• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

UNLV QB Quits Team Over Money

Now explain how trickle down econ helped the working class. Get out of here with this nonsense

The school is quitting on their team
What the fk does 4 years of tuition have to do with this

I’d leave the economic politics out of it.

The only reason he’s there is because he accepted a scholarship (up to four years of tuition). That is a contract with the school academically. Yeah, yeah, yeah, school makes millions off student athletes, we know the argument. NCAA caved to the optics instead of fixing the obvious problem. Still, a student athlete has an obligation, as he/she is using a slot that could be going to another student athlete. As for “honor system” for the NIL? Really? It involves $$$$, with money there is always a signed contract, otherwise it’s under the table. A college athlete should know that before becoming one.

Gheez, this thread stirred a hornets nest. The NCAA opened Pandora’s box by allowing NIL in the first place. All they had to do, was have athletes sign a contract for the scholarship, if they leave, they pay the school back whatever is prorated. Keep the athletics separate from the academics. Orchestrating NIL deals should be contractual, as it’s not with the school academic, but with athletic Alumni/Boosters who back the school. Keep them separate. If a kid wants to play football and avoid the process all together pay the tuition yourself (which is ridiculously too expensive), participate three years out of high school, get tape for pro scouts and bet on yourself. Which is basically what NIL offers.
The NCAA earns billions off the backs of "student athletes"

The only reason he’s there is because he accepted a scholarship (up to four years of tuition). That is a contract with the school academically. Yeah, yeah, yeah, school makes millions off student athletes, we know the argument. NCAA caved to the optics instead of fixing the obvious problem. Still, a student athlete has an obligation, as he/she is using a slot that could be going to another student athlete. As for “honor system” for the NIL? Really? It involves $$$$, with money there is always a signed contract, otherwise it’s under the table. A college athlete should know that before becoming one.
You really want to confuse the debate and ignore the Central issue.

"Yeah yeah yeah school makes millions off the athletes". You gotta to be joking sir. The NCAA earns BILLIONS from taking advantage of athletes. You are high.

Name, Image and Likeness was supposed to be more about sponsorships initially and I was good with that. What is happening now, unregulated dolling out of money from boosters and such is getting out of hand.

Why are you predicating your argument on legalities you don't understand. Someone promised him, they didn't follow through, and made the cardinal sin of negotiating - the low-ball. He said FU. I don't blame him

He takes a year of eligibility somewhere else and gets his money if possible.
Why are you talking out of your asshoIe?

I'm "predicating my argument" on my personal experience with several top ten D-I programs. I've personally negotiated NIL deals. In fact, I'm living it as we speak. I'll tell you a third time: Coaches can tell recruits whatever they want (although they aren't supposed to), but currently any NIL promises can only be legally fulfilled through collectives.

You are the fellow who doesn't seem to understand. I'm not condemning the kid for leaving; it's his right. But he and/or his representatives should have understood that a $100K contract should have been signed with UNLV's collective at the same time he transferred there.

Last edited:
Why are you talking out of your asshoIe?

I'm "predicating my argument" on my personal experience with several top ten D-I programs. I've personally negotiated NIL deals. In fact, I'm living it as we speak. I'll tell you a third time: Coaches can tell recruits whatever they want (although they aren't supposed to), but currently any NIL promises can only be legally fulfilled through collectives.

You are the fellow who doesn't seem to understand. I'm not condemning the kid for leaving; it's his right. But he and/or his representatives should have understood that a $100K contract should have been signed with UNLV's collective at the same time he transferred there.
Experience, facts and reason.
Thanks for clarifying in a manner that those who got past 3rd grade will understand.

Topseed: You know he can't sign until transfer is complete. Good luck with your negotiations. Hope you get all the money.

