• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trade Dropsie? Interesting, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

by Stuart Miller-Davis, Staff Writer
Feb 18, 2024 • 6:56 pm
Pittsburgh Steelers' wide receiver Diontae Johnson has had a wild ride in six seasons in the NFL. The organization selected him in the third round of the 2019 NFL Draft with a pick they'd acquired from the then-Oakland Raiders for Antonio Brown. He spent the majority of his rookie season catching balls from Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges. He earned an AP All-Pro Second-Team honor for his work as a punt returner in 2019. He's been touted for his route-running ability, but some of his other behavior has Brian Batko wondering if Johnson will be on a new team in 2024.

Batko, who covers the team for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, speculated on a recent episode of The North Shore Drive Podcast that Johnson could be a potential trade candidate in the 2024 offseason. Johnson had been the team's leading receiver in three consecutive seasons from 2020 to 2022. Johnson missed four games with a hamstring injury in the 2023 campaign which allowed George Pickens to take over. The Toledo product still finished second on the squad with a modest 717 receiving yards on 51 receptions in 13 games.

Johnson is etnering the final year of a two-year contract extension he signed in August of 2022. Johnson struggled in the 2020 season with consistency, particularly when it came to catching the football. He had 13 dropped passes, according to Pro Football Reference, which led the league. He responded with his first 1000-plus-yard receiving season in 2022 and cut his drops down to five while earning his first nomination to the Pro Bowl.

The 2023 season was a bit of a roller coaster for Johnson. He suffered a hamstring injury in Pittsburgh's season opener against the San Francisco 49ers and didn't return to action until after the team's bye week against the Los Angeles Rams. In his third game back from injury against the Tennessee Titans, he snapped his infamous touchdown drought that stretched back to Week 17 of the 2021 season. Before Kenny Pickett connected with him for a three-yard score with four minutes left to play, he had last caught the game-opening score from Ben Roethlisberger in a game against the Cleveland Browns the Steelers won to secure a playoff berth.

The friction between Johnson and the organization likely comes from his actions during games in Week 11 and 12 against the Browns and Cincinnati Bengals. He had a clear dispute with Mike Tomlin during the game against the Browns, and after the contest got into a spirited argument with star safety Minkah Fitzpatrick that had to be broken up by teammates.

In Week 12, running back Jaylen Warren coughed up a ball that was recovered by Cincinnati. Johnson appeared to watch as a spectator. He initially defended himself and later issued an apology to his teammates.

Steelers Face Tough Questions On What To Do At Receiver​

It's certainly understandable to want to get some compensation for Johnson before he potentially hits the free agency market in 2025, but as Batko explained it would be taking an important player out of the offense when the organization is looking for a substantial step forward with new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith.

Pittsburgh has Pickens and speedster Calvin Austin III under contract for the 2024 season. Allen Robinson II remains on the roster, but is likely to be cut. Pittsburgh struggled to get production out of receivers not named Pickens or Johnson in 2023 and will likely be looking at free agency and the draft to address that pressing need.

Batko theorized the team could find a destination for Johnson sooner rather than later so, they could look to fill his spot in free agency or the draft. Even if he stays with the team, a receiver is likely to be a position the team targets in the draft with Johnson's uncertain future.

There will be problems if the Steelers re-sign Rudolph and Pickett starts. There'll also be problems if Pickett starts and produces as he has through his first two seasons. I can see the rationale behind a trade, I just don't think they will and then you question who replaces Johnson?

There will be problems if the Steelers re-sign Rudolph and Pickett starts. There'll also be problems if Pickett starts and produces as he has through his first two seasons. I can see the rationale behind a trade, I just don't think they will and then you question who replaces Johnson?
I do see a potential problem. Seems to be there is a possibility that a few players don't want Pickett behind center. This in house problem IF it is a problem or hints at being a problem needs to be solved soon than later. Again if there is any substance to it. The thought behind a trade is ship out if someone is causing issues. I am not 100 percent sure that Johnson even fits what the new OC wants out of his WRs. (blocking efforts)

Regardless I hope they attack this QB situation quickly. And make sure everyone is on the same page. The new WR coach is said to be no nonsense so that should help. But yeah they need to solve their issues or attempt to quickly.

by Stuart Miller-Davis, Staff Writer
Feb 18, 2024 • 6:56 pm
Pittsburgh Steelers' wide receiver Diontae Johnson has had a wild ride in six seasons in the NFL. The organization selected him in the third round of the 2019 NFL Draft with a pick they'd acquired from the then-Oakland Raiders for Antonio Brown. He spent the majority of his rookie season catching balls from Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges. He earned an AP All-Pro Second-Team honor for his work as a punt returner in 2019. He's been touted for his route-running ability, but some of his other behavior has Brian Batko wondering if Johnson will be on a new team in 2024.

