• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Week 2 Observations @ Jaguars....

Pickett could not have played any better than he has, but it’s preseason nonetheless. I think it’s premature to anoint him as the starter over a veteran and Pro Bowl QB.

I thought Robinson was an ILB?

It might just be Tomlin wanting to evaluate the QBs and the result of down and distance situations, but through two games the Steelers are throwing the ball way more than running it. I think a more balanced attack is their best shot at a winning season.

The thing about the o-line is the coach they hired… we hire a good coach and he get pretty good blocking… we don’t hire a good one we don’t get good blocking pretty simple… why did coach Tomlin hire a journeyman? He knew he was retooling a ”young” line… can’t help but wonder what munch would have dont with this unit. They didn’t look like they could block high schoolers 2 games now… no communications! Moore kept looking at the left guard like he wasn’t getting the help he expected they better get it figured out you think mason got booed? Wait till kenny gets clobbered in a key situation boos with rain!

Well, Tomlin said it straight out - you can go with a great OL or give the QB weapons. Tomlin prefers weapons!
His famous words after our 2008 Draft when he took Rashard Mendenhall & Limas Sweed in the first 2 rounds despite having a terrible O-line. Long story short it didn't work and they started to rebuild the O-line after the 2009 season with Maurkice Pouncey.

I haven't watched the game yet, but looking at the stat line is scary. 24 total yards rushing? The top rusher was a wide receiver (Sims with 11 yards), and second was a quarterback (Trubisky with 10)? The top running back had two carries for 1 yard? And the second one had three carriers for -2 yards? Please tell me the stat line on NFL.com is wrong.

I haven't watched the game yet, but looking at the stat line is scary. 24 total yards rushing? The top rusher was a wide receiver (Sims with 11 yards), and second was a quarterback (Trubisky with 10)? The top running back had two carries for 1 yard? And the second one had three carriers for -2 yards? Please tell me the stat line on NFL.com is wrong.
It was as bad as the stats look.

Oline stinks period. They need to start drafting better talent. Start by using at least a top-3 pick on the position every other year, IMO.

Snell stinks. Don't understand why they keep trying to run Mcfarland inside. He looked like an NFL rb when they got him to the edges last week.

WR-too bad we can't keep 10. Sims and Vaughns both flashed potential again. Cutting to 5 or 6 will be a challenge.

Hard to judge the qb battle with crap for an Oline. Pickett looked the best out of the three in this game.

Had to laugh when the jags homer announcer said their run game was "having success against a stout Steeler D". Didn't we finish last in rush defense last year?

I was all for giving Bush another chance to prove his worth. The bottom line is he is being outplayed by rookies and undrafted guys.

The secondary was inconsistent. They are a relatively young group. Hope they can improve.

Last edited:
Pressley seems to be the guy they drafted last year, which is a good thing because with this o-line, he's going to see lots of playing time.

The starting D will be fine as long as long as everyone stays healthy, but we may need 3 QB's to get through the year.

Oline will cost us many games with lack of ability and the holding calls. D line backups for sure are as bad as the OL. Our tackling inability cost us to many extra yards, plus not being able to get off the field on third and long. WE have heard over and over how good this defense is. Was not shown last night.

In no particular order:

1) I had high hopes for Daniels (had the same for Trai Turner last year), but so far he doesn't look very good.

2) Dan Moore got abused. Thought he'd be better in year 2. Not the case.

3) Benny Snell just doesn't break many tackles, and is not elusive at the NFL level. Time to move on.

4) Mobility at the quarterback position is going to make the Steelers offense better this season. What would have been 3 or 4 sure-fire sacks in 2021 have already been avoided. When the quarterbacks had time, they were accurate. Not sure why they gave the third quarter reps to Rudolph; they know what they have with him, and Pickett needs NFL experience, especially with only 3 preseason games now on the schedule.

5) They are deep at WR. DJ is a great route-runner, but his hands are still suspect for a true #1 receiver. The deep ball thrown by Trubisky after that crazy scramble went right through Johnson's hands. It was a tough adjustment to the ball, but he's got to make those kind of big plays for this team.

