• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tyler Matakevich moves up to 2nd team behind Shazier

Did you know.." Dirty Red" originally eludes to a "black man" who has some interracial mixing that involved someone of red hair / freckles. ? 1620719_840663325944698_1654087390668075670_n.jpg

I find it interesting that 6 years is the max a player has worn this number for us. Let's hope Big Red pushes that number up.

I'm a bit old school. #44 was a Running back or FB type of number. Still a cool number, though.

I'm a bit old school. #44 was a Running back or FB type of number. Still a cool number, though.

It's very popular in hockey, so I see it often. But you're right. FBs, or Safeties are what I'm used to seeing in that range. I thought Lee Flowers was a 44 until I looked him up. He was a 41.

Not sure if I want Dirty Red in passing situations (he's James Farrior slow); but, I'm all in for subbing him in on running situations or blitz packages...

This is a real problem area. Timmons is slowing down. Williams? Terrible in coverage. Not his forte. Red? I think he's our 2nd best ILB coverage man, not because he's fast, but because he's smart, and has good hands.

This is a real problem area. Timmons is slowing down. Williams? Terrible in coverage. Not his forte. Red? I think he's our 2nd best ILB coverage man, not because he's fast, but because he's smart, and has good hands.

I see the glass as half full - first of all - Shaz is a good cover LB and only getting better. Golden can also play cover LB and I would suspect that Davis has those qualities as well. Now, while, Dirty Red is smart and hardly out of position - it's the scat backs and shifty guys that will expose his lack of speed. BUT, I'm certain that we'll have coverages to maximize his strengths and cover up his weaknesses...

That is what a coach is for ya know???

I see the glass as half full - first of all - Shaz is a good cover LB and only getting better. Golden can also play cover LB and I would suspect that Davis has those qualities as well. Now, while, Dirty Red is smart and hardly out of position - it's the scat backs and shifty guys that will expose his lack of speed. BUT, I'm certain that we'll have coverages to maximize his strengths and cover up his weaknesses...

That is what a coach is for ya know???

Agreed, except out gave Timmons too many coverage assignments last year and in the pre-season. It's not working... Another nickel coverage person is needed.

I'd rather have Golden back there as a safety, not as a nickel in the box safety as the corners need his help. If Davis tackles a bit better in the open field, this could be part of his job as a rookie.

We'll see how Butler plays it.

Covering backs and taller TE's with speed has been an issue for years. I was actually hoping Rookie Travis Feeney could get a crack at this role, but his body is made of paper mache.