• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

US Senator Proposes Legislation To Re-value US Gold Reserves To Buy Bitcoin

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
My brain is still trying to figure out why?

"The plan is in fact the much more modest one of having the gov't acquire 1 million in BTC, or about $64 billion worth. And the Fed would not actually be acquiring any (though it would be involved in the process). The Treasury alone would acquire them.

How? It would take advantage of the gold in Ft. Knox, which is presently officially valued at about 1/6oth of its actual market value, which is presently about $353 billion. Step one is to have the Treasury revalue that gold at its true market worth.

To realize on that tidy gain, the Treasury would give the Fed fresh new gold certificates equal to it. (The Fed originally swapped gold certificates for the Fed's actual gold when it confiscated the latter in 1934, _before_ officially devaluing the dollar.)

The Fed would in turn credit the Treasury General (Fed) account by the value of the extra certificate. That is, it would have an extra $347 billion or so in extra assets backing a like increase in its liabilties, with all the latter consisting of a BIG fresh TGA deposit.

The Treasury could then buy $64 billion of BTC using just a fraction of its windfall. Easy!

But...there is always a but.

First, every amount the Treasury spends out of its TGA balance adds as much to bank reserves. So this plan will add at least $64 billion to those reserves, and could add as much as $347 billion, or more than a 10% increase.

And the Fed must pay interest on those reserves, though it will not have any corresponding interest-earning assets to pay it with, for gold certificates are not interest bearing.
In the long-run, as I noted earlier, the Fed must earn enough revenue on its portfolio to cover its operating expenses, including interest on reserves. Otherwise we run into the Willem Buiter problem mentioned earlier.

In this case the problem is much less serious than in the scenario I considered earlier, in which the Fed backed bank reserves _entirely_ with non-interest-earning Bitcoin! Still, it will reduce the Fed's long-run capacity to remain self-financing.

And that's something to be concerned about, since the Fed is already resorting the accounting legerdemain of booking "deferred assets" to deal with its revenue shortfalls, and that trick only makes sense when as long as it's able to make up for the shortfalls someday. (End.)"

Who owns the Fed?

Who owns the Fed?

thumbs-up-asian.gif

I've always thought of bitcoin as a bullshit scam. Am I wrong? I have serious reservations about it in general.

Reactions: xjx
I've always thought of bitcoin as a bullshit scam. Am I wrong? I have serious reservations about it in general.
Like all currencies, BTC is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it at the time you wish to spend it.

The USD is used for most commodities, especially oil (thanks to Nixon/Kissinger), so it remains of strong value because of demand, even in the face of massive supply. At the margin, it has great liquidity and thus value. This is greatly under-appreciated by most Americans. It is also bolstered by 7 aircraft carriers.

BTC is more like gold in that it has a scarcity and yet still demand, so it has perceived value. Every attempt to make BTC tradeable into another currency, like gold, simply increases it's short term value.
In the longer term, it's value is harder to predict, because it's easy to imagine, say, the US saying one day that it will not accept BTC to strengthen the USD.

BTC has scarcity and a growing history, but no warships or economy behind it. And no kleptocracy shaving value from it.

I'm a big crypto guy, I own a bunch of different coins, BTC is one of them. Although, I don't own a whole bitcoin, I own fractions called Satoshis, think of them like cents on the dollar. They're named after the "supposed" creator of BitCoin Satoshi Nakamoto. I say "supposed" because no one has ever come forward with proof of creating BitCoin. So, it just appeared out of thin air. A movement was started within the crypto community against "fiat" currency like the dollar and Euro during the great recession and a boom started with people like myself seeing digital payments as the eventual future of commerce and bitcoin became a Houshold name.

But, keep in mind, that someone somewhere created this system of commerce of anonymity to buy and sell anything and everything with no trace other than a digital ID on a public ledger called the blockchain. I might have lost people with that last part. The block chain records a transaction like a receipt, and then sends that record to thousands of individual books for safe keeping. The transaction cannot be edited or deleted. But, the ID of the buyer and seller are Hexadecimal integers tied to no real ID, so garbology gook like 6C486g89h2bb49pa42 as an example. So, who would want to be able to create untraceable money out of thin air and transact without being identified? Sound like a three-letter agency who "supposedly" uses drug trafficking to fund operations that Congress wont fund? hmmmmm...

I treat Bitcoin as digital gold as the coin itself isn't very useful in the digital payment system. It could take 10-20 minutes to be verified and who has time to stand in line at Starbucks for that long to get a coffee? There are many other coins that are useful for this and others that are used for digital assets, providing commerce to unbanked countries (Africa), end a lot of other things.

Hope this helps.

I'm a big crypto guy, I own a bunch of different coins, BTC is one of them. Although, I don't own a whole bitcoin, I own fractions called Satoshis, think of them like cents on the dollar. They're named after the "supposed" creator of BitCoin Satoshi Nakamoto. I say "supposed" because no one has ever come forward with proof of creating BitCoin. So, it just appeared out of thin air. A movement was started within the crypto community against "fiat" currency like the dollar and Euro during the great recession and a boom started with people like myself seeing digital payments as the eventual future of commerce and bitcoin became a Houshold name.

