• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tyrann Mathieu Lingers In SteelerNation’s Dreams

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers do not have a starting strong safety. Pro Bowl strong safety Tyrann Mathieu is on the market still. See the fit? So do we. Are the Steelers willing to pay Mathieu enough to come to Pittsburgh? That is the burning question left to be answered.

We know Kevin Colbert, and Mike Tomlin know that Mathieu is a solid player, and would be a fit beside All-Pro Minkah Fitzpatrick. They’re not dumb. They’d also love to have JC Jackson, Chandler Jones, and Von Miller too, but it just isn’t possible. Some will say that Mathieu isn’t possible either, but he is, and here’s why.

Mathieu’s past contracts (rookie deal not included):

Cardinals 2016 (extension)
5 years 64 million – released two years into contract prior to 2018 season.
Texans 2018 1 year 7 million – played out and left Houston
Chiefs 20193 years 42 million – played out contract

Mathieu like all NFL players are always looking for that next big contract until it isn’t possible anymore. And even then they still are chasing it. Can’t blame them though because some teams will still shell out the big dollars even when a player is nearing his twilight. That’s why the Detroit Lions, and Jacksonville Jaguars’ of the world stay the same year in and year out.

If Mathieu was going to get the huge contract it would’ve already happened. Safety Marcus Williams signed a 5 year 70 million dollar deal with the Baltimore Ravens on Tuesday. The premier safeties are still in the same neighborhood as 2016 when Mathieu received his large extension. That should show you how much the NFL thinks of safeties, especially when Devante Adams just got 28 million per year yesterday. He’s just not going to get a long term deal at his age.

So that set the top end of the market for this off-season for safeties. 14-16 million per season. Hunter Smith signed a 4 year 64 million dollar deal last year in Minnesota averaging 16 million per season. There’s no doubt that Mathieu’s agents are pushing for him to get at least 14 million per season, but it just isn’t likely. Fellow stud Landon Collins is also on the market, and neither of them are going to see top end contracts.

The Steelers could easily offer 14 million under normal circumstances, but the outlier is the fact that they still have to sign their own outstanding safety in Fitzpatrick. He’s entering the final year of his contract, and it’s believed that he’s the number one priority for the Steelers once the draft has concluded. The Steelers likely want to give Fitzpatrick a similar deal to that of Williams in Baltimore. That’s at the 14 million spot. They just can’t feasibly give Mathieu more than they want to give Fitzpatrick and bid against themselves for him. Giving him the same amount per year leaves a good argument for Fitzpatrick’s agent. Fitzpatrick is several years younger, and an All-Pro.

The Steelers would have to continue to step out of their normal business structure if they want to get Mathieu into Pittsburgh. They might have to outbid a team with guaranteed money, which they never do, or really pile on the incentives.

They could offer him 3 years 39 million with incentives that get it up to 50 million. If his market is cold, which there’s no indication that it is, that could be the number that gets him to town. Basically you better be saying your prayers before bed about him coming to town, and trying to speak it into existence. (BTW am I doing that right?)

Or they can just re-sign Terrell Edmunds. But Honey Badger sounds a lot better.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Still probably going to sign Minkah and DJ before the season but Minkah is the priority. He could take right up until the season starts so I don't know how the plays out with DJ. Unless, of course, they plan to let DJ play out his final year and then tag him.

Still probably going to sign Minkah and DJ before the season but Minkah is the priority. He could take right up until the season starts so I don't know how the plays out with DJ. Unless, of course, they plan to let DJ play out his final year and then tag him.
So do you believe the Steelers feel like they have time with DJ?

Hopefully the Steelers have gobs of time to let DJ warm his *** on the bench next season.

Goodriddens to him and JuJu.

Addition by subtraction.

So do you believe the Steelers feel like they have time with DJ?
Don't know. The pundits in Pittsburgh seem to think they will work on Minkah before anyone else. Who knows. With JuJu gone, signing DJ pretty much became a must and his pricetag to stay may have gone up as well. If he's not signed before the draft, snagging a WR in the 1st 2 rounds becomes very realistic and then they very well may/could tag DJ next year.

You have a very high opinion of DJ
He has earned it. He is the best most consistent Receiver on the team and is capable of huge numbers with better play calling and line play. ANd yes he had made mistakes and needs to get out of his head when he does but he is very talented.

He has earned it. He is the best most consistent Receiver on the team and is capable of huge numbers with better play calling and line play. ANd yes he had made mistakes and needs to get out of his head when he does but he is very talented.
i disagree - he hasn't earned it.

He celebrates first-downs nearly as much as AB did. He never has had close to as many TDs/receptions/yards/YAC.

DJ doesn't scare anyone in the league with speed nor change of direction. So i don't know why you'd say that DJ could be "capable of huge numbers"?

DJ has been the most consistent. But i wouldn't hang my hat on that. And nor do i see that DJ has any talent... at all.

