• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trades of Quarterbacks Could Open Up Kenny Pickett To Pittsburgh

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
In the NFL there is always a chase for quarterbacks, but Pittsburgh Steelers fans haven’t had to pay attention for nearly two decades. Imagine, the last time the Steelers were in the market for a quarterback, social media wasn’t a thing. Everyone was worrying about their top friends, and what music they had playing on their MySpace accounts.

The NFL has been a mad house so far this week, from veteran releases, to mammoth new contracts, and of course BIG TIME trades. First it was the decision from Aaron Rodgers that he was staying in Green Bay, and then the trickle down from that resulted in Russell Wilson heading to Denver. The Colts decided to ship Carson Wentz to Washington one season after acquiring him, and the Chargers decided they needed to bulk up their pass rush to defend all of these AFC West quarterbacks so they traded for Khalil Mack.

Now normally this wouldn’t affect the Steelers much. Usually as a Steelers fan you’d be pulling for other teams to reach for quarterbacks in the first round so that other talented positions would slip down the board to Pittsburgh. But now as Steelers fans we need to be hoping for teams ahead of the Steelers to get their guys in free agency or via trade.

With none of the quarterbacks being considered can’t miss prospects, the likelihood of one going super early isn’t good. The first potential spot could be the New York Giants at #7. They also hold the #5 selection, but if they went quarterback it would be with this pick. The Giants have Daniel Jones who they selected in the first round only a few seasons ago, but his seat is getting hotter by the day. Rumors claim that the Giants are more interested in bringing in a veteran like Mitchell Trubisky to compete rather than another rookie.

I should note that the Carolina Panthers are sandwiched between the Giants two picks at #6, and owner David Tepper reportedly loves Kenny Pickett. So the wild card could lie in the Panthers, but taking him at #6 would be a high reach. But with such a underwhelming class maybe they do reach.

At #9 is the Seahawks after receiving the pick from Denver in the Wilson trade. At the moment the Seahawks need a quarterback, and Malik Willis could be the guy here. He has a similar skill set to Wilson, and Pete Carroll knows how to use a quarterback that can move with a strong arm. Now this could all change very quickly if they acquire a quarterback like Jimmy Garoppolo, or any one else in the coming weeks.

Washington is at pick #11, and could still be in the market for a rookie quarterback even though they acquired Wentz. Though with the loss of their third round draft pick, selecting a quarterback this early and ignoring other needs doesn’t seem likely. Minnesota is behind Washington at #12 and they could be sniffing around the quarterback market with Kirk Cousin’s likely gone after 2022. But waiting until next years crop of quarterbacks come out is probably in their best interest.

From there you fall the entire way down to #18 with the Saints. Now the Saints could make an attempt to re-sign Jameis Winston, who they reportedly have interest in keeping, or they could choose to stick with Tysom Hill. Hill had his struggles down the stretch for the Saints last season, but they gave him a quarterback worthy contract last season. At this point Willis, and Pickett should still be on the board, and even if the Saint’s decide to grab one it would leave one still there for the Steelers. By all accounts most experts consider Willis to be the better prospect, so lets say the Saint’s grab Willis.

The Eagles are the only team left between the Steelers and their 20th pick, and they have Jalen Hurts. And he needs plenty of weapons because they have none at the wide receiver position.

Now we don’t know what the Steelers are going to do ahead of the Draft at this point. Are they really in on Deshaun Watson? We should find out soon after his Grad Jury hearing today. Then there are the Jameis Winston rumors, Mitchell Trubisky rumors, Garoppolo rumors, and it goes on. (You can click any of those to read those rumors).

But if they are sitting there with Pickett on the board at #20, I don’t believe the Steelers will pass. He’s a hometown kid, and no one knows more about him than the team that shares a facility with him. The Steelers attendance has fallen in recent years, and don’t think that’s fallen on deaf ears in the Steelers organization. Pickett would put some butts in seats. But can he play? Are his hands too small?