Batko, who covers the team for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, speculated on a recent episode of The North Shore Drive Podcast that Johnson could be a potential trade candidate in the 2024 offseason. Johnson had been the team's leading receiver in three consecutive seasons from 2020 to 2022. Johnson missed four games with a hamstring injury in the 2023 campaign which allowed George Pickens to take over. The Toledo product still finished second on the squad with a modest 717 receiving yards on 51 receptions in 13 games.

Johnson is etnering the final year of a two-year contract extension he signed in August of 2022. Johnson struggled in the 2020 season with consistency, particularly when it came to catching the football. He had 13 dropped passes, according to Pro Football Reference, which led the league. He responded with his first 1000-plus-yard receiving season in 2022 and cut his drops down to five while earning his first nomination to the Pro Bowl.

The 2023 season was a bit of a roller coaster for Johnson. He suffered a hamstring injury in Pittsburgh's season opener against the San Francisco 49ers and didn't return to action until after the team's bye week against the Los Angeles Rams. In his third game back from injury against the Tennessee Titans, he snapped his infamous touchdown drought that stretched back to Week 17 of the 2021 season. Before Kenny Pickett connected with him for a three-yard score with four minutes left to play, he had last caught the game-opening score from Ben Roethlisberger in a game against the Cleveland Browns the Steelers won to secure a playoff berth.

The friction between Johnson and the organization likely comes from his actions during games in Week 11 and 12 against the Browns and Cincinnati Bengals. He had a clear dispute with Mike Tomlin during the game against the Browns, and after the contest got into a spirited argument with star safety Minkah Fitzpatrick that had to be broken up by teammates.

In Week 12, running back Jaylen Warren coughed up a ball that was recovered by Cincinnati. Johnson appeared to watch as a spectator. He initially defended himself and later issued an apology to his teammates.

Steelers Face Tough Questions On What To Do At Receiver​

It's certainly understandable to want to get some compensation for Johnson before he potentially hits the free agency market in 2025, but as Batko explained it would be taking an important player out of the offense when the organization is looking for a substantial step forward with new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith.

Pittsburgh has Pickens and speedster Calvin Austin III under contract for the 2024 season. Allen Robinson II remains on the roster, but is likely to be cut. Pittsburgh struggled to get production out of receivers not named Pickens or Johnson in 2023 and will likely be looking at free agency and the draft to address that pressing need.

Batko theorized the team could find a destination for Johnson sooner rather than later so, they could look to fill his spot in free agency or the draft. Even if he stays with the team, a receiver is likely to be a position the team targets in the draft with Johnson's uncertain future.

Nice post Supe, That home page STEELERNATION.COM is crankiN !!!!! Great article and thanks to original Author.

There is going to be contention if both QBs are retained. I've said that I don't think Rudolf will return but also realize how deep into the players and FO he is. Everyone has nothing but good things to say about him, except one..... HCMVLT. Tomlin couldn't even recognize Mason as the starter.

This culture has arisen by Tomlin himself and I don't see it going anywhere soon, either the culture or tomlin.

Salute the nation

IMO, a guy like Dropsie would push the Chiefs over the top offensively. Yes, he drops balls, but he also runs very good routes. Something the Chiefs would be enamored with - especially since they don't have a need to block for the RBs, nor do they have a solid #1 WR (though Rice could be).

Thing is, if we let Dropsie walk after next season, he'd likely return a 3rd round comp pick. Regardless of how WE feel on this board, the guy will command a damn good pay day. His stats, his agent can argue, are completely tarnished by our offensive struggles.

If Khan could get the Chiefs to come off their 3rd round pick (95), I hope he makes that trade. Trading Dropsie would "save" us $10 mil per spotrac. Then, I'd go out and sign Calvin Ridley. He's 29, and shouldnt command a large salary. Though if I wanted to really hit a home run, I'd go for Tee Higgins or Gabe Davis. Interestingly, Donovan Peoples-Jones is also a UFA, and is the same age as Davis/Higgins. So if I could get one of those 4, I'd consider that a lateral move and cost-effective.

Which could even allow me to go after Connor Williams in Miami, since the Fish are cap strapped.

These moves would give us more flexibility in the draft.

I don't think he has a market. But if you dump him and save 10m and use the 10 m to sign Tyler Boyd you are making a trade. But I don't think Boyd is premium wr so you need to take someone in draft.

Personally, I would have traded him a couple years ago because you couldn’t count on him. Now with all the “extras” it would be an even easier decision.

I like Diontae. I would still trade him (not to the Chiefs unless what they were offering was amazing). Assuming our new OC follows his historical usage, not going to see a lot of three receiver sets. If we are going to move on from (or lose next year) Diontae, time to get that value.

Also, Nico Collins is someone I would have my eye on. Nice play in the slot, extremely willing blocker etc. He has the right profile for the 'Burgh.

