• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

West By God Virginia.

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in Huntington, WV. Went to to a nice steel mill but saw some **** on the way that would make your toes curl. Ghettos right down there with Gary and Baltimore. I knew Appalachia was poor but damn, I got some culture shock today. I'm on Marshall's campus tonight, which is ok, but I can't wait to get the hell out of here and go to Pittsburgh tomorrow. You know your University sucks when it's famous for a plane crash and Randy piece of **** Moss.

Ok, maybe not Gary and Crackmore, but pretty frickin bad.

Last edited:
Gary's too awesome of a name to be linked to that cesspool. Should be named Brian or David.

I spend a lot of time in WV. there are nicer parts but there are a lot of run down spots too... hell that's everywhere... Everyone knows places in Detroit or Baltimore can be mostly associated to a war zone... but there are plenty of places that are a few steps away from 3rd world country status... some of the places in Shreveport La are horrible, for instance... people live in shacks and houses that look condemned...makes Hazelwood and the ilk look fantastic in comparison. Its sad.

I spend a lot of time in WV. there are nicer parts but there are a lot of run down spots too... hell that's everywhere... Everyone knows places in Detroit or Baltimore can be mostly associated to a war zone... but there are plenty of places that are a few steps away from 3rd world country status... some of the places in Shreveport La are horrible, for instance... people live in shacks and houses that look condemned...makes Hazelwood and the ilk look fantastic in comparison. Its sad.

I go to Detroit every month. I didn't compare them because that's the bottom of the barrel. It doesn't get any worse. Ruled by liberals for decades, by the way.

I go to Detroit every month. I didn't compare them because that's the bottom of the barrel. It doesn't get any worse. Ruled by liberals for decades, by the way.

Yep, when I'm up there we drive through parts where every other house is burned down or damaged and its not uncommon to see burned out vehicles on the road... its depressing when the houses left have bars behind the bars on the windows

I lived most of my life in Battle Creek, I actually got to see what was already a **** hole in Detroit turn into a cess pool.

I can't post it from my phone but there's a time lapse video of the downfall of Detroit starting with the reign of libtard Coleman Kelly.

In WV half everything is named for Sen. Robert Byrd, D-KKK. You don't have to go real far from where I live to Chester, WV and Wellsville, OH and it's a whole different world.

I can't post it from my phone but there's a time lapse video of the downfall of Detroit starting with the reign of libtard Coleman Kelly.

Coleman Young. Actually he encouraged white flight because it left the city with a higher percentage of black residents who would surely vote for him. Over time taxes and crime chased out much of the auto industry AND their supplies and that's what you end up with.

Tell Bernie that WV isn't poor....and white.

WV is my home state, so ya'll back the **** off.

But seriously, it is truly amazing how diverse and different the state is, like different countries.

I grew up in the Eastern Panhandle - that little arm that sticks out to the right. 6 miles from MD, 11 miles from VA, 1 hour 20 minutes from DC. It was WV, it was rural, it was a 2 stoplight town, but we were like a sleeper community just a short drive from DC and Baltimore. No coal, none of the stuff you see elsewhere.

Go to the Northern Panhandle - that point that sticks straight up - and it's like Pittsburgh, in terms of its culture. No coal. But tied to steel. Completely different class of people. Though they are West Virginians, they are nothing like Eastern Panhandle West Virginians, which are more like DC folk.

Northern WV around Morgantown is also unique in its culture. Very different from western WV, where Indy is, and then southern WV where the capitol, Charleston is located, which is a culture more like Kentucky and Southern Ohio.

It's a strange state because of the distance between these sections. Case in point. From the Eastern Panhandle, one can be to the beach in 3.5 hours, Philadelphia in 3 hours, New York City in 5.5 hours, Richmond VA in 3 hours and even into NC in 5.5 hours. However, to travel from the Eastern Panhandle to the West Virginia state capitol in Charleston, it's a 5 hour trip. It's a lot longer from the Northern Panhandle to Charleston. They can be to Buffalo before they can get to their own capitol. It makes for very distinct and different parts of the state.

There are parts that are really really bad, true Appalachia, and/or areas like Indy is seeing. It's always been amazing to me though how very different the state is, by section.

Stop spreading those lies. We all know there aren't any poor areas unless they are in the inner city. The main stream media and the liberals say so.

WV is my home state, so ya'll back the **** off.

But seriously, it is truly amazing how diverse and different the state is, like different countries.

I grew up in the Eastern Panhandle - that little arm that sticks out to the right. 6 miles from MD, 11 miles from VA, 1 hour 20 minutes from DC. It was WV, it was rural, it was a 2 stoplight town, but we were like a sleeper community just a short drive from DC and Baltimore. No coal, none of the stuff you see elsewhere.

Go to the Northern Panhandle - that point that sticks straight up - and it's like Pittsburgh, in terms of its culture. No coal. But tied to steel. Completely different class of people. Though they are West Virginians, they are nothing like Eastern Panhandle West Virginians, which are more like DC folk.

Northern WV around Morgantown is also unique in its culture. Very different from western WV, where Indy is, and then southern WV where the capitol, Charleston is located, which is a culture more like Kentucky and Southern Ohio.

It's a strange state because of the distance between these sections. Case in point. From the Eastern Panhandle, one can be to the beach in 3.5 hours, Philadelphia in 3 hours, New York City in 5.5 hours, Richmond VA in 3 hours and even into NC in 5.5 hours. However, to travel from the Eastern Panhandle to the West Virginia state capitol in Charleston, it's a 5 hour trip. It's a lot longer from the Northern Panhandle to Charleston. They can be to Buffalo before they can get to their own capitol. It makes for very distinct and different parts of the state.

There are parts that are really really bad, true Appalachia, and/or areas like Indy is seeing. It's always been amazing to me though how very different the state is, by section.

So it sounds like you grew up somewhere between Falling Waters And Martinsburg? I'm across the river in Hagerstown.