6) I can't believe that anything other than Tomlin's pride will be the reason Bush is one of the starting inside linebackers on week one. He's horrendous, and on top of it, he doesn't even give enough effort to look like practice squad material.

7) Spillane looked much improved, especially in coverage, and they had better find a spot on the roster for Mark Robinson -- he is very raw, but may have enormous potential down the road.

8) Sutton was beaten cleanly several times for potential first downs, but Lawrence missed the receiver. He's probably the biggest concern in the secondary.

9) Alualu looked decent, good to see him back out there. I still have no idea what they see in Wormley. Ogunjobi seems like a good depth pickup for the defensive line.

10) Harvin will be fine.

My thoughts:

1: O-line is atrocious
2: As Zona said, keep the QBs, with above said line, we might need them all
3: Warren runs hard. Old school Pittsburgh physical runner
4:Impressed with Heywards hands in week one. Is he TE or FB?
5: Watt looks ready. He’s a beast
6:Bush is embarrassing to watch. Avoids contact. Not a good quality when you’re a MIDDLE LINEBACKER!!!!!!
7: Pleasantly surprised with Trubiskys mobility. He’s gonna need it
8: Pickens looks like a monster, steal of the draft?
9:Run D still looks soft AF
10: Thank god it’s finally here!!! Here we go STEELERS, here we go!!!!!!

They just cut Tucker, who was raw AF, to sogn a guy who was an UDFA last year… they are bringing in cheap low end guys all the time.. im beginning to worry about our Oline scouts…

This is actually my biggest concern -

6) I can't believe that anything other than Tomlin's pride will be the reason Bush is one of the starting inside linebackers on week one. He's horrendous, and on top of it, he doesn't even give enough effort to look like practice squad material.

If you start Pickett now you will just turn him into David Carr. The FO should be ashamed of itself trotting out this pathetic excuse for an O-line.
I had the same thought. A young qb constantly running for his life, is going to pick up some bad habits. As good as he's looked, I don't think about starting him until LT and LG are un ******.

In no particular order:

1) I had high hopes for Daniels (had the same for Trai Turner last year), but so far he doesn't look very good.

Agreed. No idea why Daniels blocked air on several plays.

2) Dan Moore got abused. Thought he'd be better in year 2. Not the case.

And it is THE SAME DAMN THING, every time. DE speed rushes, beats Moore to the edge, Moore shoves the pass rusher's left shoulder, pass rusher is pushed into the QB's lap.

Jesus ******* Christ, set up 2' to your left, Moore. Guy tries to beat you inside, he hits traffic as Green's defender is blowing past Green and the two defenders are likely to have a high-speed collision!

4) Mobility at the quarterback position is going to make the Steelers offense better this season. What would have been 3 or 4 sure-fire sacks in 2021 have already been avoided. When the quarterbacks had time, they were accurate.

Agreed. If the line can do an AVERAGE job and give Trubisky 3 seconds, he can move around and buy time if nobody is open by then. But if he is dodging defenders after 1.0 seconds, the offense is ******.

Never underestimate the power of Tomlin's pride and obstinance.

7) Spillane looked much improved, especially in coverage, and they had better find a spot on the roster for Mark Robinson -- he is very raw, but may have enormous potential down the road.

Robinson looks like more of a starting NFL LB'er right now than does Bush.

8) Sutton was beaten cleanly several times for potential first downs, but Lawrence missed the receiver. He's probably the biggest concern in the secondary.

Sutton was beat about 10x on the shallow cross. Here is a photo of him in "coverage":

1250991947631.jpg

I had the same thought. A young qb constantly running for his life, is going to pick up some bad habits. As good as he's looked, I don't think about starting him until LT and LG are un ******.
So we will start Pickett when he is in his 30s.

And it is THE SAME DAMN THING, every time. DE speed rushes, beats Moore to the edge, Moore shoves the pass rusher's left shoulder, pass rusher is pushed into the QB's lap.
That's been a major issue with Moore this preseason. His mistakes are the same thing we saw last year. You want to see growth and progression to improve on the weaknesses and Moore hasn't shown that. The same with Green as he transitioned to guard. He's still overpowered or he still whiffs on blocks. On the surface it appears like zero growth in their game and that's pretty disappointing.