Reactions: xjx
If Pickett produces like he has thru the first 2 seasons then we KNOW it is time to move on from him....or our new OC sucks. :oops: Pick and choose your choice carefully....

Tgey are now saying Its a super deep wr draft...
If Pickett produces like he has thru the first 2 seasons then we KNOW it is time to move on from him....or our new OC sucks. :oops: Pick and choose your choice carefully....
If Pickett hasnt made any headway then you have to draft another QB High next year... That guy either beats Pickett out or pushes him into becoming better.. and someone else gets him in free agency the next season because we will not have picked up his option. Its the Drew Brees and Phillips River scenerio...

The important thing is to patch the holes around the team so if we do have to go in a new direction, the same issues arent recreated.

Tgey are now saying Its a super deep wr draft...
If Pickett hasnt made any headway then you have to draft another QB High next year... That guy either beats Pickett out or pushes him into becoming better.. and someone else gets him in free agency the next season because we will not have picked up his option. Its the Drew Brees and Phillips River scenerio...

The important thing is to patch the holes around the team so if we do have to go in a new direction, the same issues arent recreated.
Next year's QB class looks bad.

Its college.. you never know really... plus there really is no correlation between college success or mediocrity and nfl success... thats why so many teams take a shot on any QB with half a hope in the first round... and why the majority of first round guys bust..

Its a total crapshoot

All this prognosticating is hilarious.

Trade him. Get what you can. We need better production at wr. Replacing his production may cost. But the favoritism that Tomlin uses is internally destructive. Many will just go through the motions, get paid, go home. It's Tomlin.

Its college.. you never know really... plus there really is no correlation between college success or mediocrity and nfl success... that's why so many teams take a shot on any QB with half a hope in the first round... and why the majority of first round guys bust..

Its a total crapshoot
Somewhat of a crapshoot. But there is also warning signs and things that make some QBs have a higher floor. The thing is teams take on those extra question mark players because of high demand. So many QB needy teams and few options so yeah there will be a lot of reaches for lack of high end prospects. Which will in return result in higher amount of busts.

You can also look at each class and one might have a lot more questions entering the draft than the other. So sure it is a crap shoot somewhat. But there will be some drafts where it is a little safer to go to the well than others.

I’d have to agree with that, will Beck be the best of next year’s class?

I’d say they have to add a vet and likely a day 3 QB to the room This year as this QB class is fairly deep. There is absolutely no guarantee a day 3 pick pans out but there is also no guarantee a day 3 pick couldn’t come in and steal KP’s lunch.

Keep firing shots til ya hit one

Somewhat of a crapshoot. But there is also warning signs and things that make some QBs have a higher floor. The thing is teams take on those extra question mark players because of high demand. So many QB needy teams and few options so yeah there will be a lot of reaches for lack of high end prospects. Which will in return result in higher amount of busts.

You can also look at each class and one might have a lot more questions entering the draft than the other. So sure it is a crap shoot somewhat. But there will be some drafts where it is a little safer to go to the well than others.
Wasn’t Kenny’s big selling point coming out that he was ready after 5 years of college, allegedly a “high floor” guy

Imo I want an early round QB with a high ceiling over a high floor whenever we end up taking our next shot. If said dude busts he busts but can’t stand a first round pick that is just a “high floor” guy. Ideally a high floor and ceiling, but we rarely pick that early AND have the Stains passing by and dropping a guy like that in our laps.

Until we take that next shot at an early QB we may as well be taking a long shot at a QB late every dang year as it is a position required to compete in today’s NFL

A snapshot of how he really is. It shows in your work. Which is half assed

When coaching doesn’t hold players to detail or accountability, you get laziness / complacency.

It’s easily seen that practices aren’t demanding enough, to much “free” time. All teams deal with the CBA, but coaching is also a part of accountability and I see less here than several other team’s hustle.

Salute the nation

Trade him for 2 late picks? We need more picks and the stillers are good at finding receivers late.

Wasn’t Kenny’s big selling point coming out that he was ready after 5 years of college, allegedly a “high floor” guy

Imo I want an early round QB with a high ceiling over a high floor whenever we end up taking our next shot. If said dude busts he busts but can’t stand a first round pick that is just a “high floor” guy. Ideally a high floor and ceiling, but we rarely pick that early AND have the Stains passing by and dropping a guy like that in our laps.

Until we take that next shot at an early QB we may as well be taking a long shot at a QB late every dang year as it is a position required to compete in today’s NFL. His selling points was pro ready and productive last year.
Kenny had a decent amount of question marks. Extra year of college to get one good year of production, happy feet -leaving the pocket too early, hands,

Not sure what they considered his floor. But yeah there was known questions.

Yeah you like those high ceiling guys. I like to see some arm strength combined with accuracy and low INT rate. Also to see how they performed against top competition.

That crop of QBs in his draft seemed to just have plenty of questions. But you know need met chance you have to bite the bullet on someone when there is a high need.