• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Way too early mock draft

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Would like to hear what people are thinking about positions of need. It is way too early to predict where people will be drafted or even where the Steelers will draft. So here are some players I think fit and about where they are rated to go. 2nd half of first round, second round, and so on.

RD1- Cooper DeJean DB Iowa
Swiss army knife player. He can play Outside, inside, safety and returns punts. Trice looked good in camp but is coming off a serious injury. And Pat Pete has been below average. This gives us an option outside if Trice isn't capable, inside if Peterson keeps showing his age, or even safety opposite of Fitz.

RD2- Sedrick Van Pran OC Georgia
Not a lot of great centers in this draft so the Steelers get the best of the bunch. Might not have the movement skills of a Dirt or Pouncey but he is every bit as nasty and mean. He is a good technician and should easily take over for Mason Cole sooner than later. Can also play guard with his size if needed.

RD3- Blake Corum RB Michigan
I don't think the Steelers 5th year Najee. I feel they can sign Warren reasonable and have a rookie contract for Corum for 4 years. I do like Najee but I don't see him re-signing for a reasonable price tag.

RD4rams- Tory Horton WR Colorado State
Tall skinny receiver with above average wheels and hands. Is dangerous in space. Natural hands catcher. 2024 is the final year of DJ's deal and this should help protect us if he leaves in free agency. Also, Pickens antics can't be ignored. Better to have more depth than too little.

RD4- Jordan Travis QB FSU
I very much doubt Canada is around next year and I feel that will be the make or break year for Pickett. This gives JT a year to sit as the #3 QB and learn and perhaps compete in 2025. Travis is an above average passer, has good legs and athleticism, and has lots of experience. His age likely drops him in the draft process but there's lot of film to see. He has consistently improved every year and it looks like 2023 will be his best yet.

RD6- Keith Randolph Jr DL Illinois
Randolph Jr. is an undersized DT who has played a lot of football over the B gap and on top of the tackle. Which is where we are going to want him. Had a 13 tfl and 4.5 sack season in 2022 but numbers are a little down this year. Need to watch more film but I feel he would at the very least provide additional depth.

RD7- Javon Foster OT Missouri
He is a little undersized and not the most athletic but his nasty demeanor and ability in the run game has allowed him to hold on to the LT spot in the SEC the last few season. I feel Chuks will be gone in 2024 and Moore will be moved to RT where he has already stated he doesn't want to play. This will give us some insurance in 2025 if Moore leaves via free agency.

Obviously need can change drastically between now and the draft but I feel this would be a draft that would hit most of our needs appropriately. Let me know what you think and I would greatly appreciate it if the insults from the peanut gallery was kept to the minimum.

I found this, which resembles what you've got:

that said, I'd opt more for:
1. Graham Barton - dude is literally the swiss army knife of the offensive line, but is better at C. Seems that is the position we most need to upgrade on the roster.

2. Jeremiah Trotter - ILB that we desperately need.... as close of a need as we do C, but since we addressed C in the first...

3. Ruke Orhorhoro - Combined with Barton, we just made the inside of the DL a solid wall. Although some draft sites have him going significantly higher, if he fell this far, Kahn would do his Colbert impersonation and sprint to the podium

4. Javon Bullard - dipping into the Georgia talent pool again, but he's similar in size and play to Cam Sutton. We'd have a very intriguing, talented and young secondary with Peezy Jr, Trice, Rush and Bullard.

5. Jack Nelson - Another interior OL. and why not, since Daniels is a FA after next season and Seumalo is a FA after the 2025 season.

6. Jaylen Wright - nearly identical in height/weight to Warren and has a similar game. That is, if we let Najee go.

7. Tyler Baron - hit up Tennessee again, as Baron is a pass rusher, but would likely be JAG and a special teamer.

interestingly, there will be a number of good/high quality QBs in this draft.

Crybaby Williams, Michael Penix, Bo Nix, Shedeur Sanders, JJ McCarthy, and Jayden Daniels top the list. some team may want to trade up and we're in good spots to make trades.

DeJean is a popular pick for the Steelers. Personally, I'd still be looking at the best DL possible. Benton is looking good but Cam is done in a year or two. Ogunjobi is no spring chicken even though they just signed him. I still think our DL is a big part of our problem and they need a huge body to stuff the run and get a push in the middle on passing downs. It would not surprise me to see a WR picked in the first 3 rounds and a RB not far behind especially if they don't pick up Najee's 5th year option.

I found this, which resembles what you've got:

that said, I'd opt more for:
1. Graham Barton - dude is literally the swiss army knife of the offensive line, but is better at C. Seems that is the position we most need to upgrade on the roster.

2. Jeremiah Trotter - ILB that we desperately need.... as close of a need as we do C, but since we addressed C in the first...

3. Ruke Orhorhoro - Combined with Barton, we just made the inside of the DL a solid wall. Although some draft sites have him going significantly higher, if he fell this far, Kahn would do his Colbert impersonation and sprint to the podium

4. Javon Bullard - dipping into the Georgia talent pool again, but he's similar in size and play to Cam Sutton. We'd have a very intriguing, talented and young secondary with Peezy Jr, Trice, Rush and Bullard.

5. Jack Nelson - Another interior OL. and why not, since Daniels is a FA after next season and Seumalo is a FA after the 2025 season.

6. Jaylen Wright - nearly identical in height/weight to Warren and has a similar game. That is, if we let Najee go.

7. Tyler Baron - hit up Tennessee again, as Baron is a pass rusher, but would likely be JAG and a special teamer.
I honestly didn't see that Mock. But two same players this early is crazy.

