• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trump indicted: Espionage Act

I guess all the people in Chambersburg, after their homes were burned by Confederate soldiers, and lost their ability to feed their families and so forth, don't count. I wonder about those Union soldiers in Andersonville or Belle Isle who died horrific deaths, I guess they don't matter. What a bunch of horseshit. How many damn times do you have to be told that the assertion is NOT being made that those farm boys were fighting for slavery. The powerful people who put them there and helped to cause it, for sure it was about slavery.
Sherman’s March to the sea says “Hi”.

Point Look Out?

I guess you just gonna ignore that shiznit huh?

Again history is written by the winners. Take a step back and look at the big picture.

Sherman’s March to the sea says “Hi”.

Point Look Out?

I guess you just gonna ignore that shiznit huh?

Again history is written by the winners. Take a step back and look at the big picture.
I'm not ignoring anything. I ws responding to the ridiculousness of a previous post. As Zona said, there were bad things done by both sides. And I certainly acknowledge that there was more destruction down South.

One very important thing to remember here is WE didn't experience any of that. Let's stop acting like we did. Like this call for reparations today. Nobody alive today experienced any of that! Stop it.

Normally you are right, history is written by the winners. The American Civil War may be one of the few exceptions. To deny that there was a concerted effort in the late 1800s and early 1900s to make the South's cause more noble is just denying facts. I understand why, in a way. I have so much respect for those poor farm boys who didn't have shiit but fought so damn well. But they were taken advantage of, and they knew it. Probably a tough damn pill to swallow.

I'm not ignoring anything. I ws responding to the ridiculousness of a previous post. As Zona said, there were bad things done by both sides. And I certainly acknowledge that there was more destruction down South.

One very important thing to remember here is WE didn't experience any of that. Let's stop acting like we did. Like this call for reparations today. Nobody alive today experienced any of that! Stop it.

Normally you are right, history is written by the winners. The American Civil War may be one of the few exceptions. To deny that there was a concerted effort in the late 1800s and early 1900s to make the South's cause more noble is just denying facts. I understand why, in a way. I have so much respect for those poor farm boys who didn't have shiit but fought so damn well. But they were taken advantage of, and they knew it. Probably a tough damn pill to swallow.
Yeah no.

What happened is 50 years removed historians began to look at things objectively and they actually gave an honest assessment. If you can’t grasp that i can’t help you. You better learn from that shiznit because the same financial interests are set on doing the same shiznit again and you are in the crosshairs too this time. It ain’t just those southern rednecks you have so much contempt for.

Q: How do you keep the south beautiful?

A: Put a Yankee on a north bound bus.

Yeah no.

What happened is 50 years removed historians began to look at things objectively and they actually gave an honest assessment. If you can’t grasp that i can’t help you. You better learn from that shiznit because the same financial interests are set on doing the same shiznit again and you are in the crosshairs too this time. It ain’t just those southern rednecks you have so much contempt for.
You are an emotional cottonball, aren't you? Where did I ever show contempt for the "Southern redneck?" I have nothing but respect for those folks. That's a large part of my extended family. Shiit, I'm a Pennsylvania redneck. Nowhere did I day other issues were not factors. But to dismiss slavery is just not accurate. It isn't. If you can't grasp that, I can't help you.

You act like these "financial interests" were just limited to the damn Yankees. Give me a break. The big plantation owner or Southern politician was just so pure, they weren't influenced at all with "financial interests." The people with money, "financial interests" have always taken advantage of those who do not have that money, geography doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.

You are an emotional cottonball, aren't you? Where did I ever show contempt for the "Southern redneck?" I have nothing but respect for those folks. That's a large part of my extended family. Shiit, I'm a Pennsylvania redneck. Nowhere did I day other issues were not factors. But to dismiss slavery is just not accurate. It isn't. If you can't grasp that, I can't help you.

