• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

U.S. Airlines Flee Castro's Island Hellhole

Where do you go in Cuber? Flights have either started from Tampa or will soon.

Not Habana.

Varadero for beaches, Holguin, Trinidad del Cuba, Bahia de Cochinos. I want to get to Pinar Del Rio and Santiago at some point.
Cuba libre, cervezas, langostas, arroz con gris y haber buceo.
Simple life.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

A guy I know in the steel industry who went to Cuba 10 years ago, via Mexico. They respectfully didn't stamp his passport. He "hired" three women for two days and two nights. Their secretarial services cost him $125 USD. Total. I would never do such a thing, at least as long as I'm married, but that is a ******* steal. Or so I'm told.

A guy I know in the steel industry who went to Cuba 10 years ago, via Mexico. They respectfully didn't stamp his passport. He "hired" three women for two days and two nights. Their secretarial services cost him $125 USD. Total. I would never do such a thing, at least as long as I'm married, but that is a ******* steal. Or so I'm told.

Please do not share that information with Bill Clinton.

Not Habana.

Varadero for beaches, Holguin, Trinidad del Cuba, Bahia de Cochinos. I want to get to Pinar Del Rio and Santiago at some point.
Cuba libre, cervezas, langostas, arroz con gris y haber buceo.
Simple life.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Cuba libre...........You can get a rum and coke in Montreal

In Cuba they cook their langostas ..
th
..to look like .....
th

And arroz con gris ..........

Yuk, y'all must eat too much moose **** up yonder, that food down there reminds me of the bottom of my garbage can...LOL

18JPCUBA3-articleLarge.jpg

th
th
th

They put the plate down on the table and I watch it for a minute to see if anything moves.

Come-on Con, you go there for the clear reefs and an occasional peek at them purty senorita's when momma's not lookin'.

Last edited:

In Cuba they cook their langostas ....to look like .....

Yuk, y'all must eat too much moose **** up yonder, that food down there reminds me of the bottom of my garbage can...LOL

They put the plate down on the table and I watch it for a minute to see if anything moves.

Come-on Con, you go there for the clear reefs and an occasional peek at them purty senorita's when momma's not lookin'.

That's funny Chip. But if you ever get a chance to sit down and eat some authentic cuban food, it's fabulous. My father lives in Naples FL and there a few authentic, 1st generation Cuban restaurants he's taken me to. It's some damned good food. It's one of the things I look forward to doing when I go see him - eating Cuban (no, not Cubans like Indy's "buddy" was doing)

In Cuba they cook their langostas ..
th
..to look like .....
th

18JPCUBA3-articleLarge.jpg

th
th
th

One of the best meals ever was at a farm in the middle of the country, south of Matanzas (the Massacre), after a day of diving. We had amazing pit BBQ cerdo, tamales, arroz con gris, langostas, yucca and Crystal y Buccanero. It was amazing. The only energy source at the farm was a buried diesel engine that looked like it was from the 40s, and smoked like it was from the 30s. lol

Cuban ice cream is to die for: it is real. they can't afford to import all the chemicals that is in most stuff we buy here. All natural, cuz that is all they have.

That's funny Chip. But if you ever get a chance to sit down and eat some authentic cuban food, it's fabulous. My father lives in Naples FL and there a few authentic, 1st generation Cuban restaurants he's taken me to. It's some damned good food. It's one of the things I look forward to doing when I go see him - eating Cuban (no, not Cubans like Indy's "buddy" was doing)

I have eaten tons of Cuban food Tim. I lived in Miami for awhile, Ft Lauderdale and Tampa also and I agree that some of it is good stuff. even if it's laced with Mojo.

Truth be told, I think there are more Cubano's in South Florida than there are in Cuba. My buddy has a septic business in Miami and he said he can't even pull permits at city hall in English anymore. Go to Hialeah and you'll need a translator in McDonalds if ya no peeka pany.

We used to say that the last American outta Miami, needs to turn out the lights and grab the flag. LOL..Great people for the most part and hard workers.... y'all can have the cousine.

Problem is, I'm a meat and potatoes guy and there are not many vegetables, especially green ones that make it on my plate...beans either. . If I had my druthers, it would be Brazilian food before Cuban...jus me.

My favorite Cuban dish is...Arroz Con Pollo

arroz-con-pollo-horiz-b-800.jpg

Besides, that was just a friendly poke at Con, our Canadian/Cuban ambassador to the SN.

Cuban ice cream is to die for: it is real. they can't afford to import all the chemicals that is in most stuff we buy here. All natural, cuz that is all they have.

Don't think I have ever eatin' Cuban ice cream and definitely not from the middle of the Island. Do they make that with Mojo too ?