The Steelers path to the hometown kid doesn’t seem very far fetched at this point, and it will only get more clear in the next couple of weeks.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Nah he will go to New orleans or Carolina… the giants still have low key rumors tying them to him as well, in which case our second ronder should immediately go to get Daniel Jones….who has all the earmarks of a guy who can develop into a franchise guy with the right coaching

Nah he will go to New orleans or Carolina… the giants still have low key rumors tying them to him as well, in which case our second ronder should immediately go to get Daniel Jones….who has all the earmarks of a guy who can develop into a franchise guy with the right coaching
Ahh the right coaching. Don't think we are that team then. There is nothing about this coaching staff that makes me think developing someone into a franchise player is even a possibility. I could be wrong but name me any player Tomlin and his staff have done this with? The Franchise players this team has were all players that were almost a sure thing when drafted or that we traded for or signed. Hard to have "development" faith in a staff that thinks any players failure or teams failure is lack of execution and nothing on the coaching staff.

Ahh the right coaching. Don't think we are that team then. There is nothing about this coaching staff that makes me think developing someone into a franchise player is even a possibility. I could be wrong but name me any player Tomlin and his staff have done this with? The Franchise players this team has were all players that were almost a sure thing when drafted or that we traded for or signed. Hard to have "development" faith in a staff that thinks any players failure or teams failure is lack of execution and nothing on the coaching staff.
Heyward was no "sure" thing. AB was no "sure" thing. Believe it or not, Watt was not considered a "Sure" thing. There's three for ya.

If he is the best player available, then so be it.

There are still a bunch of teams picking ahead of us that need a QB...

Heyward was no "sure" thing. AB was no "sure" thing. Believe it or not, Watt was not considered a "Sure" thing. There's three for ya.
Three players with some of the best work ethics in pro sports. I can't argue 100% that it had nothing to do with the coaching or how much it had to but some people are just destined to be great cause of their natural born skil, work ethic and desire to succeed. Maybe you are correct and it has everything to do with the coaches, however I would prefer to hear a few more examples before i start feeling better about this coaching staff developing anyone. 3 examples out of how many players that Tomlin has been responsible for in how many years? just don't have the warm fuzzy feeling about this.

Three players with some of the best work ethics in pro sports. I can't argue 100% that it had nothing to do with the coaching or how much it had to but some people are just destined to be great cause of their natural born skil, work ethic and desire to succeed. Maybe you are correct and it has everything to do with the coaches, however I would prefer to hear a few more examples before i start feeling better about this coaching staff developing anyone. 3 examples out of how many players that Tomlin has been responsible for in how many years? just don't have the warm fuzzy feeling about this.
Desire/work ethic will always be a key part of the process. You can't make Martavious work as hard during his off time as AB did. Also, you're weighing the equation decidedly against ANY group of coaches when you limit the development to "franchise" players. Bud Dupree wasn't a "franchise" player, but he developed into a highly sought-after FA OLB under this regime. As did Feiler at Guard. Ramon Foster was developed from a UDFA Rookie to a key part of one of the best OL in the NFL while he was a Steeler. DeCastro was probably a "can't miss" guy, but, we've seen other teams screw those types up. Villanueva, Shazier, Williams, Tuitt, Sanders, Gilbert, Hilton, Bell, Hargrave ... I'm probably missing some.

They've had their misses too. But, you paint doom and gloom as if this franchise has not developed any players at all during Tomlin's time here; and that's just not true. When presented with a list of players that have developed here, then there's an excuse as to why they developed that has nothing to do with coaching. Fact is, all those players developed into good, serviceable NFL players under Tomlin's coaching staffs. No team is going to be completely made up of "Franchise" players and even those players drafted as that type don't all pan out (here or anywhere).

Desire/work ethic will always be a key part of the process. You can't make Martavious work as hard during his off time as AB did. Also, you're weighing the equation decidedly against ANY group of coaches when you limit the development to "franchise" players. Bud Dupree wasn't a "franchise" player, but he developed into a highly sought-after FA OLB under this regime. As did Feiler at Guard. Ramon Foster was developed from a UDFA Rookie to a key part of one of the best OL in the NFL while he was a Steeler. DeCastro was probably a "can't miss" guy, but, we've seen other teams screw those types up. Villanueva, Shazier, Williams, Tuitt, Sanders, Gilbert, Hilton, Bell, Hargrave ... I'm probably missing some.