You act like these "financial interests" were just limited to the damn Yankees. Give me a break. The big plantation owner or Southern politician was just so pure, they weren't influenced at all with "financial interests." The people with money, "financial interests" have always taken advantage of those who do not have that money, geography doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.
Dude I’m not the one pitching a hissyfit because of an opposing viewpoint. 😁

Dude I’m not the one pitching a hissyfit because of an opposing viewpoint. 😁
You aren't? I would argue a definition of hissyfit is assigning statements or op-inions to people they did not make or do not have and then blaming them for it.

Last edited:
You aren't? I would argue a definition of hissyfit is assigning statements or op-inions to people they did not make or do not have and then blaming them for it.
No! No!

That’s just southern apologetics!

They invented the toothbrush down South somewhere. Had it happened up North it woulda been the teethbrush.

diver, were those books, papers, etc you read regarding the "cause" of the war to make the South look better possibly be a way to help heal the nation?

as has been said, there were many deaths on both sides - Confederates and Union. All were American deaths, despite what the c0cksucker Flog says.

LC Greenwood's memory of picking cotton doesn't hold any water with me. My grandmother was also out in the fields picking cotton - since my great grandparents weren't aware of their white privilege at that point in the early 1900s. Living on a farm and being surrounded by other people also clueless about their white privilege. ****, the family who lived behind my great grandparents' house was a black family. They had a little boy who achieved a lot in his lifetime. You may have heard of him - Alex Haley.

I do agree with your assessment that the powerful elites of the time were telling the country one thing, while harboring intent for another. It's not out of the realm of believability to consider that, either.

Just as technology was catching up to slavery and ending it with machinery, we're seeing the same thing in our lifetime. While Lincoln didnt want to end slavery, he 's in stark comparison to Biden who wants to end internal combustion engines. And his party is passing laws to do so. It's all playing out right in front of us, if we take a moment and look.

diver, were those books, papers, etc you read regarding the "cause" of the war to make the South look better possibly be a way to help heal the nation?

as has been said, there were many deaths on both sides - Confederates and Union. All were American deaths, despite what the c0cksucker Flog says.

LC Greenwood's memory of picking cotton doesn't hold any water with me. My grandmother was also out in the fields picking cotton - since my great grandparents weren't aware of their white privilege at that point in the early 1900s. Living on a farm and being surrounded by other people also clueless about their white privilege. ****, the family who lived behind my great grandparents' house was a black family. They had a little boy who achieved a lot in his lifetime. You may have heard of him - Alex Haley.

I do agree with your assessment that the powerful elites of the time were telling the country one thing, while harboring intent for another. It's not out of the realm of believability to consider that, either.

Just as technology was catching up to slavery and ending it with machinery, we're seeing the same thing in our lifetime. While Lincoln didnt want to end slavery, he 's in stark comparison to Biden who wants to end internal combustion engines. And his party is passing laws to do so. It's all playing out right in front of us, if we take a moment and look.
Maybe it was an effort to heal the nation. Which was necessary. I acknowledge the Radical Republican plan for dealing with the South after the war didn't help. And yes, they all were American deaths...totally agree.

I still think emotions are taking over and what I am saying is not being understood. Poor, white, uneducated people picked their own cotton. I get that. My point with that was I think there was a segment of the wealthy South that wasn't just going to give up slavery. The proposition was made that it would have just went away. I don't know that I agree that it would have, but not because of people like your grandmother. Again, this is about the wealthy slave/landowners. Do you really believe some of them would have just given up on that lifestyle?

There is a big difference between slavery and the engine. One involves human beings. I'm not quite getting the comparison because of that fact.

Maybe it was an effort to heal the nation. Which was necessary. I acknowledge the Radical Republican plan for dealing with the South after the war didn't help. And yes, they all were American deaths...totally agree.