He celebrates first-downs nearly as much as AB did. He never has had close to as many TDs/receptions/yards/YAC.

DJ doesn't scare anyone in the league with speed nor change of direction. So i don't know why you'd say that DJ could be "capable of huge numbers"?

DJ has been the most consistent. But i wouldn't hang my hat on that. And nor do i see that DJ has any talent... at all.
He has been as good as or better as AB so far
AB:
151 catches, 2062 yards, 7 TDs

DJ:
254 catches, 2764 yards, 20 TDs

You are wrong, 3 years in DJ is better. His change of direction absolutely scares people and it's why he gets open. I am not sure you understand just what type of things he has done in his first 3 years but they are damn good even with some warts.

DJ is nowhere near the WR AB was. Sorry, he just isn't. Not even close. As much of a dick AB is, he is still a hall of fame WR. DJ is not. He's a good but not great WR. Could he be great? Maybe. He showed the work ethic last offseason. If he does the same moving forward, he will continue to improve. The Steelers will either sign him (although it might be after Minkah) or they will draft a WR high and tag DJ next year in hopes of working out a long term deal.

He has been as good as or better as AB so far
AB:
151 catches, 2062 yards, 7 TDs

DJ:
254 catches, 2764 yards, 20 TDs

You are wrong, 3 years in DJ is better. His change of direction absolutely scares people and it's why he gets open. I am not sure you understand just what type of things he has done in his first 3 years but they are damn good even with some warts.
Warts? At some point in order to be a viable #2 or #3 option then you have to get over 65% catch percentage - or else the #1 draws triple coverage and you get 1 man, on a leveraged zone coverage no less.

To be a #1 you have to be a real threat. You might not have to catch so many, but you HAVE to catch double-digit TDs.

Diontae has done neither yet. Maybe it's scheme or play-calling. Maybe he will, but that's a **** load of celebrating for not alot of production.

DJ is nowhere near the WR AB was. Sorry, he just isn't. Not even close. As much of a dick AB is, he is still a hall of fame WR. DJ is not. He's a good but not great WR. Could he be great? Maybe. He showed the work ethic last offseason. If he does the same moving forward, he will continue to improve. The Steelers will either sign him (although it might be after Minkah) or they will draft a WR high and tag DJ next year in hopes of working out a long term deal.
Agreed. i think he's mediocre to bad and has been sucking up targets by default but i can see others thinking...

Guys with no talent don't put up 1,000 yards and 8 touchdowns.
Warts? At some point in order to be a viable #2 or #3 option then you have to get over 65% catch percentage - or else the #1 draws triple coverage and you get 1 man, on a leveraged zone coverage no less.

To be a #1 you have to be a real threat. You might not have to catch so many, but you HAVE to catch double-digit TDs.

Diontae has done neither yet. Maybe it's scheme or play-calling. Maybe he will, but that's a **** load of celebrating for not alot of production.
No you don't. Only 8 WRs/TEs had 10+ TDs in 2021, 9 in 2020, and just 3 in 2019. By your standards there aren't many No. 1 receivers in the NFL.

Guys with no talent don't put up 1,000 yards and 8 touchdowns.

No you don't. Only 8 WRs/TEs had 10+ TDs in 2021, 9 in 2020, and just 3 in 2019. By your standards there aren't many No. 1 receivers in the NFL.
i disagree that 'Guys with no talent don't put up 1,000 yards' - i believe in today's 60-70 pass attempt per game NFL, they certainly do.

i agree that i have high standards. Maybe they are too high. i dont know.

i disagree that 'Guys with no talent don't put up 1,000 yards' - i believe in today's 60-70 pass attempt per game NFL, they certainly do.

i agree that i have high standards. Maybe they are too high. i dont know.
How many times has a QB actually thrown the ball 60 - 70 times in a game? With a 17th game added the 1000 yard standard is getting weaker sure. I believe 26 players had a 1000 plus yards last year. 17 the year before. 30 in 2019. 21 on 2018. Not even an average of one per team. Apparently it isn't that easy of a feat. One might believe it is but it sure doesn't look like it is.

Not even an average of one per team. Apparently it isn't that easy of a feat.
I can see where you are coming from but i think 1,000 yards used to vaunted. Used to get you to a Pro Bowl selection.

Now, 30 of em in 2019! i mean its a pass happy league.

Take out your Blandas and your Testaverdes then you see 60 attempts is somewhat a thing these days. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_att_single_game.htm

No you don't have to have that many TD's and to this point he has more than AB did and with worse play calling and worse QB play. You forget or ignore he had a year without Ben and Fichtner calling the plays then he had rehabbing Ben and an O Line that sucked and gave Ben no time YET he still put up good to great numbers considering the **** show that was our offense and being the only guy who was a threat. Your analysis of DJ is purely emotional and without any actual facts that back it up. Your claim about him versus AB was flat out wrong and I proved it yet you ignore it.