• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Washington Post sharply criticizes Justice Ginsburg’s Trump comments

Spike

Reaction score
The editorial boards for both the New York Times and the Washington Post took issue with Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s recent musings about presumptive Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.

Each paper editorialized this week that Supreme Court justices should hold back from broadcasting their preferences in the presidential race because it could question their impartiality.

Neither the Times nor the Post challenged Ginsburg’s assessment of Trump as egotistical, inconsistent and unqualified for the Oval Office. Nevertheless, her comments would have been better left unspoken, according to the newspapers.

“As journalists, we generally favor more openness and disclosure from public figures rather than less,” the Post wrote on Tuesday. “Yet Justice Ginsburg’s off-the-cuff remarks about the campaign fall into that limited category of candor that we can’t admire, because it’s inconsistent with her function in our democratic system.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nyt-wapo-criticize-justice-ginsburg-000000574.html

------------------------------

GET HER OUT! Unfit for duty!

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
Justice Ginsburg of the U.S. Supreme Court has embarrassed all by making very dumb political statements about me. Her mind is shot - resign!

Impeach!

Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s unhinged assault on Trump

Imagine if one of the conservative justices had said such a thing about the prospect of, say, a President Hillary Clinton. There’d be a cacophony of calls for impeachment. Or at least demands that the justice recuse herself in cases involving Clinton.

Remember what happened when Justice Antonin Scalia, on a hunting trip in Louisiana, fetched up in a duck blind with Vice President Dick Cheney? Even though Scalia never made any political comments, the controversy rattled on for weeks.

The New York Times got so upset about it that it demanded that the other eight justices on the Supreme Court step in and remove Scalia from a case involving the vice president. The court ignored the Gray Lady’s advice.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/11/ruth-bader-ginsburgs-unhinged-assault-on-trump/

----------------------------

Ginsburg facing blowback for anti-Trump comments

"I find it baffling actually that she says these things," said Arthur Hellman, a law professor at the University of Pittsburgh. "She must know that she shouldn’t be. However tempted she might be, she shouldn’t be doing it."

Similarly, Howard Wolfson, a former top aide to Hillary Clinton and former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, said Ginsburg shouldn't have said it.

Of course, Ginsburg is a progressive, so she thinks she can get away with it. Were Clarence Thomas to insert himself in a presidential race, there would be an organized movement to impeach him, with massive media coverage.

But Ginsburg is also issuing an open invitation for demands that she recuse herself in the future, should the unthinkable happen and Trump wins or contests a decision

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog...g_facing_blowback_for_antitrump_comments.html

BAM!

Trump demands Ginsburg resign for criticizing him as unfit

WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump called Wednesday for Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to resign for saying publicly that she feels he is unfit to be president. Lashing out, Trump said the 83-year-old justice's "mind is shot."

"Justice Ginsburg of the U.S. Supreme Court has embarrassed all by making very dumb political statements about me," the presumptive Republican presidential nominee wrote in an early morning tweet on @realDonaldTrump. "Her mind is shot — resign!"

Ginsburg said in an interview with The Associated Press last week that she didn't want to think about the possibility that Trump would be president and predicted that Democrat Hillary Clinton will win and have a few appointments to make to the Supreme Court.

It is highly unusual for a sitting justice to weigh in so publicly on a political campaign, though Ginsburg is known for speaking her mind on other issues and is celebrated as a liberal icon known to fans as Notorious RBG.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/eff3...demands-ginsburg-resign-criticizing-him-unfit

What a circus.

Do we seriously have a supreme court justice whom fans have monikered as a rapper? "Notorious RBG?

Dear God! I'm just sayin'... How can ANYONE in the world take the United States seriously?

The Brits have gone off the liberal deep end too

Wolf whistling to become a HATE crime: Police force starts recording 'uninvited verbal engagement' from men to women in the same category as racist abuse

A police force revealed today it has become Britain’s first to recognize misogyny as a hate crime.

Nottinghamshire Police is recording incidents such as street harassment, verbal abuse, unwanted physical approaches and taking photographs without consent within the hate crime definition.

It also includes using mobile phones to send unwanted messages, unwanted sexual advances and ‘unwanted or uninvited physical or verbal contact or engagement’, possibly including wolf whistling.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gagement-men-women-category-racist-abuse.html

-------------------------------------------

ezgif.com-optimize000.gif

Ginsburg is an embarrassment. I recall a time when Supreme Court justices cared less about their own personal biases and predilections, and more about reasoned decisions based on the law.

Those days are obviously past. The current group of justices from the fairer sex remind me of the opening scene of Macbeth.

three-witches-007.jpg

Ho-lee ****, the one on the right looks exactly like Ginsburg.

Wow. Not so fast. Not so fast. There is an election that needs to happen first.

True. Irrational, compulsive thinking on my part. We don't want Bammy appointing another Justice.

Or she needs to be Scalia'd
Either way she crossed the line...oops!

