• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Was Steelers Running Back Le’Veon Bell the Best Day 2 Pick of Kevin Colbert’s Career?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Last week, we started our three-part series looking at Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and his best draft picks from each day of the draft during his tenure with the team. If you missed our article last week, go back and see who we ranked as Colbert’s top three first day draft picks over the past 20+ seasons.

This week, we are diving into Colbert’s day two draft picks which encompass the second and third round of the NFL Draft. Unlike day one, Colbert has largely struggled picking guys in the second and third round. A lot of players that Colbert has selected on day two have either flamed out after a few decent years, or went on to have an extended career for another organization. I am basing my list off the success the guys had just with the Steelers, so their career success with another team is not taken into account.

With that being said, here are my top three picks from Colbert during his time as general manager of the Steelers:

3. Lamar Woodley

Woodley was a second round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft and spent seven seasons in the black and gold. The University of Michigan product came in right away and produced for the Steelers. During his seven seasons in Pittsburgh, he recorded 57 sacks, 5 interceptions, 9 forced fumbles and over 300 tackles. Woodley recorded double digit sacks in three straight seasons and earned All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors after his 2009 season in which he had 13.5 sacks.

Steelers Woodley

Ultimately Woodley was plagued by injuries and released before he finished off his second contract, but his impact with the Steelers was huge. He was a large part of the Steelers 2008 Super Bowl victory and a part of the team that also made it to the 2010 Super Bowl as well. Even though he didn’t have the longest career, his seven seasons with the Steelers were very impactful.

MORE KEVIN COLBERT STORIES​

2. Diontae Johnson

As I said in the introduction, Colbert’s success on day two has not been good. With that being said, I strongly believe that Johnson has been just as successful and instrumental to Pittsburgh’s success as any other player drafted on day two by Colbert over the past two decades. Even though he is still young and I believe his best football is ahead of him, Johnson has made a name for himself as one of the best wide outs in football.

Kevin Colbert Diontae Johnson

Steelers wide receiver Diontae Johnson during warmups at Heinz Field. | Twitter: @JSKO_PHOTO

A third round pick in the 2019 draft, Johnson came in right away and quickly established himself as Pittsburgh’s number one receiver. Johnson, who played his rookie year without Hall of Fame quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, has over 2,700 receiving yards and 250 catches in his first three years as a Steeler. He was named to his first Pro Bowl this year and was snubbed of an All-Pro selection as well. Johnson is one of the great separators in football and has established himself as one of the best in the game. If Johnson is able to stay healthy and is a part of Pittsburgh for another contract, then he could easily be number one on this list in five years. However, based on his limited sample size, it’s hard to rank him above the guy who topped my list.

1. Le’Veon Bell

Bell was a second round pick by the Steelers in the 2013 NFL Draft and spent five years playing for Pittsburgh. During his tenure with the Steelers, he established himself as the best running back in the game and was transitioning the way running backs played the position. Unfortunately, Bell’s time in Pittsburgh came to an end due to contract disputes and he’s ultimately flamed out of the league very quickly, but his five-year career was one for the books.

Bell came in right away as a rookie and produced. During his five seasons in Pittsburgh, he amassed over 5,300 yards on the ground to go along with 35 scores. Perhaps more impressive than his rushing numbers were his receiving numbers. He caught 312 passes in five seasons for over 2,600 yards. He was named First Team All-Pro twice, Second Team All-Pro once, and made three Pro Bowls in just five years. Bell was on a Hall of Fame projection after his first five years, but after taking a year off in 2018 due to being franchise tagged for the second season in a row, he was never the same player. However, he will likely be remembered as a true bell cow back that briefly transformed the position of running back in the NFL and clearly Colbert’s best day two pick of his entire career.

MORE ON LE’VEON BELL​

Who do you think just missed the list? Was anyone ranked too high? Sound off in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

4th round draft pick Ivan Taylor would like to have a word with you.

Kendrell was a fantastic pick. All the talent, too bad he didn't want to work or practice to get better, he could have been an all time great.

I didn't realize he had a bad work ethic. I thought it was the injuries that really did him in.

And a couple names to also throw around, Marvel Smith and Antwaan Randle El. If Tuitt comes back with a fury, he may overtake all of these guys.

Kind of hard for Woodley to be on this list since he was taken on the first day of the NFL draft in 2007.

Semantics man. You know he's talking about 2nd round picks. And that draft produced some crazy good players IIRC.

Along with some epic busts in JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn.

Kind of hard for Woodley to be on this list since he was taken on the first day of the NFL draft in 2007.

LoL :ROFLMAO::LOL::p:D:oops::rolleyes:

14th pick 2nd round,........................................ I can see the confusion as back then the 2nd round was still on the first day.

Salute the nation

I was confused - I thought the OP was talking about Day 2 picks for real....then I reread it and the lights came on...

I didn't realize he had a bad work ethic. I thought it was the injuries that really did him in.

And a couple names to also throw around, Marvel Smith and Antwaan Randle El. If Tuitt comes back with a fury, he may overtake all of these guys.
He mentioned it as being the reason his NFL career was so short. He didn't take rehab or practice seriously. He coasted on god given talent, which he had in spades!

He mentioned it as being the reason his NFL career was so short. He didn't take rehab or practice seriously. He coasted on god given talent, which he had in spades!
I remember that Cleveland playoff game he hurt his ankle in the 1st half , got shot up and came in and had an incredible second half.
loved the guy.