• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trump asks Pittsburgh crowd "How's Joe Paterno?"

I dont know any Pitt fans under the age of 40 that even really care about Penn state's rivalry... its old news

I dont know any Pitt fans under the age of 40 that even really care about Penn state's rivalry... its old news
I remember it just like it was yesterday - I say Jopa you say Terno... Jopaterno sucks!, jopaterno sucks!..

Any candidate saying they are going to bring back industrial jobs, are lying

The idea that Pittsburgh would even want steel mills back smacks of ignorance. It's a tech and health industry city now...I doubt you would even find people who want to work in steel mills there. Or in most places in this country.

The idea that Pittsburgh would even want steel mills back smacks of ignorance. It's a tech and health industry city now...I doubt you would even find people who want to work in steel mills there. Or in most places in this country.

U.S. Steel, still headquartered in Pittsburgh, lost over $1 Billion last year. Mainly because of China dumping their steel into the country. That is what he was referring to, as he has many times before. I go into steel mills all the time. Technology has advanced there too. Just yesterday I was touring USS's new pickle line in Detroit. Everything was run by computers and monitored on flat screens. With so many people unemployed, working in a steel mill today would be welcomed by most. They're not the hellholes that they used to be.

U.S. Steel, still headquartered in Pittsburgh, lost over $1 Billion last year. Mainly because of China dumping their steel into the country. That is what he was referring to, as he has many times before. I go into steel mills all the time. Technology has advanced there too. Just yesterday I was touring USS's new pickle line in Detroit. Everything was run by computers and monitored on flat screens. With so many people unemployed, working in a steel mill today would be welcomed by most. They're not the hellholes that they used to be.

Steel mills in Pittsburgh have largely been demolished. They aren't going to be rebuilt. It's not going to happen. The global steel market is not going to give up buying cheap steel in favor of US made union-wage steel just because Trump says so. Companies that buy steel and make stuff out of it here will be hurt if Trump tries to cut off cheap steel supplies. Ultimately the consumer will pay. We had better start accepting that we live in a global economy and start competing better in areas where we have the competitive advantage.

It's not 1969 anymore. We aren't going to start beating China is making steel or clothing or the little plastic doodads you get for your kids' birthday party. We need a realistic economic growth plan which capitalizes on our strengths, and an abundance of cheap manual labor isn't one of them. Especially if Trump kicks all the immigrants out.

Steel mills in Pittsburgh have largely been demolished. They aren't going to be rebuilt. It's not going to happen. The global steel market is not going to give up buying cheap steel in favor of US made union-wage steel just because Trump says so. Companies that buy steel and make stuff out of it here will be hurt if Trump tries to cut off cheap steel supplies. Ultimately the consumer will pay. We had better start accepting that we live in a global economy and start competing better in areas where we have the competitive advantage.

It's not 1969 anymore. We aren't going to start beating China is making steel or clothing or the little plastic doodads you get for your kids' birthday party. We need a realistic economic growth plan which capitalizes on our strengths, and an abundance of cheap manual labor isn't one of them. Especially if Trump kicks all the immigrants out.

Arguing with me on steel is a losing battle. But of course, you're more than welcome to try. China overproduced steel, far beyond their own requirements. They did not slow down their steel mills production until about 45 days ago. Through the last three quarters of last year, they dumped their surplus into this country below their own cost to produce it. That is what Trump is going to protect us from. We can meet our own steel demands with our domestic production.

The infrastructure and talent pool is largely gone. Also China and other countries produce it too cheaply for us to compete. To level the playing field we would have to 1) tax imports and 2) roll back regulations on domestic production and subsidize it. The govt won't do that but, curiously, they have no problem doing the same thing for solar energy companies.

It's a shame and it's bad for regional college football, IMO. I long for the days Pitt, PSU and WVU all played each other.

Arguing with me on steel is a losing battle. But of course, you're more than welcome to try. China overproduced steel, far beyond their own requirements. They did not slow down their steel mills production until about 45 days ago. Through the last three quarters of last year, they dumped their surplus into this country below their own cost to produce it. That is what Trump is going to protect us from. We can meet our own steel demands with our domestic production.
Agree, can't allow dumping - or what some mistakenly call free trade. I remember US Steel sending my Dad over to Japan as part of a general technology sharing thing in the early 70s. I guess they didn't figure Japan would take our technology and end up dumping their steel over here and helped kill the industry over here. Also, I agree that steel mills are good places to work. High technology, like most manufacturing in the US. There would be plenty of people happy to get a job in a modern steel mill, from labor to engineering to management.

Thing people forget is that the city proper always was eds and meds and company headquarters. The vast majority of manufacturing was always in the suburbs and surrounding counties, which have never recovered. I live in the town where I grew up. I graduated high school in 1978 in a class of about 210, today the same school graduates less than 50 students each year.

It's a shame and it's bad for regional college football, IMO. I long for the days Pitt, PSU and WVU all played each other.

What happened back in the day was that the Pitt/Penn State contract was up and for the new one Paterno wanted two home games at PSU for every one game at Pitt. Pitt rightly told JoPa to pound salt and they haven't played since.

A bad joke about JoePa is less than nothing in the grand scheme of things.

The thing to remember is industrial might is one of the things that makes us a super power. The FairTax goes a long way to bringing back industry that left. Reining in all the various federal agencies that make it harder to do business is another thing that will help. The final thing is backing out of "free trade" deals that aren't free because they aren't reciprocal and they allow the other party advantage.

A bad joke about JoePa is less than nothing in the grand scheme of things.

The thing to remember is industrial might is one of the things that makes us a super power. The FairTax goes a long way to bringing back industry that left. Reining in all the various federal agencies that make it harder to do business is another thing that will help. The final thing is backing out of "free trade" deals that aren't free because they aren't reciprocal and they allow the other party advantage.

You probably watch Fox News and cling to your guns and religion you white knuckle-dragging cretin.