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/07/...-ginsburg-just-crossed-a-very-important-line/

Rick Hasen, a law professor at the University of California at Irvine, said it’s valid to question how Ginsburg might have to handle a potential Trump case – up to and including a Clinton v. Trump case.

“I think this is ultimately a question for judicial ethicists, but I do think following these comments it is a legitimate question to raise, should Donald Trump’s campaign come to the Court with any legal questions before the election,” Hasen wrote on his blog.

It’s not clear that there is any real precedent for what Ginsburg just did.

Then-Justice Sandra Day O’Connor was criticized by some in 2000 after Newsweek reported her saying, “This is terrible,” at an election-night watch party after Florida was prematurely called for Al Gore. Some argued that she should have recused herself from Bush v. Gore.

Ginsburg’s comments are and will surely continue to be celebrated on the political left. For those concerned about the line between the judiciary and politics, though, the comments could be the subject of plenty of debate – the kind of debate that could set a precedent of its own.

She violated Canon 5

http://www.uscourts.gov/judges-judgeships/code-conduct-united-states-judges

Canon 5: A Judge Should Refrain from Political Activity

(A) General Prohibitions. A judge should not:

(1) act as a leader or hold any office in a political organization;

(2) make speeches for a political organization or candidate, or publicly endorse or oppose a candidate for public office; or

(3) solicit funds for, pay an assessment to, or make a contribution to a political organization or candidate, or attend or purchase a ticket for a dinner or other event sponsored by a political organization or candidate.

(B) Resignation upon Candidacy. A judge should resign the judicial office if the judge becomes a candidate in a primary or general election for any office.

(C) Other Political Activity. A judge should not engage in any other political activity. This provision does not prevent a judge from engaging in activities described in Canon 4.

COMMENTARY

The term “political organization” refers to a political party, a group affiliated with a political party or candidate for public office, or an entity whose principal purpose is to advocate for or against political candidates or parties in connection with elections for public office.

The Brits have gone off the liberal deep end too

-------------------------------------------

ezgif.com-optimize000.gif

That is how you be great.

Is this what OFTB is up to now that she stopped posting here?

What a circus.

Do we seriously have a supreme court justice whom fans have monikered as a rapper? "Notorious RBG?

yes. we do

Even Trump’s enemies are taking his side in battle with Ginsburg

WASHINGTON — They call her “Notorious RBG” — and Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg lived up to that name this week by starting an epic battle with Donald Trump, in which she publicly denounced the presumptive GOP nominee in a rant that even fellow liberals have described as beneath a member of the High Court.

Some experts even theorized that Ginsburg’s partisan outburst makes her too biased to rule on cases involving Trump — especially if the election were to wind up in the hands of the Supreme Court as it did in 2000.

“A federal law requires all federal judges, including the justices, to recuse themselves if their ‘impartiality might reasonably be questioned,’ ” Stephen Gillers, a legal ethicist at New York University School of Law, told CNN.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/13/even-trumps-enemies-are-taking-his-side-in-battle-with-ginsburg/

pageone.jpg

Slapped down

Impeach!

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: I Regret 'Ill-Advised' Criticisms of Donald Trump

"On reflection, my recent remarks in response to press inquiries were ill-advised and I regret making them," Ginsburg said in a statement issued by the court. "Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office. In the future I will be more circumspect."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...t-ill-advised-criticisms-donald-trump-n609291

"Justice Ginsburg of the U.S. Supreme Court has embarrassed all by making very dumb political statements about me," the presumptive Republican presidential nominee wrote in an early morning tweet on @realDonaldTrump. "Her mind is shot — resign!"
Quite a statement from a man who claimed his political opponent's father was involved in the Kennedy assassination because he read it in the Enquirer.

Quite a statement from a man who claimed his political opponent's father was involved in the Kennedy assassination because he read it in the Enquirer.

And then, maybe , he is right.

She violated Canon 5

Maybe but the Washington Post is just pissed that she let the cat out of the bag, so to speak. They agree with her politically.
The Washington Times has the more Conservative leanings.

They should lock her in a room with Gowdy and Issa and have them scowl at her for a few hours and then issue a stern public reprimand and then everyone can forget it.

Slapped down

Impeach!

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: I Regret 'Ill-Advised' Criticisms of Donald Trump

"On reflection, my recent remarks in response to press inquiries were ill-advised and I regret making them," Ginsburg said in a statement issued by the court. "Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office. In the future I will be more circumspect."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...t-ill-advised-criticisms-donald-trump-n609291

In the future??? How many more presidential elections does she plan on sticking around for? Isn't she like 90?

I'll cut her some slack this one time

694940094001_4052376378001_Buzzed.jpg
Oh the short memory. The demigod of the GOP is Ronald Reagan who spent the last third of his Presidency afflicted with Alzheimers and his wife running the show. Hillary won't be the first woman president. Nancy was. But who is counting.