But, keep in mind, that someone somewhere created this system of commerce of anonymity to buy and sell anything and everything with no trace other than a digital ID on a public ledger called the blockchain. I might have lost people with that last part. The block chain records a transaction like a receipt, and then sends that record to thousands of individual books for safe keeping. The transaction cannot be edited or deleted. But, the ID of the buyer and seller are Hexadecimal integers tied to no real ID, so garbology gook like 6C486g89h2bb49pa42 as an example. So, who would want to be able to create untraceable money out of thin air and transact without being identified? Sound like a three-letter agency who "supposedly" uses drug trafficking to fund operations that Congress wont fund? hmmmmm...

I treat Bitcoin as digital gold as the coin itself isn't very useful in the digital payment system. It could take 10-20 minutes to be verified and who has time to stand in line at Starbucks for that long to get a coffee? There are many other coins that are useful for this and others that are used for digital assets, providing commerce to unbanked countries (Africa), end a lot of other things.

Hope this helps.

Thank you to both of you! That was an excellent explanation. I've only read small bits and pieces about it.

I did see a video of a guy with a truckload of computers set up mining bitcoin 24/7 and was like wtf is that?..haha.

I can always count on SN for information on subjects I know nothing about.

Hell, our covid thread is a master class on all sorts of things from mutated man made viruse structure to pharmaceutical deception and fraud.

Hope this helps.
I was going to ask for an English translation, but it is now obvious that will not really help. 🤣

I bet that Senator and a few others like him have Bitcoin mining operations set up as a side hustle. I understand that if you can invest a lot of money to mine it, you'll reap the rewards. Like the old saying goes, it takes money to make money.

My amateur opinion is that Bitcoin is too volatile to invest government money in.
I know conventional investing but I have no idea what Bitcoin mining is or how it works.

Reactions: xjx
My amateur opinion is that Bitcoin is too volatile to invest government money in.
I know conventional investing but I have no idea what Bitcoin mining is or how it works.
essentially, you use a computer with mining software on it, you join a "pool" of other users to increase the computing power (collective) which solves computations until a valid bitcoin is found (mined) which goes into a wallet. Wallets can be a software program, application, or hardware (USB Stick) made to store the bitcoin.

The issue is that you need a hell of a lot of compute power, which draws a **** ton of electricity, and it really isn't profitable for us small guys. For instance, one group bought an old mill and used hydro power to run a large server farm to make it profitable to mine. Pulling straight off the grid costs more in electricity than you earn mining. <-- this was during the crypto winter when BTC and Ethereum were dirt cheap. It may be profitable right now with the highs.

I bet that Senator and a few others like him have Bitcoin mining operations set up as a side hustle. I understand that if you can invest a lot of money to mine it, you'll reap the rewards. Like the old saying goes, it takes money to make money.
It takes a huge amount of energy to crank these things out, which is very wasteful....

It takes a huge amount of energy to crank these things out, which is very wasteful....
Not if you have a herd if unicorns farting rainbows as a power source.

essentially, you use a computer with mining software on it, you join a "pool" of other users to increase the computing power (collective) which solves computations until a valid bitcoin is found (mined) which goes into a wallet. Wallets can be a software program, application, or hardware (USB Stick) made to store the bitcoin.

The issue is that you need a hell of a lot of compute power, which draws a **** ton of electricity, and it really isn't profitable for us small guys. For instance, one group bought an old mill and used hydro power to run a large server farm to make it profitable to mine. Pulling straight off the grid costs more in electricity than you earn mining. <-- this was during the crypto winter when BTC and Ethereum were dirt cheap. It may be profitable right now with the highs.
So where are the bitcoins? Are you just scouring the interwebs looking for sales transactions, and trying to buy them up? Or does the bitcoin god own power stocks and gives coins out as a reward for electricity usage ?

Not if you have a herd if unicorns farting rainbows as a power source.
Maybe some of them city protestors could work on some farms as cow farther catchers, saving the planet and providing fuel for the bitcoin powerplants?

Maybe some of them city protestors could work on some farms as cow farther catchers, saving the planet and providing fuel for the bitcoin powerplants?
We looked into as a family, as we have many cows. Cow farts don’t have the requisite magical properties of unicorns. We had hoped to get in that game. Figured we could collect cow farts like they do maple sap. 🤣🤣🤣

Okay, thanks. I still don’t understand it.

Okay, thanks. I still don’t understand it.
The miners use massive amounts of energy to resolve, as a group, increasingly complicated math problems, whose answer benefits no one, to generate a shared bitcoin as the result, thusly severely limiting these coins that no one has ever seen.

It's like these folks never thought that maybe they should stop using all this energy that is effectively wasted and use those resources to you know, feed people, buy medicines for people, stop wars, etc.

The miners use massive amounts of energy to resolve, as a group, increasingly complicated math problems, whose answer benefits no one, to generate a shared bitcoin as the result, thusly severely limiting these coins that no one has ever seen.

It's like these folks never thought that maybe they should stop using all this energy that is effectively wasted and use those resources to you know, feed people, buy medicines for people, stop wars, etc.
When everything goes to **** and there's no power, I'd prefer gold

When everything goes to **** and there's no power, I'd prefer gold
Or guns to get that gold.

Or food to feed the guys with the guns.