If Trotter was there in round two I would jump at it. I honestly think he gets drafted before we pick in the first. Hell, I think both the Clemson ILB have a good chance of going before we pick. So if we got him in round two I would be pumped.

DeJean is a popular pick for the Steelers. Personally, I'd still be looking at the best DL possible. Benton is looking good but Cam is done in a year or two. Ogunjobi is no spring chicken even though they just signed him. I still think our DL is a big part of our problem and they need a huge body to stuff the run and get a push in the middle on passing downs. It would not surprise me to see a WR picked in the first 3 rounds and a RB not far behind especially if they don't pick up Najee's 5th year option.
DLinemen take their time to develop, we might have something in Leal, Benton looks like the real deal. A 3rd young DT will help in the future but we can't expect much in the first couple of seasons, which might move this pick to a falling prospect in the 2nd round

From what I have seen for the 5-tech there's not a lot out there. There's guys who have potential but not great film and guys who have great film but don't fit the system. So I agree but don't see the value early on. I really like Montez Sweats brother who would play the 0 technique and maybe we could move Benton over.

I honestly didn't see that Mock. But two same players this early is crazy.
i only saw it since it's click bait when i have to open Edge for work

Would it be a waste to use the 1st round on a center, because it seems to be a significant need.
Bulking up on a true ILB seems so as well. How much does Cam have left in the tank?
Trice is this year's Austin II and could be a gem in the secondary.

First round should be an OC.

B
P
A

They have free agency to fill urgent needs.

I don't think I am taking a RB in 3.

They need a CB,C,and RT upgrade. They need a better third WR, they need a DE to groom if they think Benton will stay at NT.

Enough right there to not take a luxury pick.

B
P
A

They have free agency to fill urgent needs.

I don't think I am taking a RB in 3.

They need a CB,C,and RT upgrade. They need a better third WR, they need a DE to groom if they think Benton will stay at NT.

Enough right there to not take a luxury pick.
I would definitely move benton to DT, way easier to find a NT

Would it be a waste to use the 1st round on a center, because it seems to be a significant need.
Bulking up on a true ILB seems so as well. How much does Cam have left in the tank?

Don’t bring in a 3rd rounder and try making him a starting center———- wait, that’s already been a thing.

Salute the nation

Van Pran is head and shoulders better than anyone else imo. Getting him in the second still could be a reach because he is limited athletically. But he brings experience and a nasty demeanor. I think he has a good shot at beating out mason cole year one

Last edited:
I'd love this draft. The Steelers have to enter the offseason assuming they need a starting cornerback. If Trice or Rush work out, then you have excellent depth. Plus, that first-round pick would look great in the black and gold. The next two picks would be solid as well. I never have an issue taking a lineman from a team that has a good offensive line each year and Corum just produces. I think he can be a playmaker at the next level and the Steelers don't have enough of those on offense. If Jones moves to left tackle, they could probably find an affordable right tackle in free agency if Moore doesn't make the switch. Maybe they leave Jones at RT and stick with Moore at LT, either way, upgrading at center will upgrade the entire line.

I'd love this draft. The Steelers have to enter the offseason assuming they need a starting cornerback. If Trice or Rush work out, then you have excellent depth. Plus, that first-round pick would look great in the black and gold. The next two picks would be solid as well. I never have an issue taking a lineman from a team that has a good offensive line each year and Corum just produces. I think he can be a playmaker at the next level and the Steelers don't have enough of those on offense. If Jones moves to left tackle, they could probably find an affordable right tackle in free agency if Moore doesn't make the switch. Maybe they leave Jones at RT and stick with Moore at LT, either way, upgrading at center will upgrade the entire line.
Yeah but is Corum helping Kenny as much as an upgrade at WR or TE would?

Debatable that he would see more playing time in comparison what is on this roster. With Najee and Warren in front of him Vs Pickens and DJ and a quick positional dropoff and very little behind an often injured Muth.

Unless you are shipping off Najee, I would prefer a TE or WR which would give Kenny another much needed option.

Debatable that he would see more playing time in comparison what is on this roster. With Najee and Warren in front of him Vs Pickens and DJ and a quick positional dropoff and very little behind an often injured Muth.

Unless you are shipping off Najee, I would prefer a TE or WR which would give Kenny another much needed option.

If we are keeping our current RBs, we do NOT need a RB in any of the first three rounds. Najee was taken to high when Creed Humphrys was there (not Najee’s fault for being drafted).

High importance on picking trench, both sides.

Somehow our coaching needs up-graded as well. Jones sat 1/2 season even though he is the BEST Tackle on the roster.

Salute the nation

If we are keeping our current RBs, we do NOT need a RB in any of the first three rounds. Najee was taken to high when Creed Humphrys was there (not Najee’s fault for being drafted).

High importance on picking trench, both sides.

Somehow our coaching needs up-graded as well. Jones sat 1/2 season even though he is the BEST Tackle on the roster.

Salute the nation
I have a feeling Chukes is going to be shipped off when trade eligible starts...

As much as I like TEs (pun intended), the truth is that this team wastes their talent so then it isn't worth a high pick. Just get a late round blocker

I'm always good with adding more talent at wide receiver. Tight end is a waste in this current offense (which is nuts, a tight end should be one of the go-to options for any QB).

I'm fine with moving Najee for a draft pick.