I still think emotions are taking over and what I am saying is not being understood. Poor, white, uneducated people picked their own cotton. I get that. My point with that was I think there was a segment of the wealthy South that wasn't just going to give up slavery. The proposition was made that it would have just went away. I don't know that I agree that it would have, but not because of people like your grandmother. Again, this is about the wealthy slave/landowners. Do you really believe some of them would have just given up on that lifestyle?

There is a big difference between slavery and the engine. One involves human beings. I'm not quite getting the comparison because of that fact.
now you're asking my opinion...

yes, I do believe that at some point slavery would have been used less and less until it was nil. I can agree with the assertion that some of the wealthier land owners didnt want to give up their slaves. They had an investment, if you can call it that, in slavery. Getting "new" slaves was cheaper than buying machinery, learning to use it, learning to fix it when it breaks and teaching others how to use it. Whereas, buying a slave or five from the slave trader was easier and cheaper for the slave owner, short term. To end that investment in slavery for some machine would have been akin to people dumping horses for electric cars when all they knew and knew of was horses.

IMO, as the generations grew up, slaves were not seen as "lesser" by those who were elbow-to-elbow with them in the fields, cooked with them, talked with them, etc. The slaves were just people with a darker skin. Were the slaves looked down upon? Of course they were. Just as my ancestors from Ireland were. Those at the bottom of the ladder tend to work their way up, though. Just as segments of society look down on others. As Democrats look down on those who work for a living. As we all look down on primordial ooze squealched from a black pond to sprout cloven hooves, learn the internet and call itself "Ogurr".

Welcome to the thread....

Trump indicted: Espionage Act​

Where everyone is a Civil War expert (and some are old enough to have lived through it)

200.webp

Welcome to the thread....

Trump indicted: Espionage Act​

Where everyone is a Civil War expert (and some are old enough to have lived through it)

200.webp
I see Steeltime sitting down under the tent while the real men and women are out working.

Yeah, that might be Steelchip on the right.
I see Steeltime sitting down under the tent while the real men and women are out working

Since this thread has wandered off due to lack of anything of substance to report, guess which living President, past or present, has no ancestorial ownership of slaves?

Since this thread has wandered off due to lack of anything of substance to report, guess which living President, past or present, has no ancestorial ownership of slaves?

Trump?
But then Obama wasn't a natural born citizen, so maybe it's him.

What lasts forever?
The debate over the real reason for the Civil War. It rages on.

If you Google it you get inundated with arguments from both sides.
Don't know what to believe.

For more than 80 years, people in the Northern and Southern states had been debating the issues that ultimately led to war: economic policies and practices, cultural values, the extent and reach of the Federal government, and, most importantly, the role of slavery within American society.

or...

A common explanation is that the Civil War was fought over the moral issue of slavery. In fact, it was the economics of slavery and political control of that system that was central to the conflict.

Trump?
But then Obama wasn't a natural born citizen, so maybe it's him.
Yep, his family didn't get here until after 1865. Barry's whyte mom had 2, Pedo Pete has at least one in his history, Bush's 20+, but the winner is Jimma with around 50.
Personally, Zona's family scratched the dirt all by themselves.

Last edited:
What lasts forever?
The debate over the real reason for the Civil War. It rages on.

If you Google it you get inundated with arguments from both sides.
Don't know what to believe.

For more than 80 years, people in the Northern and Southern states had been debating the issues that ultimately led to war: economic policies and practices, cultural values, the extent and reach of the Federal government, and, most importantly, the role of slavery within American society.

or...

A common explanation is that the Civil War was fought over the moral issue of slavery. In fact, it was the economics of slavery and political control of that system that was central to the conflict.
Look, slavery was a component of the war, I just get a little tired of the BS where the narrative is that it was only about slavery, slavery, slavery. Geez, pick up a book.

Yep, his family didn't get here until after 1865. Barry's whyte mom had 2, Pedo Pete has at least one in his history, Bush's 20+, but the winner is Jimma with around 50.
Personally, Zona's family scratched the dirt all by themselves.
Obama, my second guess was a senior moment. Just looked up Clinton, he had 1.