• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Walmart closing all Portland, OR stores

But that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about thieves coming to steal in the burbs because all the urban locations are closed. It has nothing to do with the type of desperation you described. We are talking about people stealing because they can. The insinuation was that if they tried in the burbs, they would get double tapped. I disagree. Some thug from the city stealing some cheap **** at a suburban Walmart isn't worth life in prison.
You’re right of course. I was carrying it a stretch too far. Although history does say that **** can escalate quickly,from what many people would say,minor beginnings

As I get older,I get more cynical and to be honest frustrations set in. I swore I’d never talk the way my parents talk about their old days and do the same. But I can’t help myself. Whatever happened to working your *** off to get something. Keeping your snout to yourself and yours. Instead of life being an open book for everyone to see. Government getting involved in absolutely everything,creating red tape in absolutely every venture you want to undertake.

Maybe not quite yet Sarge. But give it time. People will protect family. You’ve obviously been to areas of desperation in the world. My Dad grew up in Europe during the war. He rarely takes about it. But the few things he said always stick in my mind. He starved during the war. He would say you’ve never seen desperation until you realize you can’t feed your kids,spouse,yourself. In other words,family. He would say people turn into the basic form. Animals. Anything goes. And everything did. Let’s pray that the type of devastation that happened on European soil never reaches North America.
My grandparents left Italy to escape Mussolini's terrible regime..
What little money they worked hard to aquired here ......I bet most of it went to food!
My grandmother used to always say ...this is America...you eat something!
mangiare! mangiare!

What little money they worked hard to aquired here ......I bet most of it went to food!
mangiare! mangiare!
Dino......I just read this book called Mussolini’s daughter. Took me awhile,hard read. But fascinating.

Remember in around the 1980’s there was a ton of press about what the people in the USSR had to go through just to buy bread,milk etc? Lineups forever,lucky to get anything etc.

I remember shopping in a typical huge grocery store at the time......fresh,fruit,veggies,meat galore. I looked over and there was an old couple,with tears streaming down their faces,mouth open in astonishment. The person they were with was standing by the side and I discreetly asked what was going on. His grandparents had just come over and from the airport they were doing a quick shop. They were in utter denial that this existed. The things we take for granted.

Dino......I just read this book called Mussolini’s daughter. Took me awhile,hard read. But fascinating.

Remember in around the 1980’s there was a ton of press about what the people in the USSR had to go through just to buy bread,milk etc? Lineups forever,lucky to get anything etc.

I remember shopping in a typical huge grocery store at the time......fresh,fruit,veggies,meat galore. I looked over and there was an old couple,with tears streaming down their faces,mouth open in astonishment. The person they were with was standing by the side and I discreetly asked what was going on. His grandparents had just come over and from the airport they were doing a quick shop. They were in utter denial that this existed. The things we take for granted.
I'm anything but a world traveler, however, when my kids were small, the family would drag the travel trailer and set it up on the beach in Rocky Pointe (Puerto Penasco), only about 200 miles from Phoenix on the Gulf of California. Going to a grocery there was eye opening. You couldn't go in looking for something, it was more of what do you have.

mangiare! mangiare!

I got this book for my dad a few years ago. It's mine now since he passed. Not real long but it's a great read.

I'll put $10 on not a damn thing.

Yeah no.

When you get outside Portland Oregon is pretty conservative. What will happen is security will do more than stand there without intervening. Police will be called and they will be arrested. There is a reason why most of the counties in Oregon want to become part of Idaho.

Out of Curiosity,in this thread. And not trying to make this a Portland,left or right thing. Nothing to do with it. Here is my question. For those that consider Walmart trash...ie China goods etc......do you consider Amazon the route of evil as well? My kids probably get 2-3 deliveries a week,do tons of shopping on Amazon. I am always telling them to get their ***** out into the fresh air and support their community shopping. I have never,and never will buy a ******* thing from Amazon. Have went to Walmart,but try to avoid. Tell me you people that hate Walmart so much......is Amazon any Better?
Only in that I don't have to go into Amazon and deal with the people and employees. Give a viable alternative for the things I buy there and I will gladly look at it. Manufacturing is the issue more than the retailer. They can't sell American made if there isn't any.

Only in that I don't have to go into Amazon and deal with the people and employees. Give a viable alternative for the things I buy there and I will gladly look at it. Manufacturing is the issue more than the retailer. They can't sell American made if there isn't any.
There is American made. The issue is American made is at least 3 times more expensive. People vote with their wallets on things like this.

Out of Curiosity,in this thread. And not trying to make this a Portland,left or right thing. Nothing to do with it. Here is my question. For those that consider Walmart trash...ie China goods etc......do you consider Amazon the route of evil as well? My kids probably get 2-3 deliveries a week,do tons of shopping on Amazon. I am always telling them to get their ***** out into the fresh air and support their community shopping. I have never,and never will buy a ******* thing from Amazon. Have went to Walmart,but try to avoid. Tell me you people that hate Walmart so much......is Amazon any Better?
The amazon I work at ships out for local businesses. We run similar to usps in it’s how people choose to ship.

We have legit business and some do sell counterfeit stuff. Amazon is pretty much an online flea market that

There is American made. The issue is American made is at least 3 times more expensive. People vote with their wallets on things like this.
I looked at Bill's Khakis once, they used to advertise on Limbaugh's show, made in USA, but I just looked and they're up to $185. I can't justify $185 for a pair of pants.

I looked at Bill's Khakis once, they used to advertise on Limbaugh's show, made in USA, but I just looked and they're up to $185. I can't justify $185 for a pair of pants.
On this I agree, being retired my wardrobe basically consists of jeans and tee shirts. I can't justify $100+ for a pair of blue jeans.
Tools for tinkering are another subject, if I can't afford what's made here, I'll simply get what I want used. I have plenty of time now to browse estate sales.