"Yeah yeah yeah school makes millions off the athletes". You gotta to be joking sir. The NCAA earns BILLIONS from taking advantage of athletes. You are high.
Taking advantage of them by free education? How many elite players would be in college at all if it wasn't for sports. I think students should be able to make $$ on their own, but schools should not be paying them or it is going to lead to a giant cluster which we are already starting to see. If colleges do pay players it should be equal pay for all. I also don't mind players getting paid for the video games. Big colleges will just buy all the top players or say "hey if you transfer here we will give you xxx more dollars"

Taking advantage of them by free education? How many elite players would be in college at all if it wasn't for sports. I think students should be able to make $$ on their own, but schools should not be paying them or it is going to lead to a giant cluster which we are already starting to see. If colleges do pay players it should be equal pay for all. I also don't mind players getting paid for the video games. Big colleges will just buy all the top players or say "hey if you transfer here we will give you xxx more dollars"
Y'all should let Burgundy give yaz an economics lesson or three

I’m not confusing anything. The debate is on the “Central issue”. A student athlete is what it says, non professional in their sport. A academic institution chooses to have athletic programs. They don’t have to, but to do so brings recruits, which in turn increases revenue from the base academia. The student athlete chooses whether to accept the academic scholarship (which ties him to the school, like a contract). If he doesn’t want to be committed to a scholarship, pay his own way like a academic student and if he doesn’t like the program, the transfer portal is a clean separation. So to say they are taking advantage of is a misnomer. They are given a scholarship to attend the school academically at no cost, but is also allowed to participate in their athletic programs to either play a sport “that’s paying for their education”, or for the spotlight to which to promote his/her future endeavor in the sport itself. Schools make a lot a money, in all facets. Sure college sports sticks out because of the NCAA branding furnishes broadcast rights to regular games and bowl games. But they also make a ton of money from private and government contracts in academia. Collate all the schools and universities non-sport contracts in the private sector or government domain and it’s a billion dollar industry as well. All for free to the student participants curriculum vitae in the name of research or development.

A player doesn’t have to go to college in order to play the game. Although, the NFL by-laws require you be at least three years removed from your high school graduation, there by increasing the timeframe from becoming an actual professional and/or getting on a scouts radar. So, if offered a scholarship you sign an academic contract with the school to play their sport under the institution’s name, and increase the chances of being seen by professional franchises.

The NCAA caved under pressure and the perceived disparity with coaches being able to leave before their contract is up, and allowed the transfer portal mechanism to be fair to the student athlete. As for NIL, again the NCAA caved because the optics of student athletes not getting “salaries” while under scholarship was a hardship for some. The Central issue is the NCAA has allowed NIL, but doesn’t have listed outline of rules for which to implement it. Everyone is doing their own thing. As topseed indicated, he is his son’s agent. Other college players now have agents coming out of high school for the sole purpose of NIL deals. Sponsorships require signed contracts, but the NCAA doesn’t treat NIL the same. Sure coaches can say anything, but the school is represented by the Alumni collective or Boosters. They are the gateway to getting NIL deals from them.

The thing is, this QB, Sluka, has already participated 3 years as a student athlete at another program. He also has one more year of eligibility. He probably chose the school because of being able to have a chance to start and getting what was “promised to him”. His agent should have gotten in writing the NIL deal so as to sign it at the same time signing his commitment. Otherwise, there is no binding agreement documented. A hard lesson to learn before going into the professional football business. Personally, IMO he never wanted to play for the school on the helmet, but rather the name on the back of his jersey. Basically, just for individual achievement. The wrong sport to do that. He’s quitting on his teammates and while it’s early, a possible shot for the team to make the playoffs.

I'm not condemning the kid for leaving; it's his right. But he and/or his representatives should have understood that a $100K contract should have been signed with UNLV's collective at the same time he transferred there.
UNLV collective is saying that they will not sign or do anything until said student is a UNLV athlete. This is why they are refusing to pay. I have no doubt that the kid was promised the money, and most likely by someone without the authority to do so. The Booster collective was pissed and said they weren’t paying. Typical short sightedness by all involved. I don’t think they believed the kid would follow through with the threat. He did, now they are hosed by the optics for when they go recruiting.

The "free tuition" propaganda has been a joke for decades. Big schools already get all the top players. This is how the US system works in almost all areas. Everything goes to the top

If you can't pay for it, you can't have it. Why should this be different for a college football business?

He’s quitting on his teammates
The school is quitting on the team.