They've had their misses too. But, you paint doom and gloom as if this franchise has not developed any players at all during Tomlin's time here; and that's just not true. When presented with a list of players that have developed here, then there's an excuse as to why they developed that has nothing to do with coaching. Fact is, all those players developed into good, serviceable NFL players under Tomlin's coaching staffs. No team is going to be completely made up of "Franchise" players and even those players drafted as that type don't all pan out (here or anywhere).
Nah not doom and gloom. YOu presented me 3 players that i believe would have developed into amazing players probably anywhere they went. That's my honest thought on those 3 guys. Hell i don't think Tomlin or the coaches had anything to do with AB developing other than placating to his ego and prima donna tendencies. I also do not think Tomlin is a good coach at all. I think he is the master at getting by. With the mention of the other players you named that opened my eyes a little. However none of us can speak on if this staff can develop a starting QB cause well we haven't been in a position to do that. I Think QB development is in a league of its own compared to every other position. I am also very curious to see Canada's actual system with a QB (trubisky) that is more suited for what he wants to do. What we saw last year was not his system. Maybe some pieces of it here and there but we were never going to see what his true offense was with Ben at QB. It may be terrible but it will be interesting to watch and see if it translates and works in the NFL. Hopefully the line is better so we can see.

I have agreed that Canada’s system has not truly been implemented. Hopefully it works and they have some sucess.

I have agreed that Canada’s system has not truly been implemented. Hopefully it works and they have some sucess.
I sure hope so. YOu never know with college systems. It could be the greatest thing since sliced bread or could fail in horrific fashion.

His system may not have been fully implemented but he is the one that removed the no-huddle offense (totally asinine move) and he is the one that was calling the plays with no adjustments in the 1st 3 quarters of our games when we couldn't move the ball. Ben is the reason we came back and won games. Several players even stated Ben was drawing things up on the field because Canaduh was clueless. Hopefully, he has more up his sleeve but his 1st year was a complete failure. The Steelers won in spite of him.

His system may not have been fully implemented but he is the one that removed the no-huddle offense (totally asinine move) and he is the one that was calling the plays with no adjustments in the 1st 3 quarters of our games when we couldn't move the ball. Ben is the reason we came back and won games. Several players even stated Ben was drawing things up on the field because Canaduh was clueless. Hopefully, he has more up his sleeve but his 1st year was a complete failure. The Steelers won in spite of him.
well i am willing to cut canada some slack. He may still completely suck but he was brought in to run his offense and his ideas and was then forced into a situation where he had to work with a aging QB who couldn't do much if any of what he is used to doing in his offenses. It was a pretty crappy situation all the way around. Sucked for Ben, Sucked for Canada, sucked for the team.

I forget which Pittsburgh beat reporter that just had a mailbag talking about this. How they hired Canada assuming Ben was retiring and then he decided to come back and it through a monkey wrench into everything. It was a marriage that was never going to work. Ben is a Stubborn as can be Hall of Fame QB that was never going to fit what was needed for Canada's offense. Canada is a new to the NFL OC saddled to a once great but stubborn HOF QB. We all know how passive aggressive Ben can be. Canada was in a no win situation. I cant say for sure but i highly doubt Canada was solely responsible for the No huddle. That argument has been going on for about a decade now with Multiple OC's.

AS i said Canada may very well suck completely. He also may not (we really don't know yet). We need to at least give the guy a chance to do what he was brought here to do (which wasnt to force a completely different style of play on a aging QB who couldn't do what Canada's offense requires. Canada was in a no win situation here. What he was brought here to do was not possible last season and going against Ben wasn't possible either.

Boys! I gotta be honest with ya here. There is no QB imo in this draft worth trading up for. If they trade up it would have to be for the second coming of “The Big Snack” Jordan Davis. I could get behind that move but not for any of these QBs. Just not seeing any of these guys being worth it. I do not think Davis will be there at 20.

Hard pass on any of the QB's now that we have Trubisky. I think the odds him prospering (50/50 at best) are just as strong as any QB in this draft, address other needs in this draft: ILB, DL, CB, WR. Got get the franchise guy next year with a better crop of QB's

Boys! I gotta be honest with ya here. There is no QB imo in this draft worth trading up for. If they trade up it would have to be for the second coming of “The Big Snack” Jordan Davis. I could get behind that move but not for any of these QBs. Just not seeing any of these guys being worth it. I do not think Davis will be there at 20.
I got to say as much as I like Jordan Davis, his teammate Devontae Wyatt is very talented with better pass-rushing skills. I would gladly take either one.