The fried ice cream at Burn's Steak House in Tampa is good but I don't know if that's a Cuban thing or not.

Nah, I looked it up..it's Asian.

Last edited:
I've found that it's best to get the hell through Albuquerque without any turns or stops.

If you stop. Just pick up a few breakfast burritos along the way. I'm trying to move out of here myself. I will miss the food though

Reactions: MTC
Don't think I have ever eatin' Cuban ice cream and definitely not from the middle of the Island. The fried ice cream at Burn's Steak House in Tampa is good but I don't know if that's a Cuban thing or not.

Fried ice cream?
I've heard of fried oreos and twinkies. Fried and ice do not---*baffled*

Fried ice cream?

Heck man, Chi-Chi's* had fried ice cream.

* The infamous Chi-Chi's that sickened dozens of people and killed three with hepatitis and bankrupted the company is four miles from me. We ate there too, none of us got sick but we did get a free hepatitis vaccine and a class action settlement check for $160. Each. :towel:

* The infamous Chi-Chi's that sickened dozens of people and killed three with hepatitis and bankrupted the company is four miles from me. We ate there too, none of us got sick but we did get a free hepatitis vaccine and a class action settlement check for $160. Each. :towel:

Ooooh. Ewww! I wanna get $160 for nearly being poisoned. Dafuq?

Edit: I don't want food poisoning. Pass

Fried ice cream?

Good stuff MTC,

th

The dessert is commonly made by taking a scoop of ice cream frozen well below the temperature at which ice cream is generally kept, possibly coating it in raw egg, rolling it in cornflakes or cookie crumbs, and briefly deep frying it. The extremely low temperature of the ice cream prevents it from melting while being fried. It may be sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and a touch of peppermint, though whipped cream or honey may be used as well.

Fried ice cream?

Dude......you are missing out. Do yourself a favor. The "fried part" is just a crispy outer layer around the ice cream that has a sweet taste, usually like cinnamon and sugar. Once you get through the outer layer it's just ice cream. Usually caramel or fudge is drizzled over the top. Yum.

Last edited:
Dude......you are missing out. Do yourself a favor. The "fried part" is just a crispy outer layer around the ice cream that has a sweet taste, usually like cinnamon and sugar. Once you get through the outer layer it's just ice cream. Usually caramel or fudge is drizzled over the top. Yum.

Gonna have to try it. A few restuaraunts offer it here in ABQ so gonna try probably tomorrow if not thursday

Fried ice cream is yummy. I've seen it on menus in a lot of places.

I never knew why chichi's closed down. We had one here. Ate there lots of times. Luckily I never got sick. I did drink a Margarita at my bosses' birthday lunch there once and had to go home early cause my stomach hurt and who the hell drinks at lunch anyway. Not me obviously. Everyone had one. I haven't drank during work hours since.

I never knew why chichi's closed down. We had one here. Ate there lots of times. Luckily I never got sick. I did drink a Margarita at my bosses' birthday lunch there once and had to go home early cause my stomach hurt and who the hell drinks at lunch anyway. Not me obviously. Everyone had one. I haven't drank during work hours since.

It only happened at the one near me. The hepatitis was traced to contaminated green onions imported from Mexico that were in the mild salsa. Fortunately the Burgundy family uses the hot salsa. None of us got sick but a guy at my church was in the hospital for a month and got a much larger lawsuit settlement.

If you stop. Just pick up a few breakfast burritos along the way. I'm trying to move out of here myself. I will miss the food though

We were on our way to AZ at 3:00 AM or so and a trucker about ran us in to a guard rail coming through those turns in the foothills. On the way back from AZ we stopped at a Dennys, Perkins, something and whew, we weren't in a good neighborhood. It was 3:00 AM or so again. Good times. We got a whole bunch of "who the **** are these dumbasses?" looks, ate our food and got the hell out of there.

It only happened at the one near me. The hepatitis was traced to contaminated green onions imported from Mexico that were in the mild salsa. Fortunately the Burgundy family uses the hot salsa. None of us got sick but a guy at my church was in the hospital for a month and got a much larger lawsuit settlement.

Wow. He must've been in really bad shape.

We were on our way to AZ at 3:00 AM or so and a trucker about ran us in to a guard rail coming through those turns in the foothills. On the way back from AZ we stopped at a Dennys, Perkins, something and whew, we weren't in a good neighborhood. It was 3:00 AM or so again. Good times. We got a whole bunch of "who the **** are these dumbasses?" looks, ate our food and got the hell out of there.

It's a sketchy town. I live on the bad side of town too. Gun shots were going off just right behind our back yard last week. The denny's in the not so good part has to be off 98th street, next to a flying J's truckstop and jack in the box. Thats my side of town alright

Last edited: