• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trump loss is Hillary's gain

Sanders "free college" idea would make college worthless and equivalent to 13th-16th grade.

I agree our high schools have pandered too much to ideals of "college or bust" principles. And high schools continue to waste valuable time and resources trying to force a college curriculum down kids throats that have no interest or talent to take advantage of it.

The vocational system is this country has gotten a terrible rap and is grossly underutilized and underfunded. With unions concentrating on the "low hanging fruit" is the public sector (which should be outlawed), the after high school apprenticeship programs and tradesman learning opportunities are missing in our economy.

Not everyone is cut out to be college educated. But options to continue education in a trade is vital to making people feel self-worth and accomplishment.

If Bernie Sanders was a true communist (and you read through his bullshit), I could easily see his "free college" transform into "free vocational training" into "placing kids into trades based on test scores".....

And that does sound a bit too much like Marxism for my taste.

I don't understand your argument. Just because college is free does not mean that you would get in. I think free college would help some kids get out of a bad situation. The real question is, is free college practical? I just don't see how it will be possible

I don't understand your argument. Just because college is free does not mean that you would get in. I think free college would help some kids get out of a bad situation. The real question is, is free college practical? I just don't see how it will be possible

No, it means that colleges would let everyone in who wants to come because the govt will pay them for each head. Actually we already have something close to that. When you're low income and unemployed the govt will pay for you to go to college for a while. People don't all want to be there but they get paid and it extends their unemployment benefits too. I've been part-time faculty at different community colleges and after about the third week of each semester half or more of my students would disappear. After they get a grade that proves they were in class they drop the class, get a full or partial refund of the "free" money that paid for the class, blow it on nails or tattoos, then come back the next semester and do it again. Govt financial aid has a requirement that you get kicked if you don't complete three consecutive semesters, this is why they're pretty stringent on me taking and reporting attendance, but it's still a scam that students who don't really want to be there can run for a year and a half and get some free money and student loans that they will never pay back. I had one class in Youngstown, OH that got down to one student after the second went to jail, and even he didn't always show up (the only white kid in the class). I worked a deal with him that if I didn't see him in the break room before class then I'd go home. Hey, I get paid the same either way and have less tests to grade.