would. Especially when it isn't even near the closest team need. They would need a CB, DE, C, and WR before bringing in a third string RB.

As I said the guy has odd ball viewpoints.

The has been some noise on the web about trading Harris. I hope they are true.