I know you wrote all of that mess with a straight face but I don't know why you think anyone would read it all once your bias becomes clear in the first paragraph.

Let's stop the free education BS. It doesn't pass the smell test.

Just tried to put some money on this matchup today...and its off the board.

Obviously wanted to take Fresno and points...should of known if would be off for wagering..

Last edited:
The school is quitting on the team.

I know you wrote all of that mess with a straight face but I don't know why you think anyone would read it all once your bias becomes clear in the first paragraph.

Let's stop the free education BS. It doesn't pass the smell test.

The school is quitting? How? They had 5 QB rostered, including 3 seniors. There are 4 other QBs on the team. They will replace Sluka with one of them. How is that any different if a QB was injured? Doesn’t matter, realistically probably the last we will hear his name mentioned.

My bias at what? The kid is thinking for himself instead of his team? Tell me how I’m wrong. He signed for a scholarship, he’s committed to it. He says he was “told” he would get at least $100k. Where is that in writing? He should have requested that at the same time he committed to the school by accepting the scholarship. Otherwise it’s all hearsay. So, he leaves because he doesn’t get paid, and takes his last year of eligibility elsewhere via the portal. The team continues to play because the program had 4 other QBs. Who is quitting?

Whose smell test, yours? Seems you have a bias yourself. Presumably for a lack of understanding the topic or it’s just generational opinion.

The school is quitting? How? They had 5 QB rostered, including 3 seniors. There are 4 other QBs on the team. They will replace Sluka with one of them. How is that any different if a QB was injured? Doesn’t matter, realistically probably the last we will hear his name mentioned.

My bias at what? The kid is thinking for himself instead of his team? Tell me how I’m wrong. He signed for a scholarship, he’s committed to it. He says he was “told” he would get at least $100k. Where is that in writing? He should have requested that at the same time he committed to the school by accepting the scholarship. Otherwise it’s all hearsay. So, he leaves because he doesn’t get paid, and takes his last year of eligibility elsewhere via the portal. The team continues to play because the program had 4 other QBs. Who is quitting?

Whose smell test, yours? Seems you have a bias yourself. Presumably for a lack of understanding the topic or it’s just generational opinion.
Who cares where it is in writing? I'm giving you the memo since you haven't seen it yet:

The glory days of NCAA trading pennies for billions are over. Let me guess you're also against labor organizing. You just trust management to give us wages and benefits, profit sharing, insurance, COL increases

Who cares where it is in writing? I'm giving you the memo since you haven't seen it yet:

The glory days of NCAA trading pennies for billions are over. Let me guess you're also against labor organizing. You just trust management to give us wages and benefits, profit sharing, insurance, COL increases

Lord….if he was given a number by someone, anyone pertaining to NIL(like his agent), a document of the agreement is a binding contract. You know the pesky proof of something that exists. Unions call them collective bargain agreements, since you bring up unions. What memo are you talking about? I have t seen one, only a “verbal promise”. Listen, the NCAA brought this whole issue on to themselves by allowing NIL without any formal rules/regulations to separate the academia from student athletes. There needs to be an action plan on NIL transparency, because you can’t trust the programs. However, They have their issues, but without the NCAA, college programs would cheat their brains out. So, it’s a necessary monolith to keep programs in check. It’s not perfect, but it’s something.

Why do you always bring politics into the discussion? That’s not for the football board, that’s for the other non-monitored board. Keep it there.

Lord….if he was given a number by someone, anyone pertaining to NIL(like his agent), a document of the agreement is a binding contract. You know the pesky proof of something that exists. Unions call them collective bargain agreements, since you bring up unions. What memo are you talking about? I have t seen one, only a “verbal promise”. Listen, the NCAA brought this whole issue on to themselves by allowing NIL without any formal rules/regulations to separate the academia from student athletes. There needs to be an action plan on NIL transparency, because you can’t trust the programs. However, They have their issues, but without the NCAA, college programs would cheat their brains out. So, it’s a necessary monolith to keep programs in check. It’s not perfect, but it’s something.

Why do you always bring politics into the discussion? That’s not for the football board, that’s for the other non-monitored board. Keep it there.
You are absolutely correct sir