• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

UNLV QB Quits Team Over Money

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I figured this could use it’s own topic aside from the weekly college games thread. It was bound to happen, a player is finally leaving mid season over money. After getting UNLV to 3-0, he wants his money. UNLV QB Matthew Sluka says one of the coaches verbally told him he’d get $100K to play this year. He has been paid $3000 as a relocation fee for transferring in from Holy Cross.

UNLV’s collective (that’s what schools call the slush fund of money used to pay players) has no written contract of any sort with him and says they owe him no money. On advice of his agent (yes these kids have agents now), he has left school, plans to redshirt this year (he can do that since he played less than 4 games), and enter the transfer portal again for next year.

Here’s an article

This is a bad look. Did UNLV really offer him 100K and are backing out or is this kid using his hot start to extort them for more money?

This current gray area of paying players has to go. It seems inevitable that there will be some sort of collective bargaining at some point. They better do something because things like this will start popping up.

This will eventually destroy college football. I yearn for the days gone by when players were simply paid under the table, like seeing Tony Dorset's illegally parked, new Monte Carlo parked in front of Salk Hall every day as I went to class.

This stuff is going to change,it has to.

My neighbor claims Tony Dorsett was in his chemistry class at Pitt. But Tony was never there. He got a B.

Imagine if Bama QB Jalen Milroe said he wanted $1 Million to play against Georgia this week. Would he get it? I bet he would. Who will be the first player to make that brazen move? It’s coming if they don’t make some rules. And once that first player held out for a big game, it would probably become common.

There will be NIL contracts before too long

If they did indeed lie to him, which most reports I’ve heard point that way it was basically his best option to give the liars a big fat fu and just redshirt the rest of the year. Sounds like something that would happen in Vegas

Peace out bro, time to redshirt and good luck recruiting in the future bum a$$ UNLV

Meh....I really could careless. People bitched that student athletes should get paid. Now they do. He left. Next man up. It is what it is.

I think a running back from UNLV is doing the same. NIL is a lot of bs but it’s here. The kid should have had a contract in hand before transferring and now UNLV is up 💩 creek because their starting Quarterback and a RB with the second most carries on the team are done. I could see them not getting another win this season. Now UNLV is not a big program but if they don’t make a Bowl game this 100k will cost them millions. Now for the players. Have a contract written and signed before enrolling. It’s that simple.

These "great ideas" people have are very often stupid. This one, too.

So very true Djfan. Most people look in a tunnel vision way and only can see just inches in front of them. Their ultimate goal is, “WHAT’s BEST FOR THEMSELVES” and not the big picture (others).

I can’t blame the player as with his actions of redshirting a possible best season of his career, makes his claim look even more believable in his respects.

I don’t have answer, but like a small spark this whole thing has a wild-fire potential.

Salute the nation

"these kids" as you call them are professional athletes that earn billions for university football programs.

Good for him for red shirting and moving on with his career. The NCAA won't allow him to transfer mid season but that should change once the law is applied evenly to University athletic programs.

Let's see how many other players follow Sluka because UNLV doesn't fly straight.

I figured this could use it’s own topic aside from the weekly college games thread. It was bound to happen, a player is finally leaving mid season over money. After getting UNLV to 3-0, he wants his money. UNLV QB Matthew Sluka says one of the coaches verbally told him he’d get $100K to play this year. He has been paid $3000 as a relocation fee for transferring in from Holy Cross.

UNLV’s collective (that’s what schools call the slush fund of money used to pay players) has no written contract of any sort with him and says they owe him no money. On advice of his agent (yes these kids have agents now), he has left school, plans to redshirt this year (he can do that since he played less than 4 games), and enter the transfer portal again for next year.

This is a bad look. Did UNLV really offer him 100K and are backing out or is this kid using his hot start to extort them for more money?

This current gray area of paying players has to go. It seems inevitable that there will be some sort of collective bargaining at some point. They better do something because things like this will start popping up.
I can tell you from personal experience that college football coaches DO NOT make NIL offers. At least not legally. If they do, they are out of bounds, and anything they say/offer in regards to NIL is non-binding. As of right now, only the collectives bargain directly with the player and/or his representatives. Sluka's "agent" should have known all of this, and should have gotten a contract signed with UNLV's collective when Sluka transferred. Period.

