• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Volvo Plans to Go Electric, to Abandon Conventional Car Engine by 2019

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
In the face of competition from upstarts like Tesla Inc., which begins production this week of its new mass-market Model 3 electric battery-powered family car, the Chinese-owned automotive group on Wednesday said all new Volvo models from 2019 would be either fully electric or a hybrid.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/volvo-to-phase-out-conventional-car-engine-1499227202

I don't do much short selling, but this seems like a golden opportunity. Tesla lost $13,000/car according to it's last quarterly report. Investors love Tesla, but for how long with those fundamentals? Neither Tesla nor Volvo are Amazon.

Bold move by Volvo.

I will miss naturally aspirated engines..

Well crap. Volvo Cars not public. Part of Chinese company Geely. (GELYF). Dunno how much Volvo Cars contributes to their revenue. To diluted probably for a short based on this.

Call me when it's 0-60 time is under 7 seconds, it has all wheel drive and it can go 400 miles between plug ins. And it doesn't have any ******* aluminum. Steel, baby!

Until they can make an electric motor sound like an internal combustion engine, It will be for nerds, snowflakes and the Martha Vineyard crowd....

You forgot to add in governmental mandates for electric vehicles, especially within governmental agencies. Or maybe they will be gone, soon.

Until they can make an electric motor sound like an internal combustion engine, It will be for nerds, snowflakes and the Martha Vineyard crowd....

No, there are hundreds of millions of cars on the road that sound nothing like that. I know a guy that has a classic muscle car, and a Escalade that also bought a Tesla.

Call me when it's 0-60 time is under 7 seconds, it has all wheel drive and it can go 400 miles between plug ins. And it doesn't have any ******* aluminum. Steel, baby!

2015 Tesla Model S P85D 'Ludicrous Speed' Upgrade Compare Car 0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.9

Not the 400 mile yet but pretty damn fast. True electrics have ridiculously fast acceleration.

Isn't there a gizmo that can be plugged into the car stereo that makes a snowflakes Pirus sound like a 427 Shelby Cobra?

Isn't there a gizmo that can be plugged into the car stereo that makes a snowflakes Pirus sound like a 427 Shelby Cobra?

There's a woman that I see at least once a week on my drive home. She's a snowflake with a green Prius that has a Bomma hope sticker on it. She sets her cruise control at 1 mile below the speed limit. Every time I pass her I honk, glare at her and usually flip her off, but she never looks at me. Hands at 10 and two, eyes straight ahead. Makes me so frickin mad. I'm going to try laying on the horn until she has to look over.

I don't want to have to choose between heat and making it up the hill to my house in the winter.

Look, electric cars are a great innovation. I think that an electric car that can go 400 miles, as Indy mentioned, will happen. I also understand that electric cars have improved significantly in terms of acceleration and top speed.

Innovation is awesome.

But keep in mind that gas-powered vehicles are funding this innovation. Massive tax revenues from gas taxes allow the Fed to subsidize electric vehicles. At some point, the electric cars need to pay their own way.

And I definitely root for that day. Gasoline powered vehicles create air pollution. No need for that if an electric car can function similarly to a gasoline-powered vehicle, at comparable price.

Tesla's lower-priced model 3 to start production Friday

NEW YORK - Tesla's first lower-priced Model 3 will roll off the assembly line Friday, two weeks early, CEO Elon Musk announced

"Model 3 passed all regulatory requirements for production two weeks ahead of schedule. Expecting to complete SN1 on Friday," Musk wrote on Twitter, referring to the first car as "serial number 1."

The production of the electric car aimed at the broader market -- with a price of $35,000 -- is expected to ramp up quickly, Musk said, with 100 in August and 1,500 or more in September.

"Handover party for first 30 customer Model 3's on the 28th!" he said.

"Production grows exponentially," Musk tweeted. "Looks like we can reach 20,000 Model 3 cars per month in Dec."

Tesla aims to produce 10,000 units a week in 2018.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/automobiles/30319831

section-initial-touch.jpg

Silver-Tesla-Model-3-interior-cupholder-touchscreen.jpg

gallery-2.jpg

Meh id market engines that can burn Hydrogen or petrol... the car could be used anywhere as the infrastructure changes and hydrogen engines are clean and safe when done right

No, there are hundreds of millions of cars on the road that sound nothing like that. I know a guy that has a classic muscle car, and a Escalade that also bought a Tesla.

Hundreds of millions ? Then you top it off with...I know a guy.

th

Yes they do but there are still some problems with the logistics. The slot needs redesigned.a tad to accommodate the gizmo thingy....LOL

blown-1.jpg

And here I was looking to buy a zl1 camero next year and boosting it up over 1000 hp.. The hell with roaring engines I'm going electric...

Hundreds of millions ?

Well... How many cars are there on the road today? How many of them sound nothing like a 65 Mustang 289? So, yes, hundreds of millions. How is that not obvious?

Tesla's lower-priced model 3 to start production Friday

NEW YORK - Tesla's first lower-priced Model 3 will roll off the assembly line Friday, two weeks early, CEO Elon Musk announced

"Model 3 passed all regulatory requirements for production two weeks ahead of schedule. Expecting to complete SN1 on Friday," Musk wrote on Twitter, referring to the first car as "serial number 1."

The production of the electric car aimed at the broader market -- with a price of $35,000 -- is expected to ramp up quickly, Musk said, with 100 in August and 1,500 or more in September.

"Handover party for first 30 customer Model 3's on the 28th!" he said.

"Production grows exponentially," Musk tweeted. "Looks like we can reach 20,000 Model 3 cars per month in Dec."

Tesla aims to produce 10,000 units a week in 2018.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/automobiles/30319831

section-initial-touch.jpg

Silver-Tesla-Model-3-interior-cupholder-touchscreen.jpg

gallery-2.jpg
That looks like an iPad glued to a dashboard. Yuck.

See here's the thing about electric cars: most electricity is still generated by burning fossil fuel so really this accomplishes nothing. If we go to all electric powered vehicles you will just be centralizing where the fuel is burned.

Reactions: MTC
The lines of the car are attractive, but gotta agree, that interior leaves a lot to be desired.