There will be NIL contracts before too long

If they did indeed lie to him, which most reports I’ve heard point that way it was basically his best option to give the liars a big fat fu and just redshirt the rest of the year. Sounds like something that would happen in Vegas

Peace out bro, time to redshirt and good luck recruiting in the future bum a$$ UNLV
Before too long? They exist right now.

That idea of unionizing CFB under tge NFL flag keeps getting more support... eventually the bigger schools will buckle... there are some absurd scenarios that can play out tge way things are now... some rich idiot will muck things up even worse before long

I can tell you from personal experience that college football coaches DO NOT make NIL offers. At least not legally. If they do, they are out of bounds, and anything they say/offer in regards to NIL is non-binding. As of right now, only the collectives bargain directly with the player and/or his representatives. Sluka's "agent" should have known all of this, and should have gotten a contract signed with UNLV's collective when Sluka transferred. Period.
Someone offered this young pro money and he expected the school to make good. They made him a tiny offer and he rightly said FU. Bye Bye. Period.

If they made a promise and didn't deliver that's an issue. I also gather this QB hasn't been too productive this season, but is on a team that has an outside chance at making the playoffs, a chance he may never get again.

Someone offered this young pro money and he expected the school to make good. They made him a tiny offer and he rightly said FU. Bye Bye. Period.
Well, as I already tried to explain, if that "someone" was a member of UNLV's coaching staff, then there was no legal offer to start with. The school can't "make good" on NIL promises right now, only its collective can. I do my son's negotiations myself; I would expect that an "agent" worth anything would know how to operate under the current rules. This guy obviously didn't.

Well, as I already tried to explain, if that "someone" was a member of UNLV's coaching staff, then there was no legal offer to start with. The school can't "make good" on NIL promises right now, only its collective can. I do my son's negotiations myself; I would expect that an "agent" worth anything would know how to operate under the current rules. This guy obviously didn't.
Why are you predicating your argument on legalities you don't understand. Someone promised him, they didn't follow through, and made the cardinal sin of negotiating - the low-ball. He said FU. I don't blame him

He takes a year of eligibility somewhere else and gets his money if possible.

Problem is the dude is quitting on his teammates as well. A non resident pays about $14k per semester at UNLV. So 28k / year at 4yrs. There is your 100k plus

Why are you predicating your argument on legalities you don't understand. Someone promised him, they didn't follow through, and made the cardinal sin of negotiating - the low-ball. He said FU. I don't blame him

He takes a year of eligibility somewhere else and gets his money if possible.
And you're predicating yours that he doesn't understand the legalities. I'd say he knows a good bit by undertaking the process of recruitment of his Son. Dad's have a very strong urge not to **** over their Son's ya know?

And you're predicating yours that he doesn't understand the legalities. I'd say he knows a good bit by undertaking the process of recruitment of his Son. Dad's have a very strong urge not to **** over their Son's ya know?
Why did you jump in the middle of this debate with stupidity? Get the fk out

Problem is the dude is quitting on his teammates as well. A non resident pays about $14k per semester at UNLV. So 28k / year at 4yrs. There is your 100k plus
Now explain how trickle down econ helped the working class. Get out of here with this nonsense

The school is quitting on their team
What the fk does 4 years of tuition have to do with this

Gheez, this thread stirred a hornets nest. The NCAA opened Pandora’s box by allowing NIL in the first place. All they had to do, was have athletes sign a contract for the scholarship, if they leave, they pay the school back whatever is prorated. Keep the athletics separate from the academics. Orchestrating NIL deals should be contractual, as it’s not with the school academic, but with athletic Alumni/Boosters who back the school. Keep them separate. If a kid wants to play football and avoid the process all together pay the tuition yourself (which is ridiculously too expensive), participate three years out of high school, get tape for pro scouts and bet on yourself. Which